Post-Game Talk (GBU): Easiest GBU of all time

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’m not sure if this is recency bias or not but it seems like the players have more autonomy to cheat up Ice if they find soft spots in the defense.

what we saw a lot under Bylsma and Housley was by the time the puck got to the neutral zone / past center ice there were 2 forwards standing on the blue line waiting for the puck. That allowed the opposing defense to stand on the blue line as well and we were forced to dump in.

The Sabres have had 6-7 breakaways in the first two games. Without really doing any sort of real analysis I wonder if it’s because RK is allowing them to play less rigid breakouts and just find cushions to pass into.. similar to what NFL WRs do when the opposing D plays zone.. the route becomes less rigid and more run into the open space.

Im definitely intrigued to see if this consistency breakout well continues. It’s obvious that breakouts are one of the most important aspects of the sport right now.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They play and build plays like a soccer team. Other teams will figure out the way buffalo is causing problems through their use of a defensive midfielder.

Eichel and Johansson seem adept at being box to box guys while using wingers to disrupt play.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Hard to criticize anything when they are 2-0 and look that good doing it.

But wouldn't E-rod slot in well for sobotka? And once healthy, pilut in for scandella?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
So far, what's not to like? The whole team has been very good. But the Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo line deserves specific praise. That line has been absolutely dominating their minutes for two games now.

That line is going to need a name.
They'll get none from me... They don't deserve to be on this team... Ship them out... BTW, it's been two games lol

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Honestly watching the consistent pressure and dominance from this line up these two games just brings back memories of the confidence of the mid-2000 Sabres. Every period you came to expect that. I'm greedy for that to come back.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They'll get none from me... They don't deserve to be on this team... Ship them out... BTW, it's been two games lol
Why do we need to ship them out? Girgs/Larsson have been an effective 2/3rds of a 4th line for quite some time, even under Housley. They’ve also been effective PKers for some time as well. What exactly is it about them that makes you want them gone?

I completely understand wanting to get rid of Okposo’s contract. even with him playing well right now. But I can’t think of a logical reason to want to get rid of Girgs/Larsson.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As much of a forum favorite ERod is you do not mess with this lineup. Sobotka has been fine overall. Erod will be ready when his # is called. Sobotka had a good camp and deserves to play until he is no longer a top 12 forward on the team.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Broke my home opener curse finally lol- been at every one since Eichel and this one was by far the best.

The 4th line was flying and even though I hate a 6m 4th liner I think Okposo was decent enough.

I can’t even be mad at Sobotka - he wasn’t great but he wasn’t horrible. If Ralph turns him into not a liability even, he deserves a statue lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This line was good last year, too - just not *this* good.

Two thoughts there - they're starting almost twice as often in the offensive zone so far as compared to last year (33% vs. 15%) and of course the defense has improved enough when you look at the transition plays from guys like Joker to stretch the puck up the ice. A more beneficial deployment should see them have a mild uptick in production.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Two thoughts there - they're starting almost twice as often in the offensive zone so far as compared to last year (33% vs. 15%) and of course the defense has improved enough when you look at the transition plays from guys like Joker to stretch the puck up the ice. A more beneficial deployment should see them have a mild uptick in production.

An amazing note on the zone deployments

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
An amazing note on the zone deployments

Own the puck through good support and effort to create pressure, both in terms of checking and outlets, and good things follow. I've had more fun with these two games than just about the entire 10-game streak last season. They owned play, it wasn't just catching breaks. If they can keep this up... good things will follow.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I’m legit stunned that after the last 2 games there are any criticisms over the lineup.
Seriously.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I've watched the replays on the 2nd goal of the game by Jack, and I am not sure Skinner poked it back under Blackwood. I think Blackwood tried to cover it with his glove, and it squirted under him to Jack. His glove gets in front of skinner's stick, preventing him from touching the puck IMO.

Not that it matters, but I think it was unassisted.

A goal is a goal though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad