Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Finals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Bishop is big and he takes up space in net and has been very timely with his saves. But Holtby was amazing, he was elite like and it was very hard to beat him.

Rangers figured out the blocker side was an area to pepper him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I would put MSL back on the 3rd line. Maybe he can do something against their 3rd pairing.

Nash--Brassard--Miller
Kreider--Stepan--Fast
Hagelin--Hayes--MSL
Glass--Moore--Sheppard

Wonder would Cooper consider Stepan line the top line and try to match Hedman/Stralman against them.

Poor Hagelin and Hayes.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I'd expect this to be MSL's one productive series.fluid should be extra motivated to stick it to Stevey Y. I haven't heard when or if Callahan is expected back, but I probably fear him the most out of the ex Rangers on TB. Boyle will be solIid, as well Stralman I'm sure, however I don't see either as a bigger that than anyone we've faced so far. Hoping the fluidity of the game is better than the last two series for the Rangers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah before that goal the third period in game 5 looked similar to the one in game 4. Honestly, we need to work on that. The amount of push back we get when leading in the 3rd seems to be league bigger than the amount of push back other teams get by us when leading in the 3rd.

And yet in Game 5 we did to the Caps (and in other games to other teams, remember the big come back when Duclair scored his only goal?) what no team has done to us. 40-0-1 in the 41 games where we led going into the third period.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Hedman and Stralman will be very, very effective.

I think our forwards will be able to skate better against TB's forwards, but those 2 on D are better than any pair we've played so far, so the other lines are going to have to be especially ready to pick up the slack.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
How happy is James Sheppard right now?

Dude was on the Sharks who choked bad last year and always seemed to come up short.

And Yandle? On Arizona one of the worst teams in the league, probably wasn't expecting a trade because he has another year on his contract. Now he's screaming like a spazz in the Rangers locker room going to the ECF. Love it.

Traded to the Rangers at the deadline.

Bishop has been a monster against us, yes. However, he has poor rebound control. His size takes up so much of the net and he makes a lot of saves just by being there. If we get him moving and get rebounds we will have an easier time scoring against him than Holtby, who was elite. Not that Bishop is bad, but Holtby was almost Hank like.

The problem there is that Tampa will most assuredly score more than the Caps did. We're going to need more than 2 goals a game if we want to win this series.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Hedman and Stralman will be very, very effective.

I think our forwards will be able to skate better against TB's forwards, but those 2 on D are better than any pair we've played so far, so the other lines are going to have to be especially ready to pick up the slack.

Will be interesting to see which line Cooper has Stralman/Hedman matched up with. I'd bet it's Stepan's line. That's fine as long as Kreider is super active and doesn't hesitate with his speed.

If that's the case, Brassard's line is going to have to take advantage of Coburn/Garrison.

I'd hope Cooper would match Strals/Hedman against Brass' line and have Kreider out there against Coburn/Garrison. Neither the fleet of foot. Also, Hayes and Hagelin are going to have to take advantage against Sustr/Carle.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Also, how good is this GIF. Slats is hilarious, he looks like a proud grandpa the way he's smiling. "We had 'em the whole time!"

Also love Jeff Gorton off the right going nuts and hugging Schonfeld.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The problem there is that Tampa will most assuredly score more than the Caps did. We're going to need more than 2 goals a game if we want to win this series.

We will. Both Pens and Caps knew they couldn't go toe to toe with us offensively so they shut it down and played a defensive game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rollin"

Pretty much sums up this series.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This is true. But even if it wasn't and the Rangers were demolished like some Caps fans would lead you to believe, why does it matter?

The theory that the Craps demolished the Rangers is based on the belief that the goalie is not part of the team. It's unfair that the most highly paid Ranger is helping the team. If we had an $8.5 forward score a pair of goals, that would be fair, but an $8.5 goalie making saves is simply unfair because, as I explained, the goalie is not part of the team and his contributions should not count.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And yet in Game 5 we did to the Caps (and in other games to other teams, remember the big come back when Duclair scored his only goal?) what no team has done to us. 40-0-1 in the 41 games where we led going into the third period.

I've been meditating recently on the differences in perception that's created by disappointment vs relief.

Disappointment is negative. It's what we feel when a scoring chance doesn't go in when we are trailing. That negative emotion changes our perception of that scoring chance and makes us adjust our assessment of the quality of the chance downward.

Relief is positive. It's what we feel when a scoring chance for our opponent doesn't go in when we are winning. That positive emotion changes our perception of that scoring chance and makes us adjust our assessment of the quality of the chance upward.

I believe that explains a lot of what Snowblind is asking about. It also reminds me of a West Wing quote. "Did you know that studies show that people who describe themselves as politically committed only react to political issues with the emotional centers of the brain?" I think the analogy works here too. Ranger diehards only react with the emotional centers of the brain, at least while the games are being played and especially in the playoffs.

It's late. Is that enough pseudo-psychology for you guys?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I've been meditating recently on the differences in perception that's created by disappointment vs relief.

Disappointment is negative. It's what we feel when a scoring chance doesn't go in when we are trailing. That negative emotion changes our perception of that scoring chance and makes us adjust our assessment of the quality of the chance downward.

Relief is positive. It's what we feel when a scoring chance for our opponent doesn't go in when we are winning. That positive emotion changes our perception of that scoring chance and makes us adjust our assessment of the quality of the chance upward.

I believe that explains a lot of what Snowblind is asking about. It also reminds me of a West Wing quote. "Did you know that studies show that people who describe themselves as politically committed only react to political issues with the emotional centers of the brain?" I think the analogy works here too. Ranger diehards only react with the emotional centers of the brain, at least while the games are being played and especially in the playoffs.

It's late. Is that enough pseudo-psychology for you guys?
There's never enough pseudo-psychology. :D

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Also, how good is this GIF. Slats is hilarious, he looks like a proud grandpa the way he's smiling. "We had 'em the whole time!"

Also love Jeff Gorton off the right going nuts and hugging Schonfeld.

Glen Sather was doing his Major Kong from Dr. Strangelove

giphy.gif

and I can't blame him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Love the positiveness in this thread!

I myself aren't worried about our team or Tampas team, but I would lie if I didn't admit that I am concerned about our durability and stamina right now. Ie if we were as rested this year as we were this time of the year last year, I think we win the Cup. I just think we are a lot more tired this year. We played in June last year and it's mid-May now. McD is a bit banged up for sure, and he is so valuble to us. MSL don't have any jump out there, which hurt even more with Zucc out. Remember that it also has been a real long year for a rook like Hayes.

I think we will play a good series, even better than Tampa looking at like style. But I am a bit afraid that we won't be able to push back if put in certain situations. So can we still win it? Of course. They keys for me is that we gotta be able to find offense. We will need to get a little more plain skill goals.

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014
When time is spent nearly exclusively at one end of the ice, it's domination. The angles of the shots are irrelevant, because lots of goals are scored on deflections and luck.

There were stretches where the Rangers were literally gasping for air, as were almost all of the viewers.

The notion that someone never worried they might lose in OT is more an indicator of something other than understanding the possibilities of one bad bounce.

Exactly right. If you didn't think that a fluky/garbage/ somehow "lucky" goal was not going to win it, you hadn't watch the ret of the series. Both goalies played great.
In the end the Rangers got a loss puck from the faceoff, got a point shot were Holtby was screened and the shot got blocked. It deflected right on Stepan's stick , a little luck, Holtby was down didn't see wear the puck went until Stepan starts to shoot.
GOAL!!!

SkjeiPls

May 21, 2013
I like this series matchup a lot more than the last series.

Washington's style of play reminded me a lot of Boston's, and we typically don't fare well against Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad