Post-Game Talk (GBU): Easiest GBU of all time

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Why do we need to ship them out? Girgs/Larsson have been an effective 2/3rds of a 4th line for quite some time, even under Housley. They’ve also been effective PKers for some time as well. What exactly is it about them that makes you want them gone?

I completely understand wanting to get rid of Okposo’s contract. even with him playing well right now. But I can’t think of a logical reason to want to get rid of Girgs/Larsson.

Because they've been a part of the losing culture so I think they need to go...Also, they are too one-dimensional.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Because they've been a part of the losing culture so I think they need to go...Also, they are too one-dimensional.

Eichel & Reinhart have been a part of the same culture since their rookie seasons.

This team is playing amazing right now. There is absolutely no reason to jerk with anything at this point.

Even if this hot start wears off, I doubt you see them move serviceable depth players for late round picks.

Also, with 44 out of 50 contracts, they are t-2nd fewest contracts in the league. Only the Jets have fewer contracts. So, there is no real reason to dump one or both of them to clear a contract or two.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Imagine people so dumb they think Reiley is better than Dahlin.

To me that's just their typical homerism, what I love is two different threads where a leafs fan just popped in to crap on the sabres outta nowhere. 1 was some dude saying "who cares, they'll get wrecked in the first round of the playoffs".. so you have us in the playoffs then? #2 was some clown in the T. Hall thread saying "unrelated, but I don't like the sabres jerseys."

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
To me that's just their typical homerism, what I love is two different threads where a leafs fan just popped in to crap on the sabres outta nowhere. 1 was some dude saying "who cares, they'll get wrecked in the first round of the playoffs".. so you have us in the playoffs then? #2 was some clown in the T. Hall thread saying "unrelated, but I don't like the sabres jerseys."
Wow. Relevant again. The best kind of rivalry is when both teams are competitive. I think we will all enjoy the ride.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I asked for a logical argument/reason to trade them. This isn’t one.

Holding it against them because they happened to be here when we sucked, through no fault of their own, isn’t very logical.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
As much of a forum favorite ERod is you do not mess with this lineup. Sobotka has been fine overall. Erod will be ready when his # is called. Sobotka had a good camp and deserves to play until he is no longer a top 12 forward on the team.
I'm not an e-rod fan boy. I think he's a 4th liner on a good team, 3rd liner at best. But a 4th liner is better than someone without NHL level talent, I.E. Sobotka. I know he's been "effective" and we're 2-0, but wouldn't we be getting more out of practically anyone in Sobotka's spot?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Jersey # PositionPlayerGame #2
6DScandella0
9FEichel1
10DJokiharju1
13FVesey0
17FSobotka0
19DMcCabe1
21FOkposo1
22FLarsson1
23FReinhart1
26DDahlin1
28FGirgensons1
33DMiller1
37FMittelstadt1
43FSheary0
53FSkinner1
55DRistolainen1
68FOlofsson1
90FJohansson1
35GUllmark-
40GHutton1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

@GOALOFSSON

Replaying the game last night and looking at my notes, there was a lot more positive play from the guys than previously thought of. Again, a lot of guys with the majority making positive plays. Overall a solid game.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Jersey # PositionPlayerGame #2
6DScandella0
9FEichel1
10DJokiharju1
13FVesey0
17FSobotka0
19DMcCabe1
21FOkposo1
22FLarsson1
23FReinhart1
26DDahlin1
28FGirgensons1
33DMiller1
37FMittelstadt1
43FSheary0
53FSkinner1
55DRistolainen1
68FOlofsson1
90FJohansson1
35GUllmark-
40GHutton1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
@GOALOFSSON

Replaying the game last night and looking at my notes, there was a lot more positive play from the guys than previously thought of. Again, a lot of guys with the majority making positive plays. Overall a solid game.
How do these rankings work? It seems really subjective.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ugly:

Capture.JPG

:facepalm:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
So I got lucky on Friday night, didn't leave her place until Monday morning.
Meanwhile both Buffalo teams play great, my soccer team gets a win, my favorite tennis player is victorious in Bejing and I didn't get to see any of it.
If that's what it takes to support my teams I guess I can live with it :D:D

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
lol @ the NHL blocking the Sabres own YT channel. But the video is up on the Sabres website.

I know. It just is a really dumb look. They should have just gotten a hold of someone at the Sabres told them to take the YT video down if they really want to push people to the NHL/Sabres website.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How do these rankings work? It seems really subjective.

They are not rankings. These are completely subjective opinions on who I thought played well, meh, and bad for that particular game. It really doesn't mean anything to the game, just something different.

I watch the games. I make note of how the players play. If they had, OVERALL, a positive game, they get a 1. They don't necessarily need to be on the scoresheet (for example, even though Eichel didn't get a point in Pittsburgh, he still got a 1 for his defensive game and overall game). Just because they make a bad mistake, doesn't necessarily mean they would get a -1, which is the score they get if they played bad or had a negative impact on the game. If guys kind of just played, but didn't impact the game much they got a 0. Of course the weight of the mistake does come into play. If a guy coughs the puck up and leads directly to a goal, it might be harder for a player to make up for that play making positive plays. If a player is weak on the puck and loses a battle long the boards, then that is easier to makeup for during the game. If a player has created offense all night, but has a turnover, he would probably still be considered to have a positive impact on the game. I've come to the opinion that one play doesn't make the guy, and this is just an attempt to "score" that on players.

I'm only doing 1, 0, -1 because quite frankly, it's more exhausting to discuss who had a BETTER game and justifying what a player should received on a scale(often times it gets into advanced statistics wars and personal bias gets in the way) than it is to just discuss if a player played well/good. It also leads to less of a personal bias (which I will admit, creeps in when discussing players and who played the best for myself). I think it potentially could lead more productive discussions as it's more of a yes or no, than a player vs player comparison (which is silly since they play on the same team).

For example; this was from the Pit Game:

GBU: - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Welcome to our new Krueger overlord!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Meanwhile both Buffalo teams play great, my soccer team gets a win, my favorite tennis player is victorious in Bejing and I didn't get to see any of it.
We have a crack squad of HFBoards Buffalo black ops members lined up to chain you to the bed until after the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup. If Kim Pegula finds out, we have @MacOfNiagara & Kyle Williams lined up to perform a legal binding wedding on the premises. Bills Mafia has a duty roster filled in to cover your work / school / family holiday schedule of responsibilities until mid-June.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
They are not rankings. These are completely subjective opinions on who I thought played well, meh, and bad for that particular game. It really doesn't mean anything to the game, just something different.
I should have said ratings, not rankings. Anyway, that's fine. Doesn't seem like it's of much use to the rest of us, though.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

A weekend of sex is a victory in and of itself, multiple SportsBall victories on top of it? Legen-dary.

:)

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I should have said ratings, not rankings. Anyway, that's fine. Doesn't seem like it's of much use to the rest of us, though.

I didn't expect, nor planned it to be of any sort of use, outside of engaging and starting a conversation. Just something different to do for the GBU threads.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
When did PK's wheels fall off? That was absurd that he couldn't catch Samson.
I don't know if it was a skating issue as much as just getting caught flat-footed. Not many guys would have caught up in that situation.

Nathan Gerbe did something similar to PK way back when.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad