Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It almost has to be a center. Detroit lacks elite center depth. There's only one good/great center in the whole organization.

Left side of our defense at least as bleak if not more. No promising young players on the roster. Decent prospects in Johansson/Wallinder/McIsaac, but nothing you can hang your hat on.

I think #1 or 2 LHD and #1 or 2 C are the biggest needs for the future core, as well as a goalie. I think the top end of this draft is probably a bit stronger in LHD than C, but there are good options for both positions. I do think it's pretty unlikely we'd take a pure winger though.

In my ideal world we'd add Luke Hughes this year and one of Wright/Lambert next year, but I'm not counting on anything.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno has prove in SHL that he's capable #2 Center, he was # 1 center with team Canada in last wjc. I don't know if Niederbach capable #2 center, but we about to see it with team Sweden. We don't have anyone for goaltender position . It is our biggest needs

No he hasn't. His scoring in the SHL has been pathetic (83rd in points and 93rd in ppg), he hasn't shown he's great at defense (worst +/- in the league). Nothing at the SHL level has shown he's a capable or ever going to be a top 6 center in the NHL. And being 23rd in PPG at the WJC, especially on team Canada is a joke.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Left side of our defense at least as bleak if not more. No promising young players on the roster. Decent prospects in Johansson/Wallinder/McIsaac, but nothing you can hang your hat on.

I think #1 or 2 LHD and #1 or 2 C are the biggest needs for the future core, as well as a goalie. I think the top end of this draft is probably a bit stronger in LHD than C, but there are good options for both positions. I do think it's pretty unlikely we'd take a pure winger though.

In my ideal world we'd add Luke Hughes this year and one of Wright/Lambert next year, but I'm not counting on anything.
My thoughts exactly. The pick this year depends on draft position, but D takes longer to develop so LHD this draft and C the next. Goalie in the second round...

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
What's the sense that Guenther could make it work at center? I've seen some places list him as C/W. Would love his style of game down the middle in Detroit

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
What's the sense that Guenther could make it work at center? I've seen some places list him as C/W. Would love his style of game down the middle in Detroit

I probably haven't seen enough of Guenther to give the most informed answer around, but from what I have seen and read he has the qualities to play center at the next level. 6'1, bit slim but looks like he can fill out his frame, so I don't see size being an issue a la Rossi/Perfetti. Good skater, pretty good 200-ft player, good vision and shot.

Maybe someone who has seen him more than I have could describe whether or not his game translates better at wing, but in terms of measurables he strikes me as a good bet at center.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Ok fast forward to the lotto and magically the wings are awarded the 1st pick,

what are we gonna do with it ?

is there a clear cut #1 ?
would it benefit the team by trading down and collecting more picks ?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

No trade down , I don't like how they drafted after Raymond was taken. I trust Yzerman with our first one, just not with rest of the draft

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Right now I dont care if we have 1st overall, there is no clear 1st overall consensus pick. I would like Hughes or Wallstedt. Maybe Clarke around 3/4th overall

Reactions: lilidk

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There are mostly centers and right-handed ones as top picks (Wright, Lambert, Savoie).

Just like this 2021 is full of LhDs.

I mean, depends on where you draft, but in the top 4 there's one LHD that looks worth a shot. However Kent Johnson looks like a stud center that could be had at 4th, where Detroit is most likely to draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I mean, depends on where you draft, but in the top 4 there's one LHD that looks worth a shot. However Kent Johnson looks like a stud center that could be had at 4th, where Detroit is most likely to draft.

Kent Johnson is looking great as a top 10 pick but not quite top 5 as of yet.

Brandt Clarke will eventually be deserving of a top 3 pick, but without having played yet it's hard to peg him there.
Lambos is ranked way too low on Bob McKenzie's list at 17 but the kid is probably going to end up somewhere between 4 and 7 in this year's draft.
Owen Power will go between 1 and 4.
Luke Hughes will probably go between 3 and 8.
Edvinsson will go between 3 and 10.

All of these guys look worth a shot for different reasons.

Also with our division looking kind of like a cluster F, I'm gonna get crazy and say I'm good with drafting Wallstedt pending his WJC and the rest of his year. I think there's a 50% chance we finish 2nd to last in our division instead of dead last, and we're likely picking 4 or later again. Wallstedt could be the best talent and the most sure-bet of a franchise level player in our pick range.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

So far he is playing as winger and Beniers is that interesting center (who is centering him).

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So far he is playing as winger and Beniers is that interesting center (who is centering him).
Yes, as a first year NCAA player he's been playing wing with a better center to be top 6. But he's playing well in the NCAA at a time where its a struggle to even be playing.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Hello guys! Never posted here on the wings board (was out of hf for few years) im really high on Eklund too but i would like LD this year then C in 22. I wouldnt mind getting screwed by the lottery again and drafting Lambos/Hughes/Edvinsson if we could hit the real homerun with Wright the year after.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hello guys! Never posted here on the wings board (was out of hf for few years) im really high on Eklund too but i would like LD this year then C in 22. I wouldnt mind getting screwed by the lottery again and drafting Lambos/Hughes/Edvinsson if we could hit the real homerun with Wright the year after.

I'm not too worried about that LD anymore. Think this 2021 will be our goalie draft (Wallstedt) and 2022 for C (Wright/Lambert).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Of course, Beniers plays like he's been in college for years now, so it's kinda a mixed bag.

I've mentioned this before but Beniers playing at the program would have really helped him prepare for college, considering they actually play NCAA teams. Vs 2 guys on the same team who have played in lower leagues that ended early last year. Its gonna be big to just watch how they develop as the year goes on vs how theyve been early in the season. And even then, Johnson is outproducing Beniers right now

I could see it being Power just based on the fact that he projects extremely easily to the NHL, even if he doesnt become a bonafide number one type D. Youre going to get a big, fairly mean top 4 dman and with scouting being weird this year it might make sense to take the safest player even if someone like Clarke was rated highly going into the season. Less risk with Power than anyone in this draft while also having a solid claim to first overall

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who are the 2021 draft eligible players to watch for at the WJC?

8. C Matthew Beniers (USA)
13. G Jesper Wallstedt (SWE)
18. D Danil Chayka (RUS)
25. Lw Oskar Olausson (SWE)
35. D Dtanislav Svozil (CZE)
57. C Lorenzo Canonica (SUI)
67. D Kirill Kirsanov (RUS)
72. C Oleksii Myklukha (SVK)
79. C Samuel Helenius (FIN)
118. RD Ruben Rafkin (FIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.