Injury Report: Eager concussed

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Hordichuk

Hopefully Hordichuk draws into the lineup against the Kings. Last night's game was quite apparent that if he or Eager are not in this lineup we have nothing from a toughness perspective. Smid, I guess, but outside of him even the D looks soft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Any chance Eager gets bought out?

He's so useless!

I said in the buyout thread at some point he or Belanger could be bought out if they didn't improve and guys like Harti or Lander step up to replace him.

It is kinda early, but Eager is behind the 8-ball now.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
Potter, Hartikainen out.

Fistric, Hordichuk in.

Eager played well in the first game, hope he gets well sooner than Peckham did.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I actually like Eager. A man with his size and speed are hard to find and if he could play that agitator role, he could be a pretty important piece. A man that can draw penalties is pretty valuable when you have a power play like the Oilers have.

However this is his second concussion in as many years. It's pretty safe to say you can’t play that role with concussion issues.
His career is over

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is a tough blow for us, honestly what terrible luck.

I thought he brought good energy and some physical edge to our game vs. Vancouver and answered the bell for Hall getting run after the whistle.

I hate to say it but really what the **** at the guy who ran him during the Joey Moss game or whatever in training camp last year. It's fine to want to make the team, but don't do something stupid like that.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
1)He does nothing to help the Oilers

2)He takes a roster spot away from another forward that can potentially help the Oilers.

So waste one of your buyouts on a player that makes 1.1 million when you could just send him to the minors? And a) someone picks him up, or b) he plays in the minors and 1.1 million doesn't hurt your cap.

Amos665

Jan 22, 2013
Edmonton
If this is a season long concussion he cannot be bought-out over the summer, and he will be entering into his final year of the contract. It's pretty useless to buy him out anyway. If he get's healthy enough, waive the guy next year and hope someone picks him up. If not, he can be the 13th forward.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hopefully Hordichuk draws into the lineup against the Kings. Last night's game was quite apparent that if he or Eager are not in this lineup we have nothing from a toughness perspective. Smid, I guess, but outside of him even the D looks soft.

Hordichuk would have made not one difference against the Sharks.

Unless you think he could either a) kill penalties better, or b) box out the big Shark forwards from in front of the net.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I doubt he will retire and just forgo the nearly 2 million left in salary he signed for. Especially when he probably knows that he won't get that again once this contract's done.

Ben Eager's played in the gravy train years. I'd like to think he has saved enough money. Is a few more bucks worth scrambled brains or death? If you can't take a punch or can't take a hit maybe get off the ice already.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
isnt this two years in a row he gets concussed early

well there goes his physical play

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Aside from being an excellent skater, I don't see what Eager brings to this team that you can't get from Hordichuk or Hartikainen. With that said, I did like his game against Vancouver and it sucks that he's hurt.

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
He's now officially damaged goods. We can't expect him to be effective at what he's supposed to do from this point forward (not that he was performing up to expectations before).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Any chance Eager gets bought out?

He's so useless!

Not sure his contract is large enough that you can use him as one of the buyouts. I think it has to be over 3 mill or something like that. Put him on LTIR and then the team cap gets pushed over the limit by that much. Problem solved.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Not sure his contract is large enough that you can use him as one of the buyouts. I think it has to be over 3 mill or something like that. Put him on LTIR and then the team cap gets pushed over the limit by that much. Problem solved.

No, that $3M limit was only the abbreviated Pre-season buyouts of Redden and Gomez.

But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy out one year of Eager at $1+M when you have Horcoff's millstone contract.

Just assign him to the minors at some point and hope someone grabs him off waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad