Dzingel (Alarm) Bells

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can go either way with Dzingel, while he is posting some decent numbers I'm not sure they should spend the money he may demand especially when they will have Formenton next season. If he would take $4 or $4.5 over 3 yrs than maybe but I imagine his agent may think he deserves over $5 & maybe they are right. But if that is the case should Ottawa over pay to keep him in Ottawa when the possibility is that Formenton might be a better player sooner than it has taken Dzingel to put up these pts. And if the team isn't going anywhere for at least another yr or two than why waste the money on him? Maybe this is the time to move Dzingel & get the assets & continue to build towards the future.

The same argument can be applied to Ceci, clearly not a fan favourite on these boards & rather than spend the money to re-sign him maybe it's better to collect whatever we can for him to improve the team. However, if they do move these two guys it should be for a very good young prospects with a certain amount of potential, can't fail types or very high assets returning. I think Ottawa has plenty of centres & should be very strong down the middle in future but lack elite scoring wingers & at least one big elite top pairing right shot D, a Seth Jones RD type of player.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No one drove Hoffman away except maybe EK forced PD to trade him in order to keep him. That turned out to be a very bad play on PD's part since EK did not re-sign & hence, he lost two offensive players.

They also don't re-up the grinders, there has been plenty of grinders moved from this team over the yrs, in fact, more so than the offensive players. If Dzingel gets moved it will be because of the owner & money again or they are trying to stock pile assets for the future. It could be they are playing a longer game & have no intention of contending for a playoff berth this yr or next.
Yup, both Hoffman and Karlsson driven away for peanuts on the dollar. Now we're faced with possibly losing our three best forwards in the same season and I'm sure they'll be thrown under the bus too.

Grinders can be replaced with role players in that context then and of course they've also shipped many out over the years because they're a dime a dozen, but contracts like the ones given to Smith, Ceci, Condon, Anderson, Pyatt, Pageau, Greening, Michalek, etc. are the types of players we should replace with ELC's and cheap vets if we're this broke, not star players. Pay your stars, ditch the fringe ones if it comes to it is how I feel. It leaves you with a lot of holes, but it at least gives you names you can sell to fill your stadium while still having some star power you desperately need to go anywhere in this league.

Our financial situation will always stand in the way of sustained success no matter the strategy, but they can still allocate their money so much better than they have imo. My strategy is paying the guys like Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone & Duchene that really deserve it and filling everything around them cheaply. Dorion and Melnyk seem to prefer going halfway and handing out a bunch of short term medium value contracts to non-star players, while having to trade much more important players.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
As an outside fan (Sabres) I wonder if he would fit in Buffalo as a UFA acquisition. Is he capable of playing center? That’s what I’ve seen him listed as. Also, as I’ve seen many saying, he looks like a strictly offensive option. Is that true as well?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
As an outside fan (Sabres) I wonder if he would fit in Buffalo as a UFA acquisition. Is he capable of playing center? That’s what I’ve seen him listed as. Also, as I’ve seen many saying, he looks like a strictly offensive option. Is that true as well?
I’ve never seen him play center in the NHL so no he isn’t capable of being a center. Yes, he is strictly an offensive weapon. He’ll bring speed to your top 6 and has a good skill set but he is a little soft and isn’t particularly great defensively.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
personally i hope he is going to have a good season so we get something for him at the deadline. 26 year old winger that gets close to 30 goals could probably net a 1st or a young defenseman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We’re not letting him get to free agency lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
personally i hope he is going to have a good season so we get something for him at the deadline. 26 year old winger that gets close to 30 goals could probably net a 1st or a young defenseman.
Lol. Our GM is Pierre dorion. He literally gets cap dumps and ultra late picks for these types

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

He played centre in college but has not played centre since he turned pro, I also don't recall him ever playing centre in the AHL. He is the secondary option for faceoffs on his line usually when the centre gets kicked out of the faceoff circle. He could probably play it in the NHL, but Ottawa has primarily used him as a winger.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Personally not the type of player I want on my team, especially Dzingel who doesn’t generate offence at nearly a good enough rate to be given slack for his absent defensive play. But hey only blame the same players over and over for simply being on the ice at the time something goes wrong, and everything will be fine when there gone I guess.
Interesting that Dzingel isn’t a player you’d want on your team. Is Cody Ceci the type of player you’d want?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Interesting that Dzingel isn’t a player you’d want on your team. Is Cody Ceci the type of player you’d want?

Not really. I’ve had my issues with Ceci, I’ve never been shy about sharing them going back to his rookie season, I’ve said many times I wouldn’t mind seeing him go else where. Though I don’t feel the need to laugh at him when he fans on a shot like some do or blame him for simply being on the ice. I will say I think it will be easier for the team to replace Dzingel than Ceci going forward.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I can go either way with Dzingel, while he is posting some decent numbers I'm not sure they should spend the money he may demand especially when they will have Formenton next season.

But at the same time Dzingel is posting very solid 1st line forward numbers, and Formentons junior production so far is much more indicative of a third liners production. The future is not easy to predict, but thinking that an OHL player putting up simply OK numbers for an NHL prospect can come in and provide first line support next year is a very iffy way to go.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But at the same time Dzingel is posting very solid 1st line forward numbers, and Formentons junior production so far is much more indicative of a third liners production. The future is not easy to predict, but thinking that an OHL player putting up simply OK numbers for an NHL prospect can come in and provide first line support next year is a very iffy way to go.
Formenton would replace his roster spot, not his place in the lineup, it's much more likely that Tkachuk is a top line player. I would prefer to keep Dzingel if possible but if they can't they will need to find another top 6 LWer. Chlapik is another guy who might be elevated who can play centre or LW.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
These are the guys I think should be replaced over the next two yrs.

Pyatt, Paajarvi. Boedker, Tierny, Condon, Anderson, Boro, Pageau, Smith, DeMello, McCormick & Ceci.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
These are the guys I think should be replaced over the next two yrs.

Pyatt, Paajarvi. Boedker, Tierny, Condon, Anderson, Boro, Pageau, Smith, DeMello, McCormick & Ceci.

Not sure why you mention these two, Pageau is one of the better bottom 6 players in the league and Demelo is at worst an excellent 3rd pairing D, has looked like a decent #4D this year. Tierney is alright but if you can sel high then do it, but he’s not someone who needs to go and he’s not a bad 3C. Agree with rest

Reactions: NB613

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
boucher should play him in the top 6. he'll get more points which will inflate his value. if he keeps this up could definitely get a late first. don't see us resigning him if they are able to sign stone/duchene. if he get's 30 goals he would easily get 5.5+ on the market and there is no way we would match that so I think he is the most likely to be moved.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
boucher should play him in the top 6. he'll get more points which will inflate his value. if he keeps this up could definitely get a late first. don't see us resigning him if they are able to sign stone/duchene. if he get's 30 goals he would easily get 5.5+ on the market and there is no way we would match that so I think he is the most likely to be moved.
He has been playing in the top 6, hasn't he? He's also been getting a lot of PP time.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
He has been playing in the top 6, hasn't he? He's also been getting a lot of PP time.

pp time yes. but he seems to be switching between top 6 and bottom 6. last couple games I think he was playing with smith and someone else on the wing. tonight with smith and paajarvi.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Great feature on Dzingels two way play on TSN.

It was pretty brief and being strong both ways requires more than a strong back check. Guy can skate like the wind, I dont think anyone has ever questioned that. It's when he has to use his head rather than his feet that raises questions.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
pp time yes. but he seems to be switching between top 6 and bottom 6. last couple games I think he was playing with smith and someone else on the wing. tonight with smith and paajarvi.

that's due to Duchene being out and trying to keep the white stone chucky line intact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad