Dysfunction in Calgary?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Really? Cause when looking at contracts in the league, theyre are sooo many players who get 7million or close to it and don’t do half of what he does, it’s rich but with current contracts in the league paying him less would be a steal.

I can't help but think Tkachuk would be a better player if he didn't do half of what he does too.

Reactions: nturn06

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can not speak for all Oiler fans. But I am amused by how in the post game show, Flames announcer pump the tires of both the Leafs and Jets, but not the team that sits between the two of them

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
I look at different coaches around the league and I do think Calgary could benefit from a new coach.
But Colorado series absolutely broke them a few years ago. Calgary had a belief in themselves and a relentless forecheck. They felt they didn't have enough grit after and all the players spent that entire off season thinking about nothing else, and it ruined them.

Here's the problem i see, and i do have some knowledge direct from the players (i won't say who but any mod that wants to confirm via dm with me can).

The coaches treat different players differently. They let certain players off the hook (Gio) for things that they don't the other players. Flames have a reputation for hard partying too, and i know certain players got a talking to about and and others they let it go and that bothered the room.

You also see it on the ice, Ward's system is different for different players. That means you can't move players up and down the line up very easily, or adjust, and the expectations are different.

Sometimes this can work, putting players in a system they can play in. But the players have no buy in and they hate that the expectations aren't the same for everyone.

I think of Todd Mclellan with the Oilers, he had 1 system, and wanted his bottom 6 to all play like McDavid and they just couldn't. He kept trying to do the square peg round hole thing.

When Tippet came in he preached that every player without the puck has to play a certain way, but on the forecheck left it up to the talent on the ice.
I see Trotz have a similar system. The Islanders play really tight puck support and their goal is to force turnovers. Like when a player is forechecking by themselves against 2 D and everyone hangs back, i see them try to force the pass where they want it to go, not create a turnover right then and there, but probably on the next pass.

So i think the flames would benefit from a coach that expects the same from every player, but I know for that to even haver a hope to work Gio and Monahan will have to go, as they won't buy into any system that doesn't give them special treatment.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
5-1 Ottawa with 14 minutes left. Those were sure gimmie games for Edmonton. Ottawa is a hard working team, they’ll beat anyone if you take them lightly.

Yup......hard work can make up for a lot of issues.

I remember, years ago, when the Flames were a team like that.

They certainly were a lot more fun to watch then!

Calgary has played a lot of bad games lately, the Vancouver game being the one that stands out, but this was a whole other level of suck.

This is a team not interested in playing for each other. Something has to be done.

While I am no fan of Ward, at all, I'm not sure there is a coach out there that can fix this. This needs to be fixed at the GM level.

If that means getting rid of Tre......do it.

I've always said the Flames have never been good enough to go on a run in the playoffs, and never bad enough to get great players. It's been like this for so bloody long........

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Calgary has played a lot of bad games lately, the Vancouver game being the one that stands out, but this was a whole other level of suck.

This is a team not interested in playing for each other. Something has to be done.

While I am no fan of Ward, at all, I'm not sure there is a coach out there that can fix this. This needs to be fixed at the GM level.

I've always said the Flames have never been good enough to go on a run in the playoffs, and never bad enough to get great players. It's been like this for so bloody long........

Calgary signing Vancouver cast offs have driven a wedge in the locker room by the looks of it. Tanev and Markstrom brought some west coast zen into a locker room that is flamboyant with bbq sauce and incompetence.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: TheNumber4

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Like I’ve been saying every off-season since like 2014, neither Calgary being good or not good would surprise me this year.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

Calgary made a mistake of constantly retooling a low level playoff team as opposed to rebuilding. So be it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Would you be okay with trading Monahan, Gaudreau if this continues?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
That series against the Avs a few years ago broke their radio PBP guy, too. He cried on air after they lost. And I mean he literally cried. Real man tears. He apologized for it on air and said he was just too emotional after the Flames were eliminated.

f***ing PATHETIC.

People don’t forget!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Y0u just know Tre has Daryl on speed dial......

.....back to the well!!!

The worst part is, I'd be on board with it.

Daryl probably is just finishing up calving season and is gearing up for seeding!

Maybe Tre can go help him pull a calf and convince him to do something similar with that Flames squad

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That series against the Avs a few years ago broke their radio PBP guy, too. He cried on air after they lost. And I mean he literally cried. Real man tears. He apologized for it on air and said he was just too emotional after the Flames were eliminated.

f***ing PATHETIC.

People don’t forget!

Who was that?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Calgary made a mistake of constantly retooling a low level playoff team as opposed to rebuilding. So be it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Calgary has been like this since the Iginla era, which was well over 20 years ago. They had a good thing from mid 2000 to late 2000 but they severely f***ed that up.

Bond

May 10, 2012
100%. At least one of them. I think Gio, Backlund, and at least one of Monahan or Gaudreau should go in the offseason.
Unfortunately due to Covid, I don't see much changing during the season.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I can't help but think Tkachuk would be a better player if he didn't do half of what he does too.

I admit I only watched very few Lames games this season, but every single game Tkachuck tried at least once his between legs move. I think I saw him try it three times in one of the games.

To me he seems more interested in scoring another highlight goal instead of helping his team.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014

Scorched earth rebuild and actually being patient for once....Tired of the flames being the center of embarrassing highlights with this flawed roster.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Just like the Oilers of the late 90’s/early 2000’s. There wasn’t much talent on the team but they still hung around and surprised teams because of their work ethic.

Reactions: HugginThePost

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Scorched earth rebuild and actually being patient for once....Tired of the flames being the center of embarrassing highlights with this flawed roster.

I feel like scorched earth is a last resort, and the Flames aren’t there yet.

Edmonton had to because we lost basically every asset that had value, and were struggling to even sign any free agents. It took 7 years to be a decent team again.

Look at Buffalo though. They were similar to Calgary, with lots of good assets still, and they decided to absolutely blow it up. The picks they accumulated in the sell off didn’t pan out nearly well enough, and despite having some elite talent, they still suck.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Tkachuk cares more than anyone else, gut the team and give it to Tkachuk. I haven't even watched a flames game this year cuz I'm just sick of watching this team.

If Bennett had worked out to a gilmour-style PPG player, monahan to a 30g 2-way beast and if they held on to Adam Fox, this team would be going places, but none of those things happened and it's time to restart instead of 5 miserable years of trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad