OT: Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
EHM is god awful when it comes to accurate player ratings or simming accurately. Once had Ladd go on a 25+ game goaless streak while playing on the top line and 1st PP unit. Jets always end up in the bottom 5 with default TBL rosters.

Other issues with EHM are hidden or hard to get to menus, (somewhat rectified in 2015 from 2007, but still awful) lack of keyboard shortcuts and vacation mode still doesn't work yet.

With all that being said, I still like EHM better than FHM. Had nothing but issues with FHM including the game refusing to sim because I did not have a fully dressed lineup when I did (even tried coach setting lineup/org. Nothing). This happened through multiple playthroughs and support never got back to me. I loved the interface and far more accurate simming, but the lack of support and overall bad experience with FHM has turned me off to ever buying it again. Maybe I will try the latest update to the FHM1 sim engine one day, but not anytime soon.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
the long

The most important thing for me would be realistic sim results which FHM2 provides from what I have read. Also I like the ability to be able to customize and the historic replay aspect of FHM.

However, I am a patient guy so I can wait on them fixing the CBA related stuff before I buy it. (be it this version or the next)

I have plaved the OOTP baseball series and it is outstanding and because of this I am confident that it will be be a better series in the long run. I played the previous version of Eastside and wasn't happy with the results of stats in the game, way too many SOG per game, hits, etc. The in game editor in FHM is also huge for me.

Like I said I will wait till they get the rules and CBA stuff more accurate (fixed) but to me getting a realistic sim engine is more important and from what I have read they have done this.

also with their baseball series they have been very good at listening to complaints and providing solutions and fixes (through their website forum) hopefully that will transfer over to their hockey side.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm guessing you haven't played the new FHM that much. You can take a few bad CBA rules, which I'm guessing is all you care about, or you can take a completely broken game where the Leafs can win the cup with a complete lack of talent in the 15/16 season. FHM had a much better game in terms of outcomes and realism.
Scouting interface destroys EHM in every way. Simpler navigation and you don't have to save your scouting reports for later. Or your searches.
Ufa player finder is much improved. Just check off UFA in the filters.
The trade AI is much improved and actually much better than EHM.
It seems to me like you saw a few CBA booboos and made your decision based almost entirely on that. But hey its your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Yeah paid 30 bucks just to open it and declare I don't like it. Just so I can complain here. Think about it for a sec on whether that's likely or not.

Not booboos, easily fixable dumb CBA mistakes. I'd expect it from a NHL 16 like game, not from a text sim. The realism is whole damn point.

Scouting interface is just...bad. Hard to get a read on anything besides the star rankings. Dislike it.

UFA only gives you full UFA's. It's super super ridiculously annoying. I want to sign a player out of Europe or AHL I have to manually go find that player.

Disagree about trade AI being better than EHM. Also dislike AI teams selecting dumb teams like for example what happened in my game. Opened the game and NYI released the rights 2015 5th round pick Ryan Pilon for no reason in August 2015. Nashville signs him as a UFA. He then makes the team despite being worse than every one of their AHL D. Spends the year as #8/9 D for Nashville, playing 4 games and healthy scratch for 78. This was not a random occurance over 30 players from the 2015 draft spent time NHL rosters in 2015-16 and about 15-20 spent the whole year, despite not being used mostly and worse than AHL players.

Did I mention the constant crashing yet? Make sure you save very very often.

EHM is god awful when it comes to accurate player ratings or simming accurately. Once had Ladd go on a 25+ game goaless streak while playing on the top line and 1st PP unit. Jets always end up in the bottom 5 with default TBL rosters.

Other issues with EHM are hidden or hard to get to menus, (somewhat rectified in 2015 from 2007, but still awful) lack of keyboard shortcuts and vacation mode still doesn't work yet.

With all that being said, I still like EHM better than FHM. Had nothing but issues with FHM including the game refusing to sim because I did not have a fully dressed lineup when I did (even tried coach setting lineup/org. Nothing). This happened through multiple playthroughs and support never got back to me. I loved the interface and far more accurate simming, but the lack of support and overall bad experience with FHM has turned me off to ever buying it again. Maybe I will try the latest update to the FHM1 sim engine one day, but not anytime soon.

See I find it the exact opposite. FHM has a very hard to navigate system. Things are misplaced, hidden, or just poorly presented, IMO.

TBL are just fan made rosters. You can easily make your own if you want. In fact some helpful members here did when EHM was released.

FHM is a game I really really wanted to love. So much promise but it has failed on far too many levels. EHM is just such a far superior product it's not even funny.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That seems to be the breaker for most people when it comes to FHM. They pretty much gave up entirely on FHM1 and a lot of people have the sour taste left in their mouth. But a far as FHM2 goes they have improved leaps and bounds. It's fully playable now, I have only once come across a crash and that was in an early build well before release.
They are working on the CBA and are taking lots of suggestions from the crowd based on feedback from it.
EHM has some incredibly broken gameplay and clunky in-game menus that are hard to navigate. I do however like their Training Camp and have been on the FHM2 devs to incorporate something like it into their games.
FHM2 will get much better over the course of this season though. They have a lot to work on when it comes to CBA rules and player salaries but it's more playable to EHM. The outcomes are always realistic and if you think someone is rated to highly or low you just change it right then and there without having to download a 3rd party editor.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That seems to be the breaker for most people when it comes to FHM. They pretty much gave up entirely on FHM1 and a lot of people have the sour taste left in their mouth. But a far as FHM2 goes they have improved leaps and bounds. It's fully playable now, I have only once come across a crash and that was in an early build well before release.
They are working on the CBA and are taking lots of suggestions from the crowd based on feedback from it.
EHM has some incredibly broken gameplay and clunky in-game menus that are hard to navigate. I do however like their Training Camp and have been on the FHM2 devs to incorporate something like it into their games.
FHM2 will get much better over the course of this season though. They have a lot to work on when it comes to CBA rules and player salaries but it's more playable to EHM. The outcomes are always realistic and if you think someone is rated to highly or low you just change it right then and there without having to download a 3rd party editor.

I have lost 2 save files (reached a point I can't progress past without a crash both at game 1 of 2nd season) and it usually crashes once or twice per in game year for me.

FHM2 has improved leaps and bounds. It's still well behind EHM. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah paid 30 bucks just to open it and declare I don't like it. Just so I can complain here. Think about it for a sec on whether that's likely or not.

Not booboos, easily fixable dumb CBA mistakes. I'd expect it from a NHL 16 like game, not from a text sim. The realism is whole damn point.

Scouting interface is just...bad. Hard to get a read on anything besides the star rankings. Dislike it.

UFA only gives you full UFA's. It's super super ridiculously annoying. I want to sign a player out of Europe or AHL I have to manually go find that player.

Disagree about trade AI being better than EHM. Also dislike AI teams selecting dumb teams like for example what happened in my game. Opened the game and NYI released the rights 2015 5th round pick Ryan Pilon for no reason in August 2015. Nashville signs him as a UFA. He then makes the team despite being worse than every one of their AHL D. Spends the year as #8/9 D for Nashville, playing 4 games and healthy scratch for 78. This was not a random occurance over 30 players from the 2015 draft spent time NHL rosters in 2015-16 and about 15-20 spent the whole year, despite not being used mostly and worse than AHL players.

Did I mention the constant crashing yet? Make sure you save very very often.

Honestly your the only person I know, and I play in a full 30 person FHM2 online league, that has had constant crashing?

I've had EHM games where 200 PIMs get handed out in a single game.
Seasons when almost an entire team goes down for an extended period of time with the exact same injury.
I've seen 60+ point players hit waivers while in the primes of their careers. And trades that just shouldn't happen. Both games have their broken points but IMO FHM2 is further along in dealing with them.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have lost 2 save files (reached a point I can't progress past without a crash both at game 1 of 2nd season) and it usually crashes once or twice per in game year for me.

FHM2 has improved leaps and bounds. It's still well behind EHM. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years.

Honestly you're the only person I know that this has happened too.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

What will set FHM apart for me is the historical mode. The ability to alter history by taking over a franchise like say the Jets in 1996 and seeing how they turned out had they never moved to Phoenix. I think you can play as far back as the 30's.

This thread on their forum intrigued me

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-2-dynasty-reports/258927-history-hockey.html

if you look at Gretzky's point totals in that thread that looks pretty realistic to me (love the team he played for as well)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What will set FHM apart for me is the historical mode. The ability to alter history by taking over a franchise like say the Jets in 1996 and seeing how they turned out had they never moved to Phoenix. I think you can play as far back as the 30's.

