Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Finals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Completely disagree. I think they were outplayed in the 1st and outplayed the Caps the rest of the way. Once they tied it, I didn't have any "uh-oh feelings" at all.

They outshot them 29-21 the rest of the way and while I thought the Caps had some good zone time in OT, they didn't have any great scoring chances.

I guess you came back to the TV late for the start of OT.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I was pretty calm in OT. I didn't like the two surges where the Caps were in the zone for way too long.

Where were the "great scoring chances"? Show me. I've watched the OT a few times and they had shots, yes, but nothing super.

I'm going to watch it again right now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I guess you came back to the TV late for the start of OT.

No hes right. I think the Caps had one decent scoring chance in all of OT despite their zone time. Everything else was a shot from a bad angle that had next to no chance of going in.

Their first big push shouldn't have even happened since it was all started by a Caps player hacking Moore's stick in half. I don't know how anyone can get on the team for that.

As for the game itself, it was very evenly played. Caps were better in the first, Rangers better in the second and the third was pretty much a push. Even though the Caps had the majority of the Zone time in OT, the Rangers actually had the three best scoring chances (Hagelin, Moore, and then the eventual Stepan winner.)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No hes right. I think the Caps had one decent scoring chance in all of OT despite their zone time. Everything else was a shot from a bad angle that had next to no chance of going in.

Their first big push shouldn't have even happened since it was all started by a Caps player hacking Moore's stick in half. I don't know how anyone can get on the team for that.

As for the game itself, it was very evenly played. Caps were better in the first, Rangers better in the second and the third was pretty much a push. Even though the Caps had the majority of the Zone time in OT, the Rangers actually had the three best scoring chances (Hagelin, Moore, and then the eventual Stepan winner.)

What? Impossible. Don't you read the main boards? There can only be missed penalties that Rangers commit.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Beagle had a good chance but missed the net. Ward was a bad angle, Beagle was a bad angle. Hagelin's chance was better than any of those. Stepan's chance was better than any Cap chance. Kuznetsov bad angle outside the dots. And again. Yandle blown point chance. Carlson from outside the dots. Point shot NYR can't make out who. Shepherd with a chance, blocked. Washington point shot blocked. Chimera bad angle shot. Girardi with a dumb icing. Moore shot blocked. Moore with a good chance shot wide. Brassard couldn't take pass that would've given him a breakaway. Klein/Brassard with an opportunity.

So, yeah, watched it again.

Rangers had the best three chances of the OT - Moore (arguably even with a couple of Caps chances, but he was closer to the goal and had a better angle), Hags, & Stepan and missed two others (Brass break and Brass/Klein splitting D but not coming up with puck)

They might've made you nervous, but they didn't give up much and were the better team in OT.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
This might be a bit melodramatic, but waking up this morning, I need to say it.

My Ranger memories go back to 1958 and I've been a hardcore fan since about 1962. I was a season ticket holder in the blue seats at MSG from 1968-1976, and raised two fanatic hockey fans (one a regular poster on these boards). The Rangers have been a major part of my life for over fifty years. I met my wife going to a Ranger playoff game in 1970.

One thing I've learned is to treasure those special moments and seasons. Winning the Cup is just so damned hard and you have to be not only skilled but lucky also. My Rangers have been to the Cup finals four times (72, 79. 94 and last year) but only won once. Aside from wonderful personal events, including the birth of my two hockey loving sons, and tremendous professional accomplishments, 94 was one of the highlights of my life.

The point I'm trying to make is this: this is one of the great eras in Ranger history. I don't know what the next few weeks will bring. We can win or lose in the conference finals, win or lose in the Cup finals. But at minimum, two conference finals and one Cup finals in a four year span is an enormous accomplishment and one to treasure and appreciate.

For all you fans in your teens, twenties and thirties, games like last night are the memories you will retain 30, 40, and 50 years from now, just as I easily recall great moments from 40 years ago. I easily recall, after finally making the playoffs after missing it for five years, how the next four years we were eliminated in the first round, how captain Bob Nevin's overtime winner vs. Toronto in 1971 sent us to the second round for the first time. Or Pete Stemkowski's 3 OT winner vs. Chicago. I remember the bad ones also.When Larry Brooks mentioned in his column the other day, how the only other time the Rangers blew a 4-1 lead in the third period was against Montreal in the 1967 playoffs, I remember the pain of that game as if it were yesterday. When he wrote of Red Berenson hitting the post in game four just before the Habs scored ending the series the same year, I can still see the puck getting past goalie Rogie Vachon, hitting the post, and the loud clang it made: I was sitting in the end balcony in the old MSG.

So last night was one of those special moments and one to remember. But more so, this is one of the great eras in Ranger history. We may celebrate or be disappointed over the next month, but we should not lose sight of the fact of how special these years are and how good these last few years have been.

:cheers: great post. And I'm happy to see another graybeard here. I'm in Bedford, NY. Howdy, neighbor!

Jan 8, 2012
NY
In the 1st period and OT. 2nd, the Rangers were better as a whole, and 3rd was even. Overall edge Caps, but nothing too crazy.

This is true. But even if it wasn't and the Rangers were demolished like some Caps fans would lead you to believe, why does it matter? I guess they can hang their hat on that while their team goes golfing.

And for instances where this team gets outshot and outplayed, this is why their best and highest paid player is their goaltender. Who last time I checked, was also part of the Rangers.

Also, I can't stop watching the Stepan goal. Too ****ing good.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
You didn't think OT was total domination?

No great scoring chances?

Guess you were the fan who sat calmly through that OT.

If your definition of "total domination" is zone possession, then yes, the Caps dominated the first half of OT. But if the definition includes defending well to limit the opponent's scoring chances to nothing more than weak shots, then they didn't dominate at all. If anything, the Rangers dominated with superior defense.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Gotta love all the jealous non-Rangers fans calling in on WFAN to take shots at the Rangers. Some guy just said that the Penguins, Capitals and Lightning would be the 3 teams the Rangers would have picked to face before the playoffs started because they're the 3 weakest teams that made the playoffs. Another fan tried to diminish Lundqvist's game 7 record by asking Mike if it compared to the Undertaker's Wrestlemania record.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Gotta love all the jealous non-Rangers fans calling in on WFAN to take shots at the Rangers. Some guy just said that the Penguins, Capitals and Lightning would be the 3 teams the Rangers would have picked to face before the playoffs started because they're the 3 weakest teams that made the playoffs. Another fan tried to diminish Lundqvist's game 7 record by asking Mike if it compared to the Undertaker's Wrestlemania record.

That doesn't sound like he was diminishing anything, sounds like a joke.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Heard that caller too. He said he's a Hawks fan...

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
That doesn't sound like he was diminishing anything, sounds like a joke.

That's probably right, but it sounded to me like he was comparing what Lundqvist has done to something in a joke sport that shouldn't be compared to hockey. Guy waited half an hour on hold to make that joke.

And I missed the other caller identifying himself as a Hawks fan. Still don't agree with him.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If your definition of "total domination" is zone possession, then yes, the Caps dominated the first half of OT. But if the definition includes defending well to limit the opponent's scoring chances to nothing more than weak shots, then they didn't dominate at all. If anything, the Rangers dominated with superior defense.

I asked the question earlier, but nobody responded.

How many shifts did Ovechkin/Backstrom have in OT?

It seemed like it was Beagle/Kuznetsov being double shifted.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Tampa > Washington > Pittsburgh

Doesn't matter the system they play, they'll be tougher than the last one. No easy wins here.

Also, if anybody's out for revenge how about the team that got their ***** handed to them three times out of three tries against Tampa this regular season?

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine

And Mike would not even bother with him and just hung up on him! HAHA, great response by Mike.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Oh man, group of Devils fans in front of me just losing it over the game last night. Tears so gooooood.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Ovenchicken will travel to the WHC to play in the semi-final, provided that Russia gets through the Quarters against Sweden.

How happy it makes me feel that it's all because of the Rangers.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ovenchicken will travel to the WHC to play in the semi-final, provided that Russia gets through the Quarters against Sweden.

How happy it makes me feel that it's all because of the Rangers.

Not judging him, but I don't know how he can even think about hockey after yesterday.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

When time is spent nearly exclusively at one end of the ice, it's domination. The angles of the shots are irrelevant, because lots of goals are scored on deflections and luck.

There were stretches where the Rangers were literally gasping for air, as were almost all of the viewers.

The notion that someone never worried they might lose in OT is more an indicator of something other than understanding the possibilities of one bad bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad