Dysfunction in Calgary?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A full rebuild isnt smart. This is probably just a rough patch for the team, and if they hold fast and maybe make a few tweaks here and there, such as a new coach, theyll be back on track.

A panic sell off with drastic moves would make them worse off in the long run (as much as I'd like it from an Oilers POV). JG is a top 15-20 forward in the NHL, so any trade involving him they will lose as they give up the best player.

The only smart trade I think they should make is to trade Monahan. He benefits a ton from JG and there might still be the thought out there he is a two way forward. Maybe they could capitalize onthat right now

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As a fan and season ticket holder I would be open to bringing in Babcock as head coach and DeAngelo to shore up the D ...
If the team really wanted Babcock, they could get him for like half price through the 2022-23 season since Toronto would still be on the hook for some of the contract.

Edit: kinda forgot he's going to the UofS for next season. Maybe the year after that he'd return to the NHL.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
This season seems especially hard to look for deep troubles on teams now - one good week for them and another bad for another could change the subject of this thread.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
When I watch them (against the Oilers), they seem to be more interested in winning the physical battle than the scoreboard battle. They're a very well balanced team just need to increase the effort and play hockey!
I predicted that they would finish 3rd in the division. I will stand by my pick.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Tbh, if it comes down to it Gaudreau is way harder of a talent to acquire than Tkachuk.

Thats just so wrong it hurts, and I hope Im missing the sarcasm here.

The only other similar players to him are Marchand (more pesky/less physical). And another guy named Tkachuk lol. 1st line PWFs are as rare as they come in todays market.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tbh, if it comes down to it Gaudreau is way harder of a talent to acquire than Tkachuk.

I think this is also a hard truth. Fans will love MT because hes a hard nosed, balls to the wall player (I would love him on my team). But realistically hes a 55-60 point guy who appears to have one great season, likely due to inflated puck luck. These guys, while nice pieces to have, are more abundant. MT is maybe the most well known because hes so controversial, but his skill set is not exclusive

JG on the other hand, does things few forwards can, and drives offense with top tier ability.

If the dysfunction was due to MT and JG butting heads, I think a JG trade makes them worse off

Reactions: User1996

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I think this is also a hard truth. Fans will love MT because hes a hard nosed, balls to the wall player (I would love him on my team). But realistically hes a 55-60 point guy who appears to have one great season, likely due to inflated puck luck. These guys, while nice pieces to have, are more abundant. MT is maybe the most well known because hes so controversial, but his skill set is not exclusive

JG on the other hand, does things few forwards can, and drives offense with top tier ability.

If the dysfunction was due to MT and JG butting heads, I think a JG trade makes them worse off
I guess it depends on where you see Tkachuk's career going. I anticipate him being a 70+ point player most years that is capable of drawing alot of penalties and getting other teams off their game. If the game gets physical Tkachuk thrives and Johnny tends to shrink away.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I guess it depends on where you see Tkachuk's career going. I anticipate him being a 70+ point player most years that is capable of drawing alot of penalties and getting other teams off their game. If the game gets physical Tkachuk thrives and Johnny tends to shrink away.

I think that is more myth than fact at this point. Tkachuk seems like the type of player that would do well when games get more physical, but his track record in the playoffs would say otherwise. I remember him looking just dominant in Game 1 of the Avs series, he was perfectly happy being the chippy, aggressive bully. Then Game 2 Zadorov laid him out and he remained pretty quiet from there on out.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think that is more myth than fact at this point. Tkachuk seems like the type of player that would do well when games get more physical, but his track record in the playoffs would say otherwise. I remember him looking just dominant in Game 1 of the Avs series, he was perfectly happy being the chippy, aggressive bully. Then Game 2 Zadorov laid him out and he remained pretty quiet from there on out.

Thats because Tkachuk is a p***y. He’s a talented player and good agitator but once the other team starts getting to physical with him, he disappears.

Reactions: iCanada

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tkachuk is an agitator, not a tough guy. He also works hard and is skilled. Maybe a little too intense which seems to be a source of division within the Flames' locker room. The Flames seem like they are at a crossroads with their team identity. Factions have emerged. There will be some significant player movement. The only question is which faction goes.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Tkachuk isn't the problem. He is playing like crap but it all started after that Toronto game players only meeting.

When Bennett wants out but is one of the most engaged players physically on the ice each game, there is a huge problem.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tkachuk isn't the problem. He is playing like crap but it all started after that Toronto game players only meeting.

When Bennett wants out but is one of the most engaged players physically on the ice each game, there is a huge problem.

It's tough to say who the problem is because noone is in the room. However I think its fair to speculate that if he is voicing his displeasure that other guys are playing his style of game, that can rub off poorly on other players.

There is a difference between playing hard and being a pest. If tkachuk wants to play this soap opera stiff after the whistle and needs guys to back him up when he gets himself into fights, I do not see that jiving well in the room. Nor should it, if you want to act like a bully, you gotta answer the bell. You cant then ask your teammates to jump in Rambo style to save you after every whistle.

He plays a similar game to Marchand, which is great. But Marchand isnt going to Pastrnak demanding he jump in those forays. If that's what Tkachuk is doing to Gaudreau, than that's a huge problem. JGs game is to dominate between the whistles, which he does well

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I admit I have a bias because I'm an Oiler fan. Tkachuk has just been a thorn in our side since day one and often gets the better of us (lookin at you Zack Kassian).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thats because Tkachuk is a p***y. He’s a talented player and good agitator but once the other team starts getting to physical with him, he disappears.
Not remotely true. He fights all the time too. Typically outside of his weight class

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I admit I have a bias because I'm an Oiler fan. Tkachuk has just been a thorn in our side since day one and often gets the better of us (lookin at you Zack Kassian).

He is a guy that I would absolutely love on my team, very talented player that has that grit to his game. Think it would be absolutely hilarious if the Avs got him and paired him with Kadri, other teams would just go bonkers. However, I think it’s more that the Flames don’t seem to be able to play with skill and grit, it almost feels like they will either play with skill OR grit. So then you have games where they are so focused on being tough that they do nothing constructive, and then other games where they have no intensity and are just trying to outskill other teams.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He is a guy that I would absolutely love on my team, very talented player that has that grit to his game. Think it would be absolutely hilarious if the Avs got him and paired him with Kadri, other teams would just go bonkers. However, I think it’s more that the Flames don’t seem to be able to play with skill and grit, it almost feels like they will either play with skill OR grit. So then you have games where they are so focused on being tough that they do nothing constructive, and then other games where they have no intensity and are just trying to outskill other teams.
I'd always hoped that Calgary would have gotten Kadri.

Tkachuk, Bennett, and Kadri would have been pure gold.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I agree 100% with this. Flames fans seem to be souring on the softer guys and JG is likely to test free agency when his contract is up anyways. The Flames had a great roster to be skilled and tough to play against on paper until it all went to shit with Sam Bennett and James Neal not panning out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad