Injury Report: Eager concussed

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I can't imagine it's severe concussion. Maybe they're playing it safe and ensuring he's fully healthy.

While I'd love it if you were right, concussions are just such a wildcard injury that it's impossible to tell. Kassian really only tagged Eager solidly once, right at the start of the fight, so I assume that's where he got it, but it's also concerning because that's all it took was one solid punch.

And that's not even taking into account his pre-existing concussion history.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
While I'd love it if you were right, concussions are just such a wildcard injury that it's impossible to tell. Kassian really only tagged Eager solidly once, right at the start of the fight, so I assume that's where he got it, but it's also concerning because that's all it took was one solid punch.

Well anyone can get concussed if they get hit in the right spot with the right velocity. Hopefully it's a very mild concussion and the symptoms go away quickly.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
eager-kassian.jpg

Ouch

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
A very large sack of potatoes could be 240lbs. Since when does excessive weight have much to do with hockey?

I'm going to say he's a bust which I stated the moment we obtained him. I wonder who has been right to this point and all along.

You really want to argue this or who is on the money with this and who's talking crap?

This is a guy thats had several concussions, off the ice issues, on the ice issues, huge troubles with consistency, focus, throughout his career, that has been in and out of teams and that has not one redeemable stat or reason a team should want to invest heavily in him.

What one thing, anything, does Eager do well? I'll wait for the answer.

He has been a bust as you say, I think with maturity he could become very effective. Looks like concussions are getting in the way of any hope.

one thing he does well ?? 240 lb sack of potatoes that can skate as fast as MPS, can you name me players that size in the NHL that can do that ?? that's such a rare breed of talent it's not even funny.

I like Eager for this special talent and hope he can build and develop it to become a good hockey player. It's too bad about the concussions.

Bob Probert had a lot of the same on ice/off ice issues. He was a different type of player but maybe the concussions are the common denominator which causes some of this bad behaviour. Lets also remember that tough guys have a difficult job.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He has been a bust as you say, I think with maturity he could become very effective. Looks like concussions are getting in the way of any hope.

one thing he does well ?? 240 lb sack of potatoes that can skate as fast as MPS, can you name me players that size in the NHL that can do that ?? that's such a rare breed of talent it's not even funny.

I like Eager for this special talent and hope he can build and develop it to become a good hockey player. It's too bad about the concussions.

Bob Probert had a lot of the same on ice/off ice issues. He was a different type of player but maybe the concussions are the common denominator which causes some of this bad behaviour. Lets also remember that tough guys have a difficult job.

Unfortunately, at 29 he's already finished developping. All we can hope is that he plays every game like it's against the Canucks

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Bob Probert when on was a complete dominating player and in every way was more effective, scarier, and more intense than Eager. Thing about Probert though is you dial up the playoffs and there were series where he was simply the hardest working player on the ice. Something you'll never see with Eager who is near the end of his career.

I'll say it one more time. People like the thought of what Eager could've been. It ain't happening.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Eager has, taking a book out of the MMA lexicon, lost his chin. After a while of getting concussed, and hit in the face, it just starts to become that much easier to get messed up from a hit or punch. I really think Ben is getting to the end of the line for his career.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Eager has, taking a book out of the MMA lexicon, lost his chin. After a while of getting concussed, and hit in the face, it just starts to become that much easier to get messed up from a hit or punch. I really think Ben is getting to the end of the line for his career.

sadly after this concussion he has no room on the team... Oilers or any other team cannot dress a checker\enforcer with a soft melon coming off a concussion...
With the style of play he is expected to play.. his career is pretty much done

There is no way he draws in before Hordi or a random AHLer

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
sadly after this concussion he has no room on the team... Oilers or any other team cannot dress a checker\enforcer with a soft melon coming off a concussion...
With the style of play he is expected to play.. his career is pretty much done

There is no way he draws in before Hordi or a random AHLer

Honestly, if they could teach Hartikainen to finish his checks (I hope Kreuger tore a strip off him after he let up on Doughty last night) he could be most of what we need Eager to be as a forward. Although, we still wouldn't have any forwards outside of Gagner pretty much that would be willing to drop the gloves. Hordi is ok, but you need to limit his icetime so much, because he really isn't a good hockey player.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It's a shame Eager is concussed. Under Krueger I think Eager was going to be dynamite, and I think he would have been a physical force against Calgary on saturday. Hopefully we dress Hordi and he beats down Glencross.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
As per @Bob_Stauffer, Ryan Jones and Ben Eager skating in non-contact practice jerseys prior to #Oilers Morning Skate

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
As per @Bob_Stauffer, Ryan Jones and Ben Eager skating in non-contact practice jerseys prior to #Oilers Morning Skate

IMO we need Eager far more than Jones right now assuming that Eager will play anything like he did in his first and only game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he'll be gunshy for the rest of the season. I'll take a one-eyed Jonesy over a mushy melloned Eager any day.

If he is gun shy then he'll lose his roster spot, really that simple. Eager will be given a chance, but if all he does is skate around trying to stick check guys he'll be done.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm not sure we need Eager at all. We certainly don't need BOTH Eager and Hordichuk. At least Jones gives you meaningfull ES minutes and can also play on special teams. Eager and Hordichuk are little more than big bodies.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
IMO we need Eager far more than Jones right now assuming that Eager will play anything like he did in his first and only game.

I don't know about that, I think we miss Jones quick strike offense in the bottom six.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not sure we need Eager at all. We certainly don't need BOTH Eager and Hordichuk. At least Jones gives you meaningfull ES minutes and can also play on special teams. Eager and Hordichuk are little more than big bodies.

We never needed both Eager and Hordi in the first place. I do however think if playing at their best, Eager brings more and can be used for 10 minutes a night.

Whether or not Eager can get to the level that I think he can is another question.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know about that, I think we miss Jones quick strike offense in the bottom six.

I agree, that and with guys being banged up having another vet that is very solid on the PK is always a good thing.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We never needed both Eager and Hordi in the first place. I do however think if playing at their best, Eager brings more and can be used for 10 minutes a night.

Whether or not Eager can get to the level that I think he can is another question.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely put Eager in over Hordichuk. I also thought Eager had a pretty good game against Vancouver in the season opener. I'd just rather have players who can do more than just hit and fight. Hartikainen is bigger than both of them and can actually play hockey. Petrell hits and also kills penalties. Sitting one of them for one of our goons just makes no sense if you can avoid it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I'd even go as far as to say that Hordichuk isn't even a big body. He seems to injure himself far worse that his intended recipients.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
for sure eager is more useful than Hordichuk... hordi just run around out there like a canon... eager would be a great player if he just stick to playing hockey...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If he is gun shy then he'll lose his roster spot, really that simple. Eager will be given a chance, but if all he does is skate around trying to stick check guys he'll be done.

If this was the case he would've lost his roster spot last season when he was useless.

On any other club he would've been gone. That we have a dearth of physical forwards is the only reason this already established bust is even signed.

Not holding out any hope that Ben Eager resurrects his spent career.

Good thing he spent the offseason *training* with bar fights though..thats a step up from punching out inanimate hd cameras.

Ben Eager belongs as a SNL skit. Or a Goon II sideline story, if only he was even capable as a goon.

Next, no, just give the roster spot to an actual competing hockey player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
for sure eager is more useful than Hordichuk... hordi just run around out there like a canon... eager would be a great player if he just stick to playing hockey...

Translation:

Hordi had more fights, more hits, more intensity, more impact on games and opponents in a fraction of the minutes afforded Eager last season but somehow Ben was more useful, in some fashion that nobody has mentioned yet.

"Eager would be a great player" if he wasn't anything like Ben Eager and if he had Sidney Crosbys arms grafted on.

and a brain transplant, Say Phil Esposito.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->