This thread on their forum intrigued me

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-2-dynasty-reports/258927-history-hockey.html

Historical mode has so much potential. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard people are having a lot of fun with it. One thing they are having trouble with is the enforcer players penalty minute time. It's getting better but they seem to be off still. Nothing major though.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
ITS THAT TIME GENTS!

THE 2015/16 ROSTERS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!

HEAD OVER TO TBL TO GET EM WHILE THEYRE HOT!

(also, I fully expect you guys to make updated rosters better than the current one)

(I haven't played with these new rosters yet)

(I'm going to try to do my own updates later with the editor but I still dont understand Current Ability)

GO FORTH MY FRIENDS.

:laugh:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
yeah nice, finally!

I played a fantasy draft season last week. I went to the SC fnals with this lineup:

JVR - Giroux - Voracek
Tatar - Perreault - Okposo
Pearson - Turris - Hayes
Clifford - Gaustad - Baertschi

Yandle - Subban
B. Smith - Vatanen
Wiercioch - Klingberg

Varlamov
Neuvirth

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
The roster has been released, I think what you want to look for 8.0a (not 8.0).

It was about a different issue. I got that haha.

(I hadnt updated EHM and still had the game set in 2014)

(the schedule is still 2014's even tho it's in 2015 FYI)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Started a new season as the Jets. Have done everything I can to get Ladd and Buff signed to new contracts. They won't even negotiate with me... buggers. Looks like the reality of the EHM world is reflective of the real world.

Let's see who comes out on top re: Ladd and Buff....

Me in the EHM universe OR Chevy in the real universe. :popcorn:

One thing I know is if I let Buff and Ladd walk for nothing... I'm not getting fired.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So according to the WFP...

Ladd - 6 years - $41 million+ (at least $6.8 million cap hit)
Buff - 8 years - $55 million ($6.875 million)
Troubs - 8 years - $56 million+ (at least $7 million cap hit)

I'm just getting to Christmas in the 2015-16 season of EHM and I just signed some players finally:

Ladd - 4 years - $20 million ( $5 million cap hit )
Scheifele - 3 years - $7.95 million ( $2.65 million cap hit )
Trouba - 4 years - $13.52 million ( $3.38 million cap hit )

Buff - still won't negotiate. Offered him out to the whole league, 10 teams offered back the same thing... 3rd round and 4th round 2016 draft picks.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
So according to the WFP...

Ladd - 6 years - $41 million+ (at least $6.8 million cap hit)
Buff - 8 years - $55 million ($6.875 million)
Troubs - 8 years - $56 million+ (at least $7 million cap hit)

I'm just getting to Christmas in the 2015-16 season of EHM and I just signed some players finally:

Ladd - 4 years - $20 million ( $5 million cap hit )
Scheifele - 3 years - $7.95 million ( $2.65 million cap hit )
Trouba - 4 years - $13.52 million ( $3.38 million cap hit )

Buff - still won't negotiate. Offered him out to the whole league, 10 teams offered back the same thing... 3rd round and 4th round 2016 draft picks.

I think it's Byfuglien's default setting, he wont move an inch for me either.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
But when? During the season?

Yeah. I usually stop the sim at December 30th, when you get that message with a list of players needing to be re-signed and then I go down the list making my offers. Of course some don't wish to talk re-signing till after the season and some go to UFA, but I don't think I've had a certain player that holds out every time I start a new file.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Upgraded my OOTP last week and was offered FHM2 for $9.99 USD. Bought it, tried playing it a couple times. So glitchy I gave up and uninstalled it. Couldn't even get through a game without it crashing or stalling. Couldn't load a saved game when I came back to it. Garbage. Honestly can't believe that OOTP would put a game out for public consumption with their brand on it that is that bad.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Upgraded my OOTP last week and was offered FHM2 for $9.99 USD. Bought it, tried playing it a couple times. So glitchy I gave up and uninstalled it. Couldn't even get through a game without it crashing or stalling. Couldn't load a saved game when I came back to it. Garbage. Honestly can't believe that OOTP would put a game out for public consumption with their brand on it that is that bad.

Tell me about it. I bought both FHM and FHM2, they are garbage.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Mine works fine. Have 5 or 6 different saves as well as an online league going right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad