Eastern Conference QF: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
If you don't mind me asking, where are you seeing these numbers? I haven't been able to find anything.
The Tuesday afternoon game at 3:00pm got 710,000 viewers. Mtl-Philly got 764,000 the following day in primetime. Tampa-CBJ scored 425,000 viewers for the Thursday afternoon game, which outrated the Montreal-Philly game that occured the next day in the same timeslot (that got 375,000 viewers)

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
The Tuesday afternoon game at 3:00pm got 710,000 viewers. Mtl-Philly got 764,000 the following day in primetime. Tampa-CBJ scored 425,000 viewers for the Thursday afternoon game, which outrated the Montreal-Philly game that occured the next day in the same timeslot (that got 375,000 viewers)

Certainly not bad ratings, but are those for US-only? If so, things would probably be different in Canadian viewers were added in or MTL were located in the States

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Certainly not bad ratings, but are those for US-only? If so, things would probably be different in Canadian viewers were added in or MTL were located in the States
These are NBCSN ratings, so of course they are US only.

And NBC only cares about US viewers, and for some reason has more sway on scheduling than Rogers does, so your hypotheticals are irrelevant.

"What if MTL were in the states?"

Okay, what if Columbus were in Canada? Obviously the ratings would look different.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Interesting. Did a brief look at the metropolitan areas and the Philadelphia area still has about two million people on Tampa and Columbus combined. Not sure if the TBL/CBJ numbers are good or MTL/PHL are bad. I was thinking MTL/PHL would have had big edge on our series. Thank you for providing

I bet they were banking on more people tuning in because of the teams involved.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How has Jenner been playing? How does he fit in/project for next season?

He was great shutting down top lines until Sunday. He's totally gassed at this point, don't even ask about the last two games. Jenner is behind only Foligno and I think Dubois among all of the leagues forwards in ice time this postseason. He'll be back as middle-six C (and hopefully 3C) next year.

Eberle Is Edmonton13

Mar 11, 2012
He was great shutting down top lines until Sunday. He's totally gassed at this point, don't even ask about the last two games. Jenner is behind only Foligno and I think Dubois among all of the leagues forwards in ice time this postseason. He'll be back as middle-six C (and hopefully 3C) next year.

He's been pretty good defensively. As MM said, he's out of gas though.

He's a perfect 3C.

Thanks guys! Picked him up in a keeper sim league and this sounds like the exact role I would need him to fill.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
I'm not sure there will be lineup changes... everyone said the last game was (one of) our best :sarcasm:
Who do you scratch then ?
Stenlund didn't look good at the beginning of the game (and obviously on the PP where he shouldn't belong) but that 4th line was better late game I think

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
These are NBCSN ratings, so of course they are US only.

And NBC only cares about US viewers, and for some reason has more sway on scheduling than Rogers does, so your hypotheticals are irrelevant.

"What if MTL were in the states?"

Okay, what if Columbus were in Canada? Obviously the ratings would look different.

Sounds like I offended you, which wasn't the goal of my post! Was just trying to understand what potential total viewership the numbers reflected and that if US-only numbers, as confirmed, are not an apples-to-apples comparison...

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Sounds like I offended you, which wasn't the goal of my post! Was just trying to understand what potential total viewership the numbers reflected and that if US-only numbers, as confirmed, are not an apples-to-apples comparison...
Comparing US ratings to US ratings is not an apples to apples comparison?

You must be joking.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Because if Sportsnet had a say in the schedule, Montreal would have been shown on Saturday night for Hockey Night in Canada, not on Sunday night.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Comparing US ratings to US ratings is not an apples to apples comparison?

You must be joking.

I'm done with this after this comment, as this is really a silly think to be "arguing" about. My point is simply that MTL (while admittedly probably has a far-ranging fanbase that crosses borders) is located in another country. Since its metropolitan area, where a large number of its fans likely reside and thus watch TV, is outside the US many folks tuning into MTL-PHI are not going to be reflected in NBC's numbers. This is in contrast to Columbus and Tampa both being in the US, hence my not an apples-to-apples comparison comment.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Interesting. Did a brief look at the metropolitan areas and the Philadelphia area still has about two million people on Tampa and Columbus combined. Not sure if the TBL/CBJ numbers are good or MTL/PHL are bad. I was thinking MTL/PHL would have had big edge on our series. Thank you for providing

The first round isnt exclusive. So the home team fans watch on their local station whilst non Tampa/Columbus markets get NBCSN feed, so these arent including local ratings either

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I'm done with this after this comment, as this is really a silly think to be "arguing" about. My point is simply that MTL (while admittedly probably has a far-ranging fanbase that crosses borders) is located in another country. Since its metropolitan area, where a large number of its fans likely reside and thus watch TV, is outside the US many folks tuning into MTL-PHI are not going to be reflected in NBC's numbers. This is in contrast to Columbus and Tampa both being in the US, hence my not an apples-to-apples comparison comment.
Except, as I have already said, NBC isnt available in Canada, so Canadian ratings dont factor in to their scheduling, yet they controlled the scheduling.
So your point isnt salient in the least

Tampa-CBJ has been more popular on NBCSN than Mtl-Philly has. NBCSN wasnt expecting that, and thats why we have the worst 1st round schedule

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

They were, but seeing as how the ratings for the TB and Boston series went last year, that doesnt make sense. CBJ rated really well all playoffs

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Except, as I have already said, NBC isnt available in Canada, so Canadian ratings dont factor in to their scheduling, yet they controlled the scheduling.
So your point isnt salient in the least

Tampa-CBJ has been more popular on NBCSN than Mtl-Philly has. NBCSN wasnt expecting that, and thats why we have the worst 1st round schedule

Ah, I see you're thinking about this from a who-controls-the-schedule standpoint, while I am simply wondering allow about how there's no good way to gauge the total number of eyeballs watching each game. We can certainly agree about the bolded part. You be well!

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Ah, I see you're thinking about this from a who-controls-the-schedule standpoint, while I am simply wondering allow about how there's no good way to gauge the total number of eyeballs watching each game. We can certainly agree about the bolded part. You be well!
My original post was in response to someone wondering why the scheduling was the way it is, and them saying because MTL-Philly would be more popular "nationally", which is why I provided numbers saying it wasnt.

Then you decided to bring Canadian ratings into it.

Anywho, hope the boys pull it out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad