Dzingel (Alarm) Bells

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think he has any real loyality to the Senators. I could see him wanting to play for a team in the US.
I think he will not sign with the Senators they are better to trade him if they can. He could get a better deal and maybe be in a city closer to his hometown.
I am not necessarily disagreeing, but what are you basing this statement on ?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you’ve played before, you’d know that getting close to a player can cause turnovers in itself because you’re pressuring him to make a quick decision. And that decision has to be very quick since Dzingel can close the gap pretty damn quick. I’ve seen him cause multiple turnovers.

At the end of the day there’s no way he’s re-signed while Ryan/Smith are still on the team. If we unload one or both of those guys I can see him staying. Looks like he’s part of the group with the young guys and seems to be close with Tierney too from what I’ve seen.
Not only the taking away of time and space from puck pursuit, straight up just winning foot races is what Dzingel does best. He just beats D to loose pucks. He doesnt have to battle anyone in the corner when he's literally faster than nearly every defenseman in the entire world besides a handful. I can't even count how many times he's beaten icing calls since he's entered the league but it's probably more than any other player besides Connor McDavid, Marchand or Kapenen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was all onboard with trading him this summer but he's been solid enough that I wouldn't mind holding on to him now as long as the money/term isn't too intense.

Unfortunately he's likely be able to get good money and term on the open market, he'd be foolish to pass the opportunity up. I expect a teams like LA or Edmonton to want exactly what he is: speedy winger with good but not great (ie expensive) offense.

Trading him now would be silly, he's not going to return much (pending UFA) and if we have a shot at the playoffs, and we might, we need all the help we can get.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think he cheats any more than most guys on the team. Not to the point, I take huge issue with especially when he's contributing at a 30+ goal pace. He'd be an especially effective defensive player if we didn't play such a passive collapsing style and actually attacked puck carriers in the D zone. That would really help him and the other quick players on the team but Boucher gonna Boucher.

I'm totally fine with trading him when I know Melnyk wont shell out to keep his talents. I just don't feel the need to dump on every skill player the second they're due money.
He is not going to score 30+ goals, last year he was 82nd in goals and 176th or something like that in points. He is not worth anymore than Paul Byron plus inflation. 4 x 3.75M maybe 4M. If he gets anywhere near 30 goals I'll eat crow but I feel pretty confident he will be around 20 with a high of 25 if everything goes great.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd rather keep Dzingel LW & move Boedker LW at some point. Formenton can replace Boedker on the team next yr or Chlapik can replace him this yr.

Reactions: h2owned

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He has 11 already, so he's on pace for about 35 in an 82 game season right now.

Pace is pace. It's still pretty early in the season. I don't doubt he sets a career high this season but he's going to hit a ten game stretch where he doesn't score a goal and a 30 goal pace is going to be a distant memory. It's just the type of player he is. He's not constantly in the play enough to be a consistent scorer. He's great in transition but he's not engaged enough to be a consistent threat.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Not only the taking away of time and space from puck pursuit, straight up just winning foot races is what Dzingel does best. He just beats D to loose pucks. He doesnt have to battle anyone in the corner when he's literally faster than nearly every defenseman in the entire world besides a handful. I can't even count how many times he's beaten icing calls since he's entered the league but it's probably more than any other player besides Connor McDavid, Marchand or Kapenen.

Yes he has to battle people in the corners - in our zone and in theirs. So when he beats an icing - he still has to fight for the puck. He has 9 measly takeaways this year - with his speed, its not enough. Lots of people have speed but don't use it properly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pace is pace. It's still pretty early in the season. I don't doubt he sets a career high this season but he's going to hit a ten game stretch where he doesn't score a goal and a 30 goal pace is going to be a distant memory. It's just the type of player he is. He's not constantly in the play enough to be a consistent scorer. He's great in transition but he's not engaged enough to be a consistent threat.
Could be the case for sure, just pointing out that it wasn't an insane suggestion considering he's actually on pace for more than 30.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'd rather keep Dzingel LW & move Boedker LW at some point. Formenton can replace Boedker on the team next yr or Chlapik can replace him this yr.

Would much rather trade Ryan. If he puts up 50 points this season and we retain some salary, I think it would be possible this summer. There would be only 3 years remaining on his contract, and that would be more than enough money to re-sign Dzinger even with retention. Maybe to New Jersey? Seems like a good fit on and off the ice.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Could be the case for sure, just pointing out that it wasn't an insane suggestion considering he's actually on pace for more than 30.

Not insane, but highly unlikely - I think ceiling is 25 goals. Worth a 1st at the dealine for sure from someone. Best bet to get PD at least that.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Would much rather trade Ryan. If he puts up 50 points this season and we retain some salary, I think it would be possible this summer. There would be only 3 years remaining on his contract, and that would be more than enough money to re-sign Dzinger even with retention. Maybe to New Jersey? Seems like a good fit on and off the ice.
I still think Ryan is a negative asset at this point, so we would probably have to add something to get a team to take him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not insane, but highly unlikely - I think ceiling is 25 goals. Worth a 1st at the dealine for sure from someone. Best bet to get PD at least that.
Eh. What's the difference there? One hot week could make him a 30 goal guy instead of 25, just like a bad couple weeks or a month or whatever and he could get stuck at 20. Either way, he can score in the 20-30 range.

Edit: Similar to Mike Hoffman, or many others. One year the Hoff is a 29 goal scorer, then he's a 22 goal scorer and now he could get closer to 40 in Florida. A hot stretch or two can be all it takes to bust through your ceiling.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think he cheats any more than most guys on the team.

I'll never forget the game against Tampa last year when Gourde and Dinzgel had matching minors. As their penalties expired there was a puck battle infront of the penalty boxes. Gourde enagned in the battle, Dzingel moved away towards the TB blueline. 20 seconds later Gourde is celebrating the goal he scored.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dzingel never more than 41 points...that was last year w 23 goals. This year will get perhaps 20- 25 with at most 20 assists. Has 16 giveaways and 9 takeaways and is -7...19 hits...Bobby Ryan w 29...not willing to pay $5 million a year for that production and type of play. Not w Sens budget.

Well he is on pace for way more points than that so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion unless you are pushing an agenda which you clearly are. Secondly he has improved his point total every season he has played in the NHL. So yeah I really find it hard to take your opinion on the player seriously.

Reactions: BondraTime

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am not necessarily disagreeing, but what are you basing this statement on ?

I already asked him he has nothing to base it on and it really doesnt make any sense considering the following. The sens drafted him in the 7th round and developed him into a top 6 forward that is going to be a multi millionaire. Typically these types of situations you find a very loyal player.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes he has to battle people in the corners - in our zone and in theirs. So when he beats an icing - he still has to fight for the puck. He has 9 measly takeaways this year - with his speed, its not enough. Lots of people have speed but don't use it properly.
You understand that outskating a guy to a loose puck doesn't count as a takeaway, right?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He needs to go, but knowing Dorion he'll actually end up overpaying him on a long-term, albatross of a contract. Book it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He needs to go, but knowing Dorion he'll actually end up overpaying him on a long-term, albatross of a contract. Book it.
Why does he need to go? I thought guys like you are always complaining that Ottawa doesn't have enough speed & now you want to give away one of their fastest players? Speed & skill, isn't that what you are always talking about & how big tough forwards are in the past? What's changed? They have a few players who should be shipped out before Dzingel including Boedker.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Why does he need to go? I thought guys like you are always complaining that Ottawa doesn't have enough speed & now you want to give away one of their fastest players? Speed & skill, isn't that what you are always talking about & how big tough forwards are in the past? What's changed? They have a few players who should be shipped out before Dzingel including Boedker.

Guys like me don't just look at one dimension and base our opinion on that.

But I guess that's something you wouldn't understand.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If you think he is simply one dimensional that's probably your first issue. His speed allows him to put pressure on the puck carrier while beating other guys to loose pucks if you dont see the value in this on top of his skill and scoring ability I am not sure what you are watching. The entire NHL is going all speed and you said 'he needs to go' on a team that has very little top end talent and elite speed. It really makes no sense at all.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I would understand easily enough, however, I may not agree. But why move him off the team, what are your reasons? And why are you being condescending, I didn't say anything ignorant to you, I was simply asking a question? Merci la.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I would understand easily enough, however, I may not agree. But why move him off the team, what are your reasons? And why are you being condescending, I didn't say anything ignorant to you, I was simply asking a question? Merci la.

You were being condescending by assuming I only like speedy players, so you got a similar reply. Désolé.

If you think he is simply one dimensional that's probably your first issue. His speed allows him to put pressure on the puck carrier while beating other guys to loose pucks if you dont see the value in this on top of his skill and scoring ability I am not sure what you are watching. The entire NHL is going all speed and you said 'he needs to go' on a team that has very little top end talent and elite speed. It really makes no sense at all.

I do think he is one-dimensional, and that one dimension isn't strong enough to justify giving him $5M+, which is what he'll get one way or another.

I'd be ok with keeping him if we were a cap team, and if he took a "hometown" discount, but I feel like as we stand right now, and with him having a good season, that we would benefit more from trading him for help on D or perhaps some high draft picks.

He's a good player, but to say he has "top end talent" is pushing it.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Well he is on pace for way more points than that so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion unless you are pushing an agenda which you clearly are. Secondly he has improved his point total every season he has played in the NHL. So yeah I really find it hard to take your opinion on the player seriously.

Agenda - good asset management. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad