Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Title Defense Day 1: Devils @ Rangers

Wolfy*

Zucc's presence on the ice is what has kept kreider from having his bell rung so far

You got that right. Kreider would never dare to do anything like this :D

lervs1u.gif

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Lol please you probably think Zucc would win against the same heavyweights
Glad someone called out his nonsensical agenda. It's like Kreider is a threat to Zucc's awesomeness so we have to hear of these crazy fighting scenarios. Someone else posted what is certainly the case. Kreider is stronger than most of these "heavyweights", dont think it'll be an issue to hold someone off if he gets jumped.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
It is starting to become clear that Kreider has an established pattern. We like to call it chippy. If he had on another jersey, he would be despised here.

One thing for sure is that Kreider is not accidentally making things happen. He is very aware of his actions.
I think that this is one of the relatively rare cases where fans of a particular team have a better understanding of a player's situation due to watching that player day in, day out, than fans of other teams. As opposed to pure homerism.

The established pattern is aggressive play combined with both crashing the net and the speed to get behind defenders. He's definitely chippy in terms of initiating and responding to physicality, but I don't think that extends to the times he has hit goaltenders.

In my opinion I've yet to see a replay of Kreider running into a goaltender at speed that wasn't (apparently) caused by contact from a defender who had been beaten and was doing anything he could to upset Kreider's balance/shot. It works, but an off-balance Kreider is a very dangerous thing, being both one of the fastest and largest players in the NHL.

I think the takeaway here is not "Kreider needs to change how he plays around the net." I think it's "Defenders need to stop taking swipes at Kreider after they have no chance of catching him."

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just saw the game, a few thoughts.

Good game for the opener of preseason. You can tell NJ have a ton of vets and many of them unsigned, that team has been skating hard and played real well.

So did we.

Hayes was awsome. I love him already. Ready? Maybe not, maybe some time in HFD wouldn't hurt him. But he will become a valuble player for us.

Miller is a good player and he was a good player last season. He is ready now and will mature a lot over the coming years. I am not sure who I want playing RW with Miller and Hags though, don't think Malone necessarily is a great fit with them. Cally would have been perfect. Fast? Haggerty? Down the line that is. We will see. Glass? I don't mid Glass, he does his job. Some other things aren't pretty, but he does his job. Malone goes a bit too much to the net for my liking, you don't want Hags/JT being forced to pay attention to being the third guy back all the time...

People crap on John Moore. One thing. AV wants his Ds to move the puck. A defenseman can play three ways in a sense:
1. Move the puck and never fail.
2. Move the puck and fail at times.
3. Not move the puck and play a risk free game.

What way do the Moore haters think AV want Moore to play? It's down to 2 or 3. This is a half reject making what 900k per year on a 3rd pairing. AV will of course pick 2. Should we trash him because he fails at times? WHY? I mean, I never saw anyone trash Dorsett for not playing like Zucc with the puck, but we should trash Moore for not being able to move the puck like McD? Don't make sense.

Ray's kids moves their feet well.

Kreider hopefully is going to have a big year.

I thought D Boyle was awsome. So valuble offensively.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It really is just one game, but I really liked the puck control and confidence that Hayes had. Didn't look that out of place. I get the feeling that he'll start with Hartford, but make the NHL later this year.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Glad someone called out his nonsensical agenda. It's like Kreider is a threat to Zucc's awesomeness so we have to hear of these crazy fighting scenarios. Someone else posted what is certainly the case. Kreider is stronger than most of these "heavyweights", dont think it'll be an issue to hold someone off if he gets jumped.

I'm not really sure what his agenda is. He'll happily bash any player except Zucc. Its kinda confusing because there isnt really a specific player hes against. Its like the rangers wouldnt be a legitimate NHL team without Zucc.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I think Kreider and most of the Rangers are going to remain very disciplined when crashing to the net. As we saw last year, the Rangers take some of the least amount of penalties throughout the entire league.

If someone is going to try and get a piece of Kreider that is not an enforcer, and somewhat of a positive factor for the opposition, I believe he will fight him.

Kreider is not going to fight a goon- the Rangers and Kreider understand his value on the ice. That is where you let your emotions roll off, and you strategically put out a Glass or a Malone against that goon.

However, I do believe he will have to answer the bell if he keeps playing the way he is playing, there is no doubt about that. And he is not going to stop playing the way he is going to play which is the beautiful part of it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We don't want Kreider, esp. on a regular basis, doing anything that goes away from legit clean hard checks into goonery.

Fair play and sportsmanship aside, there is no upside in it.

A - every min Kreider in penalty box, we are deprived of a superior asset
B - I don't think most of the fighters could 'take' Kreider, but one or two lucky punches are not good, even if you win the bout.
C - The biggest risk is an accident happens and he breaks his hand.

THAT we don't need.

I don't disagree with you Bern. But there is a difference between worrying about Kreider spending time in the box and risking injury vs. worrying about some goon coming in and beating his face in.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I don't think it's totally off base to suggest that Kreider might start getting some "attention" from other teams. It's already started.

To be most effective he has to use his size and speed aggressively. I'm not concerned. He can handle it...and I have little doubt that the Rangers will provide him with some back up.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so when are first cuts? Still real early but kids need to have great camps to beat out the vets at this point

locks- Nash, Brassard, Zuc, MSL, Stepan, Kreider, Hagelin, Stempniak, Gass, Moore
after that vets, Lombardi , Malone. I think Miller is gonna make it.

so Fast needs to keep impressing. Hayes starting in the minors is not terribe. Kristo has done well. etc etc

D is set IMO. Kostka will spare

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Most prospects will be sent back after the Wednesday rookie game. Duclair is supposedly being kept at least for the Friday preseason game though

AV said he's cut the roster down to 30 after the back to back against the Flyers next week

Wolfy*

He picked up Dion and threw him to the ice.

That was a slap fest since both are considered non-fighters.

I'll change my opinion about Kreider if he can answer the bell after running a goalie, and holds his own against a legitimate fighter.

Otherwise I'm worried that he'll really get his bottom whooped sooner or later.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Everybody gets whupped sooner or later.

We've all got it coming kid.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
....and he still picked up a big guy and threw him to the ice. Dion has fought every major heavy weight in hockey practically.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

I'll change my opinion about Kreider if he can answer the bell after running a goalie, and holds his own against a legitimate fighter.

Do you even know what running a goalie means? This is running a goalie:

Kreider getting tripped, pushed, and shoved into goalies is not the same thing.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

your boy zucc hasnt exactly beat anybody up either

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Forwards looked good, Defense did not, which is understandable in the first preseason game. Especially for a lot of new faces.

I think Hunwick made a case for himself. He was decent with the Bruins when he first came into the league. Possible 7th D or first taxi squad call up.

The forwards looked good, Hagelin and Kreider showed what NHL speed is to a bunch of guys that don't have it.

Everyone talking about Hayes, I think he looked OK. He sure is big and seemed to have decent hands, but man-oh-man is that skating stride UGLY.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Forwards looked good, Defense did not, which is understandable in the first preseason game. Especially for a lot of new faces.

I think Hunwick made a case for himself. He was decent with the Bruins when he first came into the league. Possible 7th D or first taxi squad call up.

The forwards looked good, Hagelin and Kreider showed what NHL speed is to a bunch of guys that don't have it.

Everyone talking about Hayes, I think he looked OK. He sure is big and seemed to have decent hands, but man-oh-man is that skating stride UGLY.
hayes was fine just needs some seasoning

Championship*

Please read and understand this:

You are completely wrong.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Yet somehow you are also trying to convince us that Zucc is some true tough guy. You want an example of someone who should be concerned about getting whopped it's Zuccarello. He stirs up a ton of crap, which I like, but the reason he can get away with things like the Parros stare down is because no NHL "tough guy" is actually going to go after him. It's a lose-lose; Parros either knocks out Zucc looking like a bully, or Zucc manages to flip him quickly and he gets laughed out of the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad