Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Title Defense Day 1: Devils @ Rangers

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There is only one potential problem with Kreider having a rep, and that's if the refs start looking for him and call BS calls; like for instance if he gets blatantly pushed into the goalie.

Keep using your speed. Keep using your size. Keep driving the net.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It is starting to become clear that Kreider has an established pattern. We like to call it chippy. If he had on another jersey, he would be despised here.

One thing for sure is that Kreider is not accidentally making things happen. He is very aware of his actions.

That's not "for sure" at all. The thing that is for sure is that his speed and size is more than the vast majority of NHL defenders can handle. Emelin for example, CLEARLY tripped him into Price. There is no debating that anymore. We saw the video, in slow mo, over and over. You see Emelin's stick flex against his leg very, very clearly.

The guy is playing to his strengths. In one highly publicized case, a team that whined incessantly about everything made it a media trial when one of their own players tripped CK into their goalie. That's it. There's really nothing more to it than that.

He gives slower defenders an option when he's got a head of steam - get beat, or take a penalty. When they take the penalty, they generally haul down a huge man traveling very fast, often times right in front of the crease. Not a good idea if you're so concerned about your goalie's health.

I sincerely hope that he keeps playing exactly the same way. There is absolutely no reason to stop.

Kreider can't fight, so he's in big trouble if a coach says enough is enough and sends a heavy goon after him. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens against Montreal...

It's 2014. There's a 0% chance of that happening. You don't have to fight at all if someone engages you. Even if you drop them, a guy like Kreider could push/wrestle almost anyone to the ground rather than trade punches with a goon as a first line forward.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kreider can't fight, so he's in big trouble if a coach says enough is enough and sends a heavy goon after him. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens against Montreal...

This doesn't happen in the NHL anymore. Kreider would just cover up, the refs would separate them, and the goon would be suspended and the team fined and given a long penalty to kill off

It just doesn't happen.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I doubt kreider is in trouble. Brandon prust tried but Kreider basically laughed in his face. Phaneuf also tried to fight kreider and that didn't work out well for him either

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This doesn't happen in the NHL anymore. Kreider would just cover up, the refs would separate them, and the goon would be suspended and the team fined and given a long penalty to kill off

It just doesn't happen.

Not to mention, putting a "heavy goon" out against Kreider - Step - MSL would be just about the dumbest thing you could do. I'd legitimately welcome teams to do that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I doubt kreider is in trouble. Brandon prust tried but Kreider basically laughed in his face. Phaneuf also tried to fight kreider and that didn't work out well for him either

Not many players can come close to matching Kreiders strength (save guys like Chara).

Not to mention, putting a "heavy goon" out against Kreider - Step - MSL would be just about the dumbest thing you could do. I'd legitimately welcome teams to do that.

Kreider and MSL would skate circles around them.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It's one game and I always caution myself not to get ahead of myself, but I'm pretty positive. I have to agree on most of what is being said here today. The Rangers potentially have a TON of depth as they head into the new season.

Even guys that I had pretty much given up on like Bourque and Kristo looked pretty good.

It just makes the game against the Black Hawks that much more interesting.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah let Kreider run into goalies until he gets destroyed by a goon. Then when he returns with a black eye and a concussion on his medical file he'll probably leave the goalies alone.

What era of hockey do you think we're in? That doesn't happen anymore.

Championship*

Is this a for real statement?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The next few games should really settle the weeding out process as there is a discernable difference in a lot of players games that wasn't expected.

I think I is really pushing for a center role that he can thrive in.

Two guys that are NHL locks IMO are glass and Malone, even if they don't play everyday.

Lombo and Stempniak need to watch out for kids or others ousting them into the minors. I don't think they bring enough or other elements that offset some of the risers.

Kristo was very good, Hayes will need some time but I'm salivating at the thought of finally having a big play making center.

Malone to me is a guy that will play a valuable role on the power play and as a 4th line grinding presence.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider is a power forward who happens to skate like a gazelle. To get the most effectiveness a power forward needs to be around the oppositions goal as much as possible. His size, his strength, his speed--are all assets to his game. Not using one of them hurts not only him but the Rangers.

He's going to get goalie interference penalties. He and we are going to have to live with them. As we're finding out he's going to get both deserved and undeserved ones as well. Against Pittsburgh in last year's playoffs--he was knocked into Fleury by a Penguin after he broke through their defense and not only did he get a penalty but the goal he scored was called back. That was a bad call. Not getting called when he collided with Carey Price in the Canadiens series was the right call--though Alexei Emelin should have been called for tripping him up from behind.

Somehow this just turns into negatives about him--which comes down to A) he's too big and strong and B) he skates too fast. Excuse me but the way I see it I want the players on my team to skate as fast and as well as they can and want them to outwork and outmuscle the opposition while they're doing it. To play as hard a game as they're capable of. It's the other teams problem to try and figure out how to stop them and too ****ing bad if they can't.

Wolfy*

Do you have any examples of this happening at all? Or does it happen just because you say it happens?

So you have never seen a scrum around a goalie before...

This is a silly discussion. Yes Kreider has a reputation, and if he continues to mess with goalies he will have to answer for it one day, absolutely no question about that.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

This is a silly discussion. Yes Kreider has a reputation, and if he continues to mess with goalies he will have to answer for it one day, absolutely no question about that.
You're grossly exaggerating both Kreider's "reputation" and the hypothetical consequences resulting from it.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
I think I'm the only one who thought Chris Mueller played well, except for when he passed when he should have shot. He will not make the team but it's funny how we all can watch the same game and see the exact opposite.

One of the few problems I had with AV last year is he rarely punished Kreider and Pouliot for their stupid offensive zone penalties.

He has to to put his foot down this year with both old and new in the regular season, so it doesn't kill them come playoff time.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

That's not really what you're describing. You're talking more about a coach pushing a button on a guy and having a goon attack him. And, no, I don't really see that happening a lot.

Answer for it? Turtle while some goon swings wildly on him which earns the goon a suspension? And get a 5 minute major PP?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Yes, it is. :shakehead

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

No he won't!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

And what is the point you are getting at here? That he may have to get into a fight?

The Refs are not going to allow a good to wail away on him the way Schultz wailed on Rolfe

All he has to do is use his strength to keep said goon close so the only shots he takes are a few harmless rabbit punches.

And once he's back on the ice, he should run the goalie again.

Championship*

Please god put a slow footed goon out against kreider. He'd burn that fool so bad it'd make him look like a freakin' turnstile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad