Dysfunction in Calgary?

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Tkachuk cares more than anyone else, gut the team and give it to Tkachuk. I haven't even watched a flames game this year cuz I'm just sick of watching this team.

If Bennett had worked out to a gilmour-style PPG player, monahan to a 30g 2-way beast and if they held on to Adam Fox, this team would be going places, but none of those things happened and it's time to restart instead of 5 miserable years of trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

I agree with this, it's been 5-6 years and the flames have gone no where with this roster, Flames literally have one more year till this window closes.
It's time to restart before we lose even more value on what we have left.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Can not speak for all Oiler fans. But I am amused by how in the post game show, Flames announcer pump the tires of both the Leafs and Jets, but not the team that sits between the two of them

Probably because there is a recognition that the Jets have been playing really well, have a better winning percentage already, and are going to get a whole lot better as Dubois gets himself up to speed again.
That's not to knock the Oilers who are legitimately far better in my mind than I thought they'd be this season without Klefbom.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Tkachuk cares more than anyone else, gut the team and give it to Tkachuk. I haven't even watched a flames game this year cuz I'm just sick of watching this team.

The problem is, until Tkachuk learns to dial back the stupidity, his team is always going to give up on him. People don’t like getting punched in the face for something someone else did.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Calgary media coddles the Flames way too much. (It's the same in Edmonton)

The Leafs absolutely destroyed the Flames everywhere but the scoreboard two games ago and they still paint it as a good game because Rittich stole them a point. Just call a spade a spade.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I will put my 2 cents into what is wrong with Calgary

I have said this for years but if you think Johnny Gaudreau is going to be your top player and you are going to build around him and win then you are sorely mistaken. He isn't a terrible player by any means and he does produce and like someone once told me putting up points means you are scoring and that should mean you can win BUT lets compare him to the top players in the Canadian division

Toronto - Matthews, Big play driving center
Edmonton - McDavid, best center in the world
Winnipeg - Scheifele - Big play driving center

Those are the 3 teams you are chasing and those teams have all elected to build down the middle and those teams will have more success because you are not building around a smallish scoring winger.

Calgary has some pieces. I like Lindholm very good number 2 center. Tkachuk is a feisty scoring winger. Markstrom was a good pickup. You are paying a lot of money for Hanifin and Tanev but they don't drive offense. Andersson is very solid top 4 D. Gio needs a new home IMO. Monahan has fallen off a cliff.

They have invested in this team thinking they can win it all within the next 2 years but trying to do that centering your team around Gaudreau/Monahan isn't going to work IMO

I will say this. They do have the ability to string wins together if they play as a team and play defense first hockey. They could also squeak into the playoffs and beat anyone because Markstrom is that good.

What would I do? I don't know. You went all in so its likely if it doesn't work the GM is gone and that likely means they move on from Gaudreau and Monahan and rebuild

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted user

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I have said this for years but if you think Johnny Gaudreau is going to be your top player and you are going to build around him and win then you are sorely mistaken. He isn't a terrible player by any means and he does produce and like someone once told me putting up points means you are scoring and that should mean you can win BUT lets compare him to the top players in the Canadian division

Toronto - Marner, Big play driving center

Those are the 3 teams you are chasing and those teams have all elected to build down the middle and those teams will have more success because you are not building around a smallish scoring winger.

Calgary has some pieces. I like Lindholm very good number 2 center. Tkachuk is a feisty scoring winger. Markstrom was a good pickup. You are paying a lot of money for Hanifin and Tanev but they don't drive offense. Andersson is very solid top 4 D. Gio needs a new home IMO. Monahan has fallen off a cliff.

They have invested in this team thinking they can win it all within the next 2 years but trying to do that centering your team around Gaudreau/Monahan isn't going to work IMO

I will say this. They do have the ability to string wins together if they play as a team and play defense first hockey. They could also squeak into the playoffs and beat anyone because Markstrom is that good.

What would I do? I don't know. You went all in so its likely if it doesn't work the GM is gone and that likely means they move on from Gaudreau and Monahan and rebuild

Wait a second, did you just call Marner a big play driving center?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Toronto - Marner, Big play driving center

The thing is the flames were never really built around Gaudreau they were built around Giordano. Gio has been propping that team up for years and now he’s declining due to age and the team is declining with him.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

If Bennett had worked out to a gilmour-style PPG player, monahan to a 30g 2-way beast and if they held on to Adam Fox, this team would be going places, but none of those things happened and it's time to restart instead of 5 miserable years of trying to squeeze blood from a stone.
Tkachuk has been one of the worst...

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
The thing is the flames were never really built around Gaudreau they were built around Giordano. Gio has been propping that team up for years and now he’s declining due to age and the team is declining with him.
Calgary's offense runs through Gaudreau, shut him down and the flames can't generate squat...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Its such a cop out to blame the struggles of this team on Gaudreau. 4th round pick does more than our 3 highest drafted players and he took a small cap hit so Trev could bring in top talent to help the team and he brought in Brouwer and Neal. This team's faults are Trevs and its lack luster play come from Trev not being able to find a coach.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Its such a cop out to blame the struggles of this team on Gaudreau. 4th round pick does more than our 3 highest drafted players and he took a small cap hit so Trev could bring in top talent to help the team and he brought in Brouwer and Neal. This team's faults are Trevs and its lack luster play come from Trev not being able to find a coach.
Treviling walked into a rebuild with like 2 bad contracts in Stajan and David Jones.. He really blew it with the Brower and Neal signings and he has traded many picks for bottom 6 players.

TRUST THE PROCESS AM I RIGHT???
7QuYdNr.gif

Reactions: TheHudlinator
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Don't see them rebuilding when they just signed Markstrom. There is still some great pieces on this team, but they're missing that elusive top end C and a good top 6 RW. The team also refuses to go in for a top tier coach.. Peter's was an alright coach and at least a middle of the pack NHL coach. Ward is just amplifying the situation with the way he wants them to play, but at the end of the day they are far from being actual contenders.

Also, a full rebuild isn't some golden ticket. Edmonton and Florida are just turning a corner and they've picked high for a good decade or so and neither are true contenders yet. Buffalo and Phoenix are languishing still. On the flipside you're stuck in purgatory if you don't rebuild... Which is classic Flames hockey since I was born for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00