Eastern Conference QF: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Just got up and saw the score. Sucks that the Jackets lost, but it was a very close series and I have no doubts that if the CBJ had a day or two of rest they would've beat Tampa again.

Jackets are a good team with the best coach in the NHL, they'll be going places in the near future.

Reactions: leesmith and Viqsi

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Just got up and saw the score. Sucks that the Jackets lost, but it was a very close series and I have no doubts that if the CBJ had a day or two of rest they would've beat Tampa again.

Jackets are a good team with the best coach in the NHL, they'll be going places in the near future.
I like you... even though you like crappy pizza. ;)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
A bunch of people are roasting Torts for his press conference today. Frankly, one of the things I like most about Torts is that he takes the losses really hard. The last thing I want (and we've seen plenty of it in Columbus over the years) are people who get comfortable with losing and rationalize it with moral victories. Not that guy!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A bunch of people are roasting Torts for his press conference today. Frankly, one of the things I like most about Torts is that he takes the losses really hard. The last thing I want (and we've seen plenty of it in Columbus over the years) are people who get comfortable with losing and rationalize it with moral victories. Not that guy!
I don't think he's comfortable per se; I just think he's normally well aware that there's always the next game to play.

What I appreciate is that he doesn't suffer fools. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's unfortunate, I think the CBJ played 2 really good games in the entirety of the TB series, and they lost both. We completely dominated the Lightning in G5, but our goaltending let us down. which is pretty poetic, since our goaltending is the only reason why we were there in the first place, and the only reason we won a game in the series.

A game like that is the reason why we need to be patient when picking between Korpi and Elvis. I have no dog in the fight, and Korpi had a fantastic season with all things considered, but man he was really bad in game 5. I hope to see them both back next year, ready to battle it out again for the #1 job (unless of course someone blows you away with an offer for one...)

I'm proud of the team and all they accomplished this year. We were counted out by almost everybody and left for dead at various points of the season. They did nothing but push their way through and make the season very enjoyable, which is something I didn't think would happen this time last year once the big 3 left. Kudos to Torts, Jarmo, and the players for getting it done. I trust them to have a good summer and keep us in the hunt, or better yet, be better than in the hunt.

There are a lot of bright spots on the team that I am sure people have pointed out and discussed at length in the GDT and in here, so rather than echoing those thoughts I'm going to be different and do unsung heroes of the season/postseason.

Riley Nash, after his first year I thought he was pretty disappointing. I thought he was going to be Sammy Pahlsson V2,but I thought by and large he had a good season this year, and was one of our most consistent players in the playoffs. I won't have any issues if he's brought back as the 4C.

Dean Kukan, I thought his growth this year was huge for the team. Admittedly in the past I was not very high on him, I thought of him as a call up guy at best who only looked like he belonged due to low exposure and a small sample size. I was wrong, I think he's a solid bottom pairing defenseman with room to grow. A great find by Jarmo and company.

The AHL call up crew, this includes (but not limited to) Nathan Gerbe, Kevin Stenlund, Ryan MacInnis, Matiss Kivlenieks, Stefan Matteau, and Andrew Peeke. Without these guys and the run they went on in December-January, this playoff run wouldn't have been possible. Its a true testament to the overall coaching we have in the organization from top to bottom, and the eye for depth that Jarmo and Siren/Zito have.

Nick Foligno, Look, I know everyone is going to rip him up due to his contract, his ice time, and lack of offensive production. I think that is fair to an extent, but also overly harsh. Foligno is not the offensive player he was when he signed that contract. However, he has made major strides in the defensive part of the game and is a prime example of what a good captain looks like. I think he has a very good pulse of the locker room, is a great ambassador for the team, and still a quality player to play. Yes, ideally he would just be getting 3rd/4th line ice time with PK minutes, and hopefully that can happen, even if it is an awful lot of money for that type of player, I still think he's worth having around, and is good enough in his own end to warrant another (but much much reduced) contract.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I won't rip him, but he's paid $5m+ to do a job, he's doing half of it well, but even there, has taken very untimely penalties, and probably should have been suspended for that nasty board in game 4...its 1 more year and we can walk away, and probably will

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I won't rip him, but he's paid $5m+ to do a job, he's doing half of it well, but even there, has taken very untimely penalties, and probably should have been suspended for that nasty board in game 4...its 1 more year and we can walk away, and probably will

I think they’d keep him at a 1 year around 1.5 million deal, as long as he stays who he is currently.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Sure the team would, but would you take a 75-80% pay cut for your job when you feel like you can still do it?

I actually just looked at his stats, and nearly 40 points (on pace for) isn't too bad of production for someone his age. On top of 6 points in 10 playoff games, I misjudged his production.

If he would take a reduction down to say, 2.5-3 million, I'd still keep him around on a short term deal. And I think he'd be up for that.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Im not sad about the loss, Im not even taking the playoffs seriously.

Either way: the future of this team looks more and more promising, certainly much more so than during this time of the year in 2019 when it was doom and gloom. And even almost a funeral. On this board I mean.

The Jackets will likely face another challenging season but it should be more entertaining and overall better.

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I actually just looked at his stats, and nearly 40 points (on pace for) isn't too bad of production for someone his age. On top of 6 points in 10 playoff games, I misjudged his production.

If he would take a reduction down to say, 2.5-3 million, I'd still keep him around on a short term deal. And I think he'd be up for that.

I think that figure is closer to the mark but possibly still low.

You can't just throw some random journeyman into the position Foligno was put in and expect him to not get caved in. Foligno ended the postseason with 6 pts in 10 games and a +1 despite being matched up against the league's best and playing far too many minutes. He had a couple bad games this series where the legs gave out but even with that factored in he had a strong showing. He was especially effective in the Leafs series where he didn't give up a single 5v5 goal against.

I've really enjoyed hearing the cranks come out to complain about what a liability Foligno is with his penalties, you'd think from their story that he would be taking them every game. I looked up the stats and he takes an average of 17 minors per season, or about one every five games. He also draws a fair number of penalties too, and over the last four years has come up even in penalties taken and drawn. There's nothing there to complain about.

I wouldn't be surprised if a GM like Lamiorello throws Nick a $4m x 3 offer or something that would put us in a tough position. Look at what guys like Komarov and Beagle got paid, and Nick is a cut above those guys. Imagine a GM of a rebuilding squad has the $$ to spare and wants a veteran mentor for his kids. GMs will absolutely pay for character and leadership and I don't think that's crazy. It would get panned online but they expect that and do it anyways for a reason.

I just read through a couple threads on the main boards that touched on that point. One was about do-not-draft lists and how important dressing rooms are for teams. There is a misconception that character is just a minor thing that can slide a player up or down the board slightly. On the contrary, it puts a lot of guys out of the running completely. Teams just don't want certain guys in the room, or they have particular guys they strongly want in the room. The second thread was about Crosby's influence on Mackinnon and Marchand. Having a veteran training partner that is an incredible worker in the gym is a big deal, apparently.

Nick is the captain and leader of a team that is known for being better than the sum of their parts, and for being especially resilient and hardworking. A lot of clubs will want that in their room and they'll pay him to bring some of it to them. I really hope the Jackets don't have to compete with any $4m offers but they might. He'd give a discount but you also can't insult him, he knows what he's done here. And as fans we have to admit that we don't have a great window into knowing what the room is like or knowing how essential a given player's voice is.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think that figure is closer to the mark but possibly still low.

You can't just throw some random journeyman into the position Foligno was put in and expect him to not get caved in. Foligno ended the postseason with 6 pts in 10 games and a +1 despite being matched up against the league's best and playing far too many minutes. He had a couple bad games this series where the legs gave out but even with that factored in he had a strong showing. He was especially effective in the Leafs series where he didn't give up a single 5v5 goal against.

I've really enjoyed hearing the cranks come out to complain about what a liability Foligno is with his penalties, you'd think from their story that he would be taking them every game. I looked up the stats and he takes an average of 17 minors per season, or about one every five games. He also draws a fair number of penalties too, and over the last four years has come up even in penalties taken and drawn. There's nothing there to complain about.

I wouldn't be surprised if a GM like Lamiorello throws Nick a $4m x 3 offer or something that would put us in a tough position. Look at what guys like Komarov and Beagle got paid, and Nick is a cut above those guys. Imagine a GM of a rebuilding squad has the $$ to spare and wants a veteran mentor for his kids. GMs will absolutely pay for character and leadership and I don't think that's crazy. It would get panned online but they expect that and do it anyways for a reason.

I just read through a couple threads on the main boards that touched on that point. One was about do-not-draft lists and how important dressing rooms are for teams. There is a misconception that character is just a minor thing that can slide a player up or down the board slightly. On the contrary, it puts a lot of guys out of the running completely. Teams just don't want certain guys in the room, or they have particular guys they strongly want in the room. The second thread was about Crosby's influence on Mackinnon and Marchand. Having a veteran training partner that is an incredible worker in the gym is a big deal, apparently.

Nick is the captain and leader of a team that is known for being better than the sum of their parts, and for being especially resilient and hardworking. A lot of clubs will want that in their room and they'll pay him to bring some of it to them. I really hope the Jackets don't have to compete with any $4m offers but they might. He'd give a discount but you also can't insult him, he knows what he's done here. And as fans we have to admit that we don't have a great window into knowing what the room is like or knowing how essential a given player's voice is.

If someone wants to float Nick Foligno 4 million a year for 3 years I say goodbye. I like the guy but there comes a time when it is time to move on. As the younger guys get older some of them need to step up and be the leaders of this team. It has to be more than Seth Jones.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
This has got to be the most anticlimactic series loss we’ve had. Personally I’m not even remotely upset. I’ll be interested to see how they move forward with reg season games come 20-21.

Oh yeah: forgot to add this lets me cancel my Sling subscription and save $30 a month. So honestly that’s a win in my book.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Im not sad about the loss, Im not even taking the playoffs seriously.

Either way: the future of this team looks more and more promising, certainly much more so than during this time of the year in 2019 when it was doom and gloom. And even almost a funeral. On this board I mean.

The Jackets will likely face another challenging season but it should be more entertaining and overall better.

Especially in hindsight, presuming NYR would have won the lotto either way. Agree with you entirely.

Reactions: Madifer

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Especially in hindsight, presuming NYR would have won the lotto either way. Agree with you entirely.

The balls were put in alphabetical order. Presuming the fifth ball in the lottery was going to win, Nashville would have won the lottery had we lost to Toronto, since us being in instead of Toronto would've bumped Nashville down to the 5th ball and NYR to the 6th. It would've of course been preferable to have the out-of-conference team win it. Also, we dropped in the draft from #13 to probably #21 (possibly #20 or #19).

Despite both of those things though, I think continuing to win the series and get to play more playoff hockey was more beneficial to this organization than either of those things changing.

Reactions: Monk and majormajor

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I guess long term with the team we have to be better in regular season to avoid these really good/elite teams in first round.

If we keep limping in as WC1 or WC2 it will always be a bad match up.

We did that already, got 108 points for fourth in the league but ended up starting the playoffs on the road because the Pens were third (Caps were first)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad