Dzingel (Alarm) Bells

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bert said "as a forward you are either a rusher or a crusher; if you aren't going to do either you'll end up an usher." Good one Bert.

Reactions: topshelf15

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Its just all so blatant. The Mark Stone hits will be coming soon enough. It's a coping mechanism but I think there's also an agenda being pushed here in a lot of cases.

Not really. People have different opinions of players. I’ve never been a fan so I’ll be damned if I’m told it’s just a coping mechanism becuase we have different views.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dzingel is a one-dimensional player. Inattentive defensively, weak on the boards, loses most of his battles, doesn't engage.

He can be good on the backcheck when he moves his feet, but for the most part his value is solely defined by his contributions with the puck on his stick.

If he's not scoring he's not helping the team, which is why I'd prefer that we deal him at the deadline for a 1st/2nd instead of locking him long-term.

I can agree with a lot of this, save that I have seen him be more attentive to his defensive responsibilities in the past. Even as marginal as they may be.

Still, when assembling a team, you need a little bit of variety and he does bring something different to the mix. I hope they sign him. If this were a normal team with a normal owner, 5 yr -25M should be a pretty simple deal to make.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
ok.

So you are you saying that you don't see him cheat and bail on plays? If you don't, that is perfectly fine.

Some do, and it doesn't always have to have an ulterior motive. I like Dzingel and hope he re-signs. Doesn't mean I am happy lately with his play.
I don't think he cheats any more than most guys on the team. Not to the point, I take huge issue with especially when he's contributing at a 30+ goal pace. He'd be an especially effective defensive player if we didn't play such a passive collapsing style and actually attacked puck carriers in the D zone. That would really help him and the other quick players on the team but Boucher gonna Boucher.

I'm totally fine with trading him when I know Melnyk wont shell out to keep his talents. I just don't feel the need to dump on every skill player the second they're due money.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Not really. People have different opinions of players. I’ve never been a fan so I’ll be damned if I’m told it’s just a coping mechanism becuase we have different views.
Yeah what a cop out to suggest it’s character assansiation or having an agenda. I personally don’t mind Dzingel but not for the price he will probably get, especially when we have a bigger need on defense. He’ll probably get around 50 points this year and I see others in the system who will be better in a few years.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Time for the character assassination of another player on their way out the door. Like clockwork.

Come on now...i have watched most games attentively this year. What you see is what you get...no character assassination - just observations on his play to date. So easy to say "character assassination"...just like someone calling you a racist for liking vanilla ice cream. Sheesh.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
I don't think he cheats any more than most guys on the team. Not to the point, I take huge issue with especially when he's contributing at a 30+ goal pace. He'd be an especially effective defensive player if we didn't play such a passive collapsing style and actually attacked puck carriers in the D zone. That would really help him and the other quick players on the team but Boucher gonna Boucher.

I'm totally fine with trading him when I know Melnyk wont shell out to keep his talents. I just don't feel the need to dump on every skill player the second they're due money.

Allocation of resources is a HUGE issue with this team. We have been burned so often by overpaying for marginal players - Ceci and Z. Smith case in point. Don't want to make the same mistake w Dzingel. His scoring and point production will be replaced by youths coming up the system.

Reactions: Crosside

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Allocation of resources is a HUGE issue with this team. We have been burned so often by overpaying for marginal players - Ceci and Z. Smith case in point. Don't want to make the same mistake w Dzingel. His scoring and point production will be replaced by youths coming up the system.
I wouldn't really say you're making a great case by presenting Ceci and Smith. Those guys were bad players for yesrs before they were signed and continued to get worse. Dzingel has been getting better and better. That's why he's on pace for 30+ goals and 60 points. He's proven he's a solid top 6 contributor.

He can be replaced. But saying stuff like "he's constantly cheating" and he's "not making plays" is pretty inaccurate. Like so inaccurate one must have an angle.

Reactions: Gesus

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
I wouldn't really say you're making a great case by presenting Ceci and Smith. Those guys were bad players for yesrs before they were signed and continued to get worse. Dzingel has been getting better and better. That's why he's on pace for 30+ goals and 60 points. He's proven he's a solid top 6 contributor.

He can be replaced. But saying stuff like "he's constantly cheating" and he's "not making plays" is pretty inaccurate. Like so inaccurate one must have an angle.

Watch him closely tonite, without your tin foil conspiracy hat on.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, not my intent. Strictly speaking hockey-wise is my issue.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Dzingel never more than 41 points...that was last year w 23 goals. This year will get perhaps 20- 25 with at most 20 assists. Has 16 giveaways and 9 takeaways and is -7...19 hits...Bobby Ryan w 29...not willing to pay $5 million a year for that production and type of play. Not w Sens budget.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The problem Dzingel has is that the Sens have a direct replacement for him next year. You can plug Formenton in the top 9, and reasonably expect to get 15-15-30 from him, which would be 50%-75% of Dzingel's production this year. Plus more physical play, and penalty killing to boot. All for a million bucks, compared to Dzingel's 4-5 million on his next contract.

It just makes way too much sense to ship out Dzingel, put Formenton in your top 9, and use the savings to resign the big two.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we were a cap team, I've seen enough to say sign him up.

Since we're not anything close to that, I think we have to move him. The deal has too much potential to burn us with our limited funds available.

Came in here to say this. It would be nice to keep him, but given where the team is at financially I'd rather have the money to sign Stone/Duchene and go out and get a real top-four defenceman. It's not ideal, but I'd be okay with rolling Tkachuk, Formenton, Boedkker/Balcers and Smith at LW next year.

I'm probably a little lower on Formenton than most around here, but I can think he can do half the job for 1/5th of the price if put in a similar role.

Reactions: Crosside

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Never been a fan of Dzingel.

He's the type of guy that's nice to have because he can provide some depth scoring, or can play with more skilled players as a complimentary guy but he's not a player you want to lock in long term, especially when you're on a budget. Like other have said I think he can easily be replaced internally by guys like Formenton, Chlapik or Balcers. If it was me I'd try Chlapik with Duchene and Batherson and give them easy matchups when Pageau comes back.

When the game gets tighter he becomes invisible unless you can send him on a breakaway. He doesn't thrive in physical games either and his board work is simply bad.

I would deal him at the deadline or before for picks/prospects or if we could get a defensemen I would do that. Pageau will be back soon enough and we'll be able to slot White or Tierney on the wing to replace him. For what it's worth I think him and Boedker are on a very similar level. Dzingel is faster so is often 1 on 1 against the goalie and scores more because of that while Boedker is a better all around player.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Came in here to say this. It would be nice to keep him, but given where the team is at financially I'd rather have the money to sign Stone/Duchene and go out and get a real top-four defenceman. It's not ideal, but I'd be okay with rolling Tkachuk, Formenton, Boedkker/Balcers and Smith at LW next year.

I'm probably a little lower on Formenton than most around here, but I can think he can do half the job for 1/5th of the price if put in a similar role.
Yup. Budget budget budget.

If the rumours of having to shed Ceci just to fit a Duchene and/or Stone contract are true, then it's probably safe to assume Dzingel won't be able to be kept either.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Will this be like Hoffman all over again? Send him packing and watch him play even better with his new team.

Seems very possible. Too bad because he’s better defensively than Hoffman and he’s really good on the forecheck.

Reactions: Gesus

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
Seems very possible. Too bad because he’s better defensively than Hoffman and he’s really good on the forecheck.

Disagree. Good on forecheck? He skates to get close then turns. Does not disrupt or hit to make the play and get the turnover or takeaway. Misspent energy. Watch him tonite.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dzingel never more than 41 points...that was last year w 23 goals. This year will get perhaps 20- 25 with at most 20 assists. Has 16 giveaways and 9 takeaways and is -7...19 hits...Bobby Ryan w 29...not willing to pay $5 million a year for that production and type of play. Not w Sens budget.
23 goals, to lead the team. 41 points in his second full year in the NHL. You really think he's gonna get 45 or less points this year? I'll easily take that bet.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading him for a 2nd+ (or maybe even a late 1st+ if he maintains his 30G pace) and putting the 4-5M he'll get on his next contract towards the defense is a no brainer.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Disagree. Good on forecheck? He skates to get close then turns. Does not disrupt or hit to make the play and get the turnover or takeaway. Misspent energy. Watch him tonite.

If you’ve played before, you’d know that getting close to a player can cause turnovers in itself because you’re pressuring him to make a quick decision. And that decision has to be very quick since Dzingel can close the gap pretty damn quick. I’ve seen him cause multiple turnovers.

At the end of the day there’s no way he’s re-signed while Ryan/Smith are still on the team. If we unload one or both of those guys I can see him staying. Looks like he’s part of the group with the young guys and seems to be close with Tierney too from what I’ve seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad