Injury Report: Eager concussed

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If this was the case he would've lost his roster spot last season when he was useless.

On any other club he would've been gone. That we have a dearth of physical forwards is the only reason this already established bust is even signed.

Not holding out any hope that Ben Eager resurrects his spent career.

Good thing he spent the offseason *training* with bar fights though..thats a step up from punching out inanimate hd cameras.

Ben Eager belongs as a SNL skit. Or a Goon II sideline story, if only he was even capable as a goon.

Next, no, just give the roster spot to an actual competing hockey player.

Eager dealt with back problems and a concussion. There was no reason not to give him a chance after a long layoff.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Speed and a big body in the bottom 6. He is really fast for a big guy. Right now our bottom six is so slow.

Right now, our bottom six is (when not injured) is...

Smyth - Horcoff - Petrell
Paajarvi - Belanger - Hartikainen

Smyth, Horcoff, Petrell and Belanger are on the PK.

Hartikainen is on the PP.

Eager is on neither, and isn't necessary for defending or scoring. Basically he would take Paajarvi's position. But he's not faster than Paajarvi so what exactly is Eager adding to the lineup and who is he supposed to replace in the lineup?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Right now, our bottom six is (when not injured) is...

Smyth - Horcoff - Petrell
Paajarvi - Belanger - Hartikainen

Smyth, Horcoff, Petrell and Belanger are on the PK.

Hartikainen is on the PP.

Eager is on neither, and isn't necessary for defending or scoring. Basically he would take Paajarvi's position. But he's not faster than Paajarvi so what exactly is Eager adding to the lineup and who is he supposed to replace in the lineup?

He would replace Paajarvi, like you said. As of right now we have a slow and fairly soft bottom 6.

Clearly you don't like Eager, but if you look at this critically he is an upgrade over Paajarvi on the fourth line. He's more of a physical presence which we lack right now outside of Hartikanen.

JMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eager dealt with back problems and a concussion. There was no reason not to give him a chance after a long layoff.

Other than that several other clubs have found him to be expendable and in most instances not able, or willing, to perform his assigned role?

Other than Chicago when his Eager even been arguably useful?

Plus WTF is somebody with ongoing concussion problems and supposed back injuries doing drinking and getting into a fight in a bar in the offseason? That sounds completely sensible..:sarcasm:

I would cut bait with an undisciplined jackass like this in an instant.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He would replace Paajarvi, like you said. As of right now we have a slow and fairly soft bottom 6.

Clearly you don't like Eager, but if you look at this critically he is an upgrade over Paajarvi on the fourth line. He's more of a physical presence which we lack right now outside of Hartikanen.

JMO.
A physical presence without using it isn't awfully helpful. Hordi had more hits than Eager last season in a fraction of minutes. I believe Gagner had more fights. Unless we count bar fights and with inanimate objects..:D

ps The hd camera won.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Eager stays healthy (a huge if) I predict he makes his detractors eat their words this season. He's EXACTLY what the Oilers need in the bottom 6 and they really have no other forward with that level of crazy in him who can also play the game.

I agree with the poster who said he was likely going to have a solid season under Krueger. Eager is somewhat of a headcase (like Hemsky and Whitney). I think it takes a special coach to get the most out of those types of players and Krueger is probably one of the most qualified to achieve that.

Whitney and Eager both are dealing with potentially career-ending injury issues + I think they both have some entitlement issues... a tough combo to coach.

Hemsky is such a lone wolf at the best of times and now he's basically playing 5th fiddle offensively on the team whereas in the past he was the solo elite player the Oilers had. That's something that takes time to wrap his ego around as well and a coach who understands the psychology behind that type of role change is invaluable.

Summary: Eager has issues and so do several other Oilers and Krueger is going to have a Freudian type year on the bench to get the most of these types of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->