Eastern Conference QF: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I think game two is going to be ugly. Like game two against Toronto ugly. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I also think we bounce back after game two and win the series in seven. I hope I'm right about that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People calling out Cam, but how many real opportunities did he have to even get a shot? He needs a playmaker to set him up and he didn't have one last night. By the way, what is wrong with Elvis? How did he get hurt?

Cam scored 35 while playing on a line with Jenner and Dubinsky. His goals were largely him driving the net and whacking at loose pucks. He used to take the body more, you might recall a line with Calvert and Dubinsky where Cam was like a little demon. He's become a passive player in the last few years.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and Monk

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
NBCSN is reshowing the 5th OT right now to kill time until the next game starts. It was my first time seeing on a big screen since it happened. Hedman lightly slashed Cam across the knee as he was pushing him down from behind. It should have been a penalty.

Reactions: Monk

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

upload_2020-8-12_15-44-37.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts' ice time usage continues to be a head scratcher. Nick Foligno (LOL) led all Columbus forwards in ice time - both overall and at even strength. Remember when Torts used to punish guys for taking bad penalties? Why does this standard not apply to the captain, who's taken FIVE already in the playoffs, including two huge ones in overtimes? He's also...just not good. Why is he played 7+ more minutes at even strength than PLD? Come on Torts.

I'm sick of the "identity line" or whatever. 14-38-71. They're just not good. No one seems to know what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. There's no finishers on that line. They just kind of cycle the puck around - if they gain possession at all - and then the puck rolls off their stick or they just dump it into a corner. They're not a threat at all to score. Heck, the Wennberg-Robinson-Gerbe line got better looks.

What a shocker, the Jacket chiefly employed in playing shutdown against Matthews and Kucherov is playing the most hockey. I wonder why?

Foligno hasn't been bad at all asides from the penalties, he's getting flak just because of them. He normally averages only about a dozen or so minors per season, so I think it's a legitimate hope that he'll stop taking them. Nick Foligno doesn't need to be "punished", that's absurd. No one does, this is just a gargantuan challenge for whoever is out there. And you really need to be mindful of the matchups, Foligno-Jenner-Nyquist isn't facing the same situation as the other lines. Being dangerous isn't expected. I was hoping that Wennberg and Robinson would have played more though, they had some legs. Dubois? Not so much. He's built for power not endurance.

I really think we need Bemstrom and maybe even Stenlund in there tomorrow just to give some fresh legs a look. I wouldn't mind Nuti and Peeke getting a look on the 3rd pair either, but we know Torts won't do it.

Peeke? Yes Torts doesn't seem to trust him enough for this. But Murray might just be broken right now, I would expect Nuti to be in there. Bemstrom as well. I think Shore is a better fit to play a high-energy game than Stenlund, if "fresh legs" is what you're going for. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them.

Not really a sustainable way to play. I know Tampa is going to get their chances and we're going to try to limit them...but good grief. The Point and Gourde lines absolutely dominated from start to finish, and then their other two lines piled up more chances as the game went along as well. Torts is going to need to find better matchups.

I don't think there is a good matchup here for us. They don't have a soft easy line to play against. There is a talent discrepancy and an energy discrepancy given how much hockey the Jackets have played (they've averaged about 60 or so minutes of game time per day since Thursday). It is fair to be somewhat critical but it's a little unrealistic to expect good looking play in this situation.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Foligno hasn't been bad at all asides from the penalties, he's getting flak just because of them. He normally averages only about a dozen or so minors per season, so I think it's a legitimate hope that he'll stop taking them. Nick Foligno doesn't need to be "punished", that's absurd. No one does, this is just a gargantuan challenge for whoever is out there.

It was tongue-in-cheek -> Torts routinely benches guys, usually younger, who take bad penalties. That standard doesn't apply to the captain, though.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don’t listen at all but I’m curious, is the Buckeye Sports Network spending much time talking CBJ or are they just droning on about college football all the time?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Foligno with an incredible athletic performance. He didn't miss a check playing shutdown for 50 minutes.

In the record as 11th in forward ice time in a game.

Yeah he took (gulp) a penalty. Still one hell of a performance.
Totally agree with what you have said. The Jenner lines job is to keep the other team from scoring, be physical, and win some face-offs. If they score its a bonus. Foligno and Jenner were 50 percent on face-offs in that game. They are doing the dirty work, and all 3 are still on the plus side. Now if the people we want, or need to score would do just that, we would be fine, and you would probably see a little less of the Jenner line. As far as Foligno's penalties in overtime, yeah they came at a bad time, but the PK needs to come through, as they did last night.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
RE: CBJ totally "outclassed" in Game 1.
1) Going into the game, would anyone have argued or contended that the SOG differential would be different than it ended? Was it a surprise that TBL has the edge in skill and offense? I don't think so. Neither was it a surprise that CBJ has an edge in defensive play.
The goal of offense is to put the puck in net. The goal of defense is to thwart offense and deny the same.
Which was more successful in Game 1? For how long?
2) Which team held the lead for the longest time during the game? By my count, TBL held the lead for one second.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
I don’t listen at all but I’m curious, is the Buckeye Sports Network spending much time talking CBJ or are they just droning on about college football all the time?
I would assume a lot of it might be Buckeye talk since they are not going to be playing a fall season for like the first time since the 19th century. I wish there was more Blue Jacket talk, but football is always king in Ohio.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would assume a lot of it might be Buckeye talk since they are not going to be playing a fall season for like the first time since the 19th century. I wish there was more Blue Jacket talk, but football is always king in Ohio.
Well, former buckeye football players seem to be guaranteed at least 1 of 3 jobs in Columbus when the NFL doesn’t work out. Insurance agent, realtor, or hosting a radio show on 97.1.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Well, former buckeye football players seem to be guaranteed at least 1 of 3 jobs in Columbus when the NFL doesn’t work out. Insurance agent, realtor, or hosting a radio show on 97.1.

Isn't it pretty similar to former CBJ players, except CBJ just broadcast on FS Ohio.
Also kind of sums up JLGP - realtor and host of Fox Sports CBJ pre-post game :)

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I am perhaps the least knowledgeable X-and-O fan on this board, but as I think back on game 1 it seems to me that the CBJ were not effective at creating a sustained forecheck. It's no surprise given the gap in skill that TB had most shots and better advanced stats, but wouldn't more banging and grinding in TB's defensive zone serve our cause better and perhaps lead to a greasy goal? Is there a tactical way to improve the forecheck/zone time? What lineup changes, if any, do we see today (also perhaps due to effects of game 1)?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I am perhaps the least knowledgeable X-and-O fan on this board, but as I think back on game 1 it seems to me that the CBJ were not effective at creating a sustained forecheck. It's no surprise given the gap in skill that TB had most shots and better advanced stats, but wouldn't more banging and grinding in TB's defensive zone serve our cause better and perhaps lead to a greasy goal? Is there a tactical way to improve the forecheck/zone time? What lineup changes, if any, do we see today (also perhaps due to effects of game 1)?

Agree with the need for better sustained forecheck, but that requires legs...and CBJ was a little lacking of those after coming off the Toronto series, and 5OTs gradually took the legs completely away. I suspect that the legs will be a little better for the early part of game 2, but better get on it early and hold on, because I imagine the legs will start to fade in 3rd period from all the hockey the past 7 days.

I doubt we will see much change in the lineup, unless someone is dinged a little. As tired as the legs are, I don't see Shore or Benstrom in the lineup, unless as a replacement for a similar player (i.e. Gerbe). Having mentioned him, Gerbe just isn't big enough to be effective at sustaining shift-after-shift of playoff hockey. Love his effort, but everyone (including TBL) is giving max effort at this point. Gerbe provides value during regular season - he's a shot of fresh air, fresh energy and fresh legs when other players (CBJ and/or opponent) may not be "on it" either from travel, B2B or just plain season-long grind. That energy level mostly evens up now - well except maybe for Kucherov's lazy a**. I thought Gerbe was ok, but not particularly effective. It is also hard to be a one-man forecheck, and he had tired linemates, so who knows, maybe Gerbe was more effective than I give him credit for. The advanced stats had him pretty much even in game 1, which was better than most CBJ.

IMO, legs (and thus forecheck) will better for Game 3 than today (assuming we don't see another 5OT game today!). And we get last change in Games 3 & 4, which will help with matchups a little better too. Not giving up on today, not in the least, but it will likely be more of a dump and NOT chase game in the latter part of todays' game than anything else. Not so much as preferred strategy but as necessity (at some point) to combat fatigue. So play to our strength (D/goal tending), and hope that the D can come up with enough of a push to generate one more goal than TBL in regulation (3-2?)

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Cam scored 35 while playing on a line with Jenner and Dubinsky. His goals were largely him driving the net and whacking at loose pucks. He used to take the body more, you might recall a line with Calvert and Dubinsky where Cam was like a little demon. He's become a passive player in the last few years.

Being on the wrong side of 30 will do that to you. Age remains undefeated.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What lineup changes, if any, do we see today (also perhaps due to effects of game 1)?

What I'd like to see:
Texier-PLD-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Foudy-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Nash
Robinson-Stenlund-Bemstrom
Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Nutivaara-Peeke

What I epxect to see:
Texier-PLD-Foudy
Nyquist-Jenner-Foligno
Bjorkstrand-Nash-Atkinson
Robinson-Wennberg-Gerbe
Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Kukan-Nutivaara (figuring Murray blew past his minutes restrictions, which the team will never publicly disclose)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad