Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Title Defense Day 1: Devils @ Rangers

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
0u3dtG7.png

OMG DAY 1!!

All design credit goes to Nawls Stonebugle I just posted it.

Have at it. Danke schön.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Amateur hour, dilz.

Anyway, I thought Moore and Miller were the best players through two, but Miller had a meh 3rd.

The Hayes, Kreider, Kristo line got better as the game went on.

Kostka sucks, everyone else was pretty much whatever.

member 116805

I knew something was wrong with Kostka when he said "When i make then team" in his 1-on-1 with Cerny and i wasnt convinced at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Goaltending cost us that game, which I don't expect to be an issue. So I'm content. Had fun.

Championship*

+There were essentially only 2 of our top 6 forwards in the lineup tonight and we scored 4
+Kreider, Miller, Hagelin
+Hayes looked good, hopefully he'll get a bunch more looks

-Thank God we will normally have our regular defense. That was atrocious.
-Talbot on that 5th goal. Nah brah.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Was fun to watch def didn't look like a pre-season game from either side.

Rangers speed will only be even more dangerous this year. Should be fun all year long

gg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So.

I thought Miller looked great. He's definitely more ready than Hayes, who didn't look bad. Kristo was somewhat disappointing through 2, but had a very good third. Fast could easily make this team.

I thought Kostka looked terrible. Of the three guys fighting for that #7 spot, Kampfer had the best night, despite the awful gap control on the last Devils goal. Hunwick was decent.

Malone was great. He was skating better than I expected. Lombardi was just okay, but good on the PK. Mueller was good. Glass looked competent, though didn't really stand out.

Bourque is not an NHL player.

Not much point in evaluating Staal, Boyle, Hagelin, Kreider, or MSL. I thought Moore had a pretty good game after a shaky start.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
That was a fun first game. Outcome means nothing but I would have liked to see some OT just to have more hockey. Some good things happened out there. Miller, Moore, Malone, Glass, Bourque, Kreider and Hags all looked good. Staal, Boyle, Hayes, MSL and Lombardi looked OK. Kostka and Kampfer can leave on first cuts, but Hunwick looks like a really good option for 7th D. He impressed me.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
good game. Staal and Boyle looked fine just got to get their timing down ( that's normal since its the first game of the pre-season) miller had two good periods. Glass played fine. Malone played pretty good hope he makes the team. All in all glad they fought back to tie it even tho we lost. Can't wait to see team B.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Not a lot of surprises, which is nice. The good were good, the bad were bad. Not horrible for individuals being a B team.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
This game made me appreciate our D group that much more.

Fun game, I thought Kristo looked like Kristo. Great offensive upside, but not much of anything else.

Miller stood out the most.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Random thoughts on a few players I kept a close eye on tonight.

But first - **** you, Henrique. And boy is it great to have hockey back :nod:

Miller did some very good things, and some very head scratching things tonight. There were a few pucks he could've made better decisions with. One specifically that I can recall was in the first period where he made a bonehead decision on a breakout and gave it right to a Devil. It led to a long shift and a Dan Boyle defensive zone penalty. Another I remember was on a 3 on 2 rush where he tried to chip and chase himself down the boards when his trailer was wide open. Again, I think JT did some good things out there, he's still winning the battle for 3C.

Hayes seems very raw, but where JT lacks the hockey IQ, he excels. He made a lot of safe smart plays, and tried to do too much in other areas and it hurt him. It was great to get a good clean look at him, and I think he got better as the game went on.

Lombardi still has wheels. He should make the top 12.

Glass was rather invisible.

John Moore was horrid for most of the night. I thought Kostka looked better than him. Hunwick made a few good plays, too. Kampfer, meh.

There will come a point this season, maybe next season, where Kreider establishes himself as this teams most important forward. He might max as a 30/30 guy, but teams will have to prepare for him every night. What a force.

I think that's all I've got.

HOCKEY! :D

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Decent showing overall. Saw some good things from every single one of the kids. Hayes' size could be immediately useful at the NHL level, but based on tonights viewing, would definitely think spending some time in the AHL would best serve him.

Thought Kostka had a bit of a rough go tonight.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Koftka was a damn trainwreck. I watched him quite a bit. he's slower than cold molasses. I noticed he kept trying to slow the game down any time he was around the puck, and not in a positive way.

You can see glimmers with Hayes. I expect things from him. We shall see.

Edit: Kostca, Koftka, Costco, whatever...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad