Post-Game Talk (GBU): Easiest GBU of all time

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Great to see them play like this and get rewarded. We've seen them play with the lead twice, I'm interested to see how they play from behind.

Some other random observations.

- The opposing team knows about Olofsson on the PP already, but even then, you can't stop that shot.
- I LOVE Jokiharju's game
- All four lines have scored now after two game.
- Odd man rushes against have been mostly broken up
- Holy break-away. What is that 8 in two games?
- Glad to see Skinner/Johansson connect. Need to get Skinner going (even though that was his 10th SOG in two games).
- Mittelstadt line continues to work hard and generate chances
- Dahlin's mobility on the Okposo goal is incredible.
- PP looks best in the league, or close to the top.
- PK needs some more work, but got the job done, and got better as the game went along
- I want to see more Eichel/Olofsson on the PK
- Risto and McCabe not letting NJ establish themselves as the physical team.
- Risto had one or two Risto moments, but it didn't cost them and in fact, the way the team D is working, it helps his game quite a bit
- Did I mentioned I LOVE Jokiharju's game?
- Eichel/Olofsson/Reinhart strangely each with a -1 for the night
- Vesey seems to be struggling with the Sabres system IMO. Maybe an opportunity for ERod there, though the team will need to lose one or two before Krueger tinkers.
- I liked how Krueger tried to get Olofsson out there to try for the hatty at the end. Almost got it, too...
- I was going to say I didn't like Hutton's game, but then I went back and watched the condensed game and he really didn't have a chance on either NJ goal. Still, wondering when Ullmark will get his shot.
- Reinhart seems both faster and better at shooting already. I could see him having more goals than Eichel.
- A friend of mine turned me around on Risto last year as far as possibly trading him. Thought it would be a big mistake. Lots of depth on this team, but even when healthy bodies come back, I don't see how you move him out. No one in the org with the exception of Borgen brings that physical element to the game.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
G: Making GIFs this season will be fun...

giphy.gif
Risto crushed Wood at least 3 times by my count.

Reactions: jc17

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
- A friend of mine turned me around on Risto last year as far as possibly trading him. Thought it would be a big mistake. Lots of depth on this team, but even when healthy bodies come back, I don't see how you move him out. No one in the org with the exception of Borgen brings that physical element to the game.
There aren't many guys on the team who line up big hits consistently like Risto does, but McCabe has it in him as we saw tonight. Miller plays physical and I think Dahlin will if he needs to. And Borgen as you said.

I'm not as concerned in a Risto trade where the physicality might be coming from the back end... but I'm a little concerned however that I don't think we have a single forward that is really any kind of imposing physical presence.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Side note: I love the lack of emotion of Krueger, like that GIF someone posted of him not really responding to the goal as the players and other coaches celebrated. This guy is going to make sure these players never fly too high and always remember that every goal and win has to be earned. Never getting too high or too low and sticking to the plan is a big key to consistency in this league and something I think the team has struggled with a lot through the few highs and many lows of the last few years.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If we had it your way, Dahlin would be broken down in years. Wanting out. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes with Dahlin as we did with Risto. I'm more than happy with Dahlin being put into a position to develop instead of being forced to sink or swim.

Huh?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Side note: I love the lack of emotion of Krueger, like that GIF someone posted of him not really responding to the goal as the players and other coaches celebrated. This guy is going to make sure these players never fly too high and always remember that every goal and win has to be earned. Never getting too high or too low and sticking to the plan is a big key to consistency in this league and something I think the team has struggled with a lot through the few highs and many lows of the last few years.

I think it's also a monumental mindset change.

When you expect to do something well, you don't go crazy when it happens because it really ISN'T that big a deal. It shows confidence in what you are doing, and that you believe in it.

I know it's 2 games, but this coaching hire man...

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Time for me to eat crow, I quoted about four
Of you in the PGT today and talked about how the devils would be hungry the same way Boston was when they got embrasssed the night before our home opener last year. I was wrong. I did call the devils weakness their goaltending situation for tonight so I was wrong about everything but that.

I was too positive calling it a must win after the first win (although I still think it was crucial and helped tonight too) and I was too negative in the pre game thread. I just know you don’t want to play a team after they lose a important one or badly, look at the pens tonight, knew they would strike back. I also expect them to fall this season but people have been dramatic about their fall for the last half Decade (even before the two cups in a row) and they’ve literally made the playoffs every year since 2007. That means they’ve made the playoffs the last time we won a playoff series. So their talk of sucking and how we beat a bad team last game maybe can wait until they actually miss the playoffs? Anyway I was wrong about us thankfully and we came out great.

It’s hard not to be excited when you win the first two games 10-3 over two teams many expect to make the playoffs, but due to last year I’m reserved until st least the all star break. I know it’s different then last year (housley) lol....but still, and jack only has what two points on those ten, that’s great news for us. Reinhardt not in his fall coma and olofsson! Also sweet seeing skinner get on the sheet.
We forgive you lol.I mean we are Buffalo lol.However was positive because of the way we played as a unit it's almost like this team has been together for awhile.Also I think our young core is as good as anyone's so if the fringe players play their roles we would have a decent year. I am very impressed by specialty teams that PP is lethal and PK has been agressive

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Great to see them play like this and get rewarded. We've seen them play with the lead twice, I'm interested to see how they play from behind.

Some other random observations.

- The opposing team knows about Olofsson on the PP already, but even then, you can't stop that shot.
- I LOVE Jokiharju's game
- All four lines have scored now after two game.
- Odd man rushes against have been mostly broken up
- Holy break-away. What is that 8 in two games?
- Glad to see Skinner/Johansson connect. Need to get Skinner going (even though that was his 10th SOG in two games).
- Mittelstadt line continues to work hard and generate chances
- Dahlin's mobility on the Okposo goal is incredible.
- PP looks best in the league, or close to the top.
- PK needs some more work, but got the job done, and got better as the game went along
- I want to see more Eichel/Olofsson on the PK
- Risto and McCabe not letting NJ establish themselves as the physical team.
- Risto had one or two Risto moments, but it didn't cost them and in fact, the way the team D is working, it helps his game quite a bit
- Did I mentioned I LOVE Jokiharju's game?
- Eichel/Olofsson/Reinhart strangely each with a -1 for the night
- Vesey seems to be struggling with the Sabres system IMO. Maybe an opportunity for ERod there, though the team will need to lose one or two before Krueger tinkers.
- I liked how Krueger tried to get Olofsson out there to try for the hatty at the end. Almost got it, too...
- I was going to say I didn't like Hutton's game, but then I went back and watched the condensed game and he really didn't have a chance on either NJ goal. Still, wondering when Ullmark will get his shot.
- Reinhart seems both faster and better at shooting already. I could see him having more goals than Eichel.
Great post

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Just saw the final score now... I followed my wife to bed after the second so I could take care of business. Really, that was the most fun I’ve had watching (most of) a game since the last time they clinched a playoff spot against Philly in what, 2011? The crowd sounded loud over the TV and really into it right from the beginning. Awesome.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Obviously as a fan watching mediocre hockey for a while, I personally want the team to do well for my own enjoyment.

But I also just want some guys on the roster like McCabe, eichel, sam, risto, girgs, larsson, who have been here for some pretty lousy years and worked hard through it, to be rewarded.

Making the playoffs and seeing that weight come off their backs would be so rewarding.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I was a bit nervous for our home opener. That quickly faded as we established our style of play again from the get-go.

What a joy to behold. It's actually fun to watch them play now.

Couldn't have gone better for their 50th anniversary season.

Everyone played their part. I even though Scandella played pretty well, he had a few key blocked shots.

Can't think of anything bad to say about the game.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
So much to say!
PP clicking
1st line looks great
Mojo/Skinner
Response to the devils first goal
Risto and McCabe trucking Wood and Hall on the same shift
Joker and Miller's passing from the back end
O-zone puck movement

B/U
Nothing

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
When I got home from the game last night I wrote up some comments but guess being tired and still all stirred up I forgot to hit post reply. Anyhow I was impressed with the team structure and the buy in of all the players. Except for Eichel losing his man on the first goal and then Joker getting schooled on a spin around that led to the second goal I thought we played an almost text book game. Risto, McCabe and Miller made life hell for the NJ forwards but still showed they could move the puck out of their own end quickly and accurately. The trust factor --that players would be where they were supposed to be-was quite evident-especially on the breakouts. Reinhart was outstanding and while Dahlin had a few "oops" moments his skill and confidence just shone through. A lot has been said about the rest of the core so I will leave it at that. All I as now is to keep up the way you are playing Sabres!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad