Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
St.John’s Newfoundland has been gone for 10 plus years. Think that’s what he’s getting at.

OK. I get it.

Je sais pertinemment bien que le club est au Nouveau-Brunswick et non à Terre-Neuve.

C'est l'orthographe qui est problématique et non mes connaissances géographiques. Probablement que Joe n'avait pas compris ça en regardant mon profil parce que Sorel, c'est au Québec et au Québec la très grande majorité est francophone. La géographie est un art qui se perd disait-il.

Mais dans le fond, je ne suis qu'un francophone qui se fend en quatre pour communiquer dans votre langue. À l'avenir je porterai une attention particulière lorsqu'il sera question des Chiens de mer de Saint-Jean. Encore désolé, un gars averti en vaut deux!

Bon Google Translate !

Last edited:
Reactions: dwgs

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
OK. I get it.

Je sais pertinemment bien que le club est au Nouveau-Brunswick et non à Terre-Neuve.

C'est l'orthographe qui est problématique et non mes connaissances géographiques. Probablement que Joe n'avait pas compris ça en regardant mon profil parce que Sorel, c'est au Québec et au Québec la très grande majorité est francophone. La géographie est un art qui se perd disait-il.

Mais dans le fond, je ne suis qu'un francophone qui se fend en quatre pour communiquer dans votre langue. À l'avenir je porterai une attention particulière lorsqu'il sera question des Chiens de mer de Saint-Jean. Encore désolé, un gars averti en vaut deux!

Bon Google Translate !

No big deal, just being a little cheeky. Please don't take offense.

I am sure people mix up St-Jean-Sur- Richelieu and St-Jean-Port-Joli.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
And it's not necessarily a language thing. I'm from Ontario and I've been reamed out (when I was young and stupid) by Easterners (don't call people from New Brunswick Maritimers, they'll yell at you for that too) for adding 's when I shouldn't have. :nod:

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
And back to the topic. Sea Dog GM, in a recent "townhall" has said there will be 2 trades announced at the start of the next trading session, one D and one F. The D is rumored to be Innes from Rimouski, the F ??? If these are solid additions to the roster, and they should be, there will be few spots for anything other than elite 16 year olds. I would expect an experienced goaltender to be added , but this is Patenaude's job to lose. The quality and age of players in these trades will indicate what seaso this team is peaking for.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
With the new CSR list (I find CSR is taken with a grain of salt) their coverage of prep school players has always been not the best and it shows beside Lastrazza...guys like Ryan Hopkins, Jake Furlong, Jake Rozzi and Jordan Dumais I find kind of shocking of how low they ranked them...….Hopkins heights on CSR seems way smaller than he looked on the ice?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
With the new CSR list (I find CSR is taken with a grain of salt) their coverage of prep school players has always been not the best and it shows beside Lastrazza...guys like Ryan Hopkins, Jake Furlong, Jake Rozzi and Jordan Dumais I find kind of shocking of how low they ranked them...….Hopkins heights on CSR seems way smaller than he looked on the ice?

Stanstead has him 6'1 168. Some of the listings are a joke.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Yesterday, some were saying that performance at 13 years old shouldn't be considered. I agree with them.

Surprisingly, CSR posted the height and weight of some players when they were that age.

I'm joking but I'm not that far from the truth in some cases.

Teams interrested in a player have the right information about that for sure and that's the most important.

Last edited:

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020

That’s Hopkins peewee size, Furlong too lol. They are both over 6 feet now.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
CSR should start checking eliteprospects.com , their information is more up to date.

NewfieInOntario

May 7, 2018
Great to see Mercer, Loughlin, Reardon and Bridger all ranked. Can’t seem to find any other NL kids. Great to see Yoan Loshling to be ranked quite high as i’ve seen him in a couple games this year. Would expect him to move further up as the draft comes

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
@RBZ agreed but unfortunately you have to be on the CSR list to be drafted. It’s not good when kids are missed by CSR. Also kids way down the list based on playing away. It looks like if you were playing away from Pei or NB you are either not listed or dumped into rounds 13/14. Also seems this way for kids playing in NL. The kids playing away from N.S. and Que. Where are they seen by CSR? There are significant differences in rank vs other kids away but not in ability.

Reactions: RBZ

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
@RBZ agreed but unfortunately you have to be on the CSR list to be drafted. It’s not good when kids are missed by CSR. Also kids way down the list based on playing away. It looks like if you were playing away from Pei or NB you are either not listed or dumped into rounds 13/14. Also seems this way for kids playing in NL. The kids playing away from N.S. and Que. Where are they seen by CSR? There are significant differences in rank vs other kids away but not in ability.

If you're not on CSR list that means that you're not on any team list either because every team can add players on the list between the last preliminary and the final list.

So even if you're on the CSR list, you won't get drafted if you're not on a team list.

At the end of the day, a player can complain against his ranking on CSR list but he can't put the blame on CSR for not being drafted.

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Nice to see the kids that stay and play locally get noticed over the rich kids that go to prep schools. You don’t have to go “away” to make it as a player. In fact, it looks to be hurting a lot of kids. Not good for Norte dame and the elitists.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Nice to see the kids that stay and play locally get noticed over the rich kids that go to prep schools. You don’t have to go “away” to make it as a player. In fact, it looks to be hurting a lot of kids. Not good for Norte dame and the elitists.
That is possibly the most one sided old school way of looking at things I’ve heard in a while. Sure you don’t have to go away but.... maybe you do!
Rich kids? That’s putting an unfair label on a lot of kids. No doubt there’s a bunch of “Rich” family’s who’s kids go to prep and I’m not saying for all but they generally are paying the roster filling bills. On the other side there’s lots that schools are able to bring in with minimal fees and by minimum I mean less then the $10,000-$15,000 it costs a kid to play Major Midget, travel, off ice training, spring on and off ice training and spring hockey ( if they choose) Hurting kids in what way? CSR ranking? Who cares. If a kid has gone to prep they most likely have more interests in life then just playing in the Q. I’m sure there are some that dream of the Q, some have zero interest but wish to pursue education using current hockey abilities. Some combo of both and of course your “rich” ones that maybe doing all of that but can just pay for it. I think a lot more needs to be considered before labeling a kid that maybe took advantage of an offer or multiple offers to both work at developing hockey wise and academically, not to mention life experience. Don’t think labeling them all as an elitist is necessary. Any how enough ranting, just rubbed me the wrong way. I believe a kid will get out of anything what they are willing to get out of it. If they are willing to put the work in and have the abilities to go with it then their path will be their path. Please do not label kids that go away as rich elitist, I know a few that are the absolute opposite of that. Funny thing is I know the exact people you speak of that play in their local areas as well.

Reactions: Lap2000 and dwgs

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Kids should stay home and play in their local midget league until they get drafted at 16 and then go away. I don't see the point in going away at 13-14 when they will be away from 16 if they are good enough. Just my opinion and the rankings support that.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Kids should stay home and play in their local midget league until they get drafted at 16 and then go away. I don't see the point in going away at 13-14 when they will be away from 16 if they are good enough. Just my opinion and the rankings support that.
Well I can certainly respect that, calling them all Rich elitist I struggle with. I think if you dig into it you may find it quite the opposite for the majority. I also don’t disagree or agree. I’m 50/50 myself on going away or staying. To many variables. Some organizations seem to be well run and all about development and some not so much. Some provinces seem to support kids no matter what and others seem to black list you ( lack of better words) if you do venture out. I’m not sure if going away really hurts your Q chances, maybe with a scout that thinks the Rich Elitist thought automatically but with any scout that has some integrity they will judge a kid by actual ability and maybe even a bit higher on the maturity and ability to function away from mom and dad when looking for a 16 year old to be able to handle the Q life. I mentioned that before. I think CSR got caught with their pants down this year waiting on Gatorade and put a somewhat educated list together. Wrong teams listed for some, wrong heights and weights for most. I’m sure they will be a little more diligent for next season and there after. Only my opinion but there seems to be some kids that stayed and played local that are much further down the list then should be. But that’s just me putting a team together.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
I absolutely agree with this point of view. I don't think you expressed yourself very well the first time, you sounded like an 'old time hockey' kinda guy. My kid is going into 2nd year BTAAA (Covid willing) and that's exactly where we're at. Work hard, have a good season, do your best to make Midget AAA and see what your options are. Knowing the odds of being able to make a living playing hockey are slim if he gets an offer from a school at that point...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad