Dysfunction in Calgary?

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
I feel bad for the fans that are actually diehard Flames supporters, and continually watch this product night in and out. I've started investing so much more time into the NBA/NFL/EPL that I don't even tune into games anymore. I'll check the scores every so often and that's it. The Flames though per the course of my entire lifetime have never had a serious contender and I don't think they ever will with this cheap ownership that plays games out of a dirty toilet bowl stadium that's barely survived a flooding.

That's very kind of you, but really, like you said, this organization never truly put a real contender on the ice. At some point, as fans, to believe that things might change despite decades of this org showing us again and again that they won't... That's on us.

I'm just a lurker who posts occasionally, I'm personally not that invested. I enjoy the jabs between fanbases because, well, that's sports. But I'll say, I've never seen the flames board this miserable. And that's with actual good goaltending! So that kinda sucks.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Literally everyone on the Flames is mediocre to outright horrendous for the most part. In other words, it's 100% coaching (and the GM who continues to hire absolute passive morons who for the life of them, can't adjust or counter when their crappy systems are exposed). Yeah, sure, the roster might not be good enough to win a cup or whatever but they shouldn't be this bad.

Ward is a joke of a coach and will never be a head coach in the NHL again.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
That's very kind of you, but really, like you said, this organization never truly put a real contender on the ice. At some point, as fans, to believe that things might change despite decades of this org showing us again and again that they won't... That's on us.

I'm just a lurker who posts occasionally, I'm personally not that invested. I enjoy the jabs between fanbases because, well, that's sports. But I'll say, I've never seen the flames board this miserable. And that's with actual good goaltending! So that kinda sucks.

I've gotten well beyond the point of indifference. I probably just outgrew hockey? I'm not sure, I adored Jarome Iginla and he was so special to me as a child and an icon to me and it broke my heart when he was traded. I was like in high school during the early Gaudreau / Monahan days and those were fun watching them play. Gaudreau in particular was so breathtakingly electric making magic every single night in ways I'd never seen from a Flames forward. I was already becoming more invested in basketball around ~2015 as I was already a fan, but I was getting to the point of watching games nightly and posting on nba forums and whatever, but I would still follow the flames. The 2017 season was fun and they had the most competitive sweep against the Ducks I'd ever seen, and they played hard, but it was getting apparent that Sean Monahan was not a #1 center and for the Flames to be a serious club, that they'd have to find one.

2018 is foggy for me, I think that's around the time when Treliving makes that boneheaded Hamonic trade. Pissing away assets for a meatshield that was just dreadful. Sentient CTE. 2019 The Flames make that Lindholm trade for Dougie and absolutely blow up the regular season, it had me absolutely shocked (passively) following a Flames team that successful, ever. The purple gatorade memes were in full effect, the Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm/Tkachuk/Giordano quartet were lighting up the league and they pulled me back in a little, I got intrigued, but of course it was too good to be true.

I think they sputtered out of the gate following ASW, but still secured the #1 seed in the conference. And then just got humiliated in round 1. That was like peak Calgary Flames. Just embodied everything about the organization I'd ever known. From that point on I literally stopped caring and they are a major after thought to me now. Every now and again I'll check the scores or standings to see how they're doing, but as long as this core and management and coaching staff remain, they'll forever be a doorstep franchise in this league. How can a professional sports team go through like 40 years of successive mediocrity. Like 40 NHL drafts and an opportunity to turn your franchise around with a few good picks. They're just a cursed organization imo.

Reactions: kungfugazi

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don’t know. Calgary’s coach seems to be pretty good.
The mix of players is off.

Edit - the flames could make a big move - move Johnny g for skinner and a pick - rustle up the dressing room
Knew you didn’t know what you were talking about the minute you implied Geoff Ward is competent

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I can only imagine Oilers fans having a field day on their board. I don't even blame the f***ers lol. We laughed at them for a decade, now its our turn.
Sorry, Edmonton can not point fingers at the flames when we still have Chiarelli stink on us. I honestly have to say Kos has to be the worst goalie we ever had

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
I've gotten well beyond the point of indifference. I probably just outgrew hockey? I'm not sure, I adored Jarome Iginla and he was so special to me as a child and an icon to me and it broke my heart when he was traded. I was like in high school during the early Gaudreau / Monahan days and those were fun watching them play. Gaudreau in particular was so breathtakingly electric making magic every single night in ways I'd never seen from a Flames forward. I was already becoming more invested in basketball around ~2015 as I was already a fan, but I was getting to the point of watching games nightly and posting on nba forums and whatever, but I would still follow the flames. The 2017 season was fun and they had the most competitive sweep against the Ducks I'd ever seen, and they played hard, but it was getting apparent that Sean Monahan was not a #1 center and for the Flames to be a serious club, that they'd have to find one.

2018 is foggy for me, I think that's around the time when Treliving makes that boneheaded Hamonic trade. Pissing away assets for a meatshield that was just dreadful. Sentient CTE. 2019 The Flames make that Lindholm trade for Dougie and absolutely blow up the regular season, it had me absolutely shocked (passively) following a Flames team that successful, ever. The purple gatorade memes were in full effect, the Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm/Tkachuk/Giordano quartet were lighting up the league and they pulled me back in a little, I got intrigued, but of course it was too good to be true.

I think they sputtered out of the gate following ASW, but still secured the #1 seed in the conference. And then just got humiliated in round 1. That was like peak Calgary Flames. Just embodied everything about the organization I'd ever known. From that point on I literally stopped caring and they are a major after thought to me now. Every now and again I'll check the scores or standings to see how they're doing, but as long as this core and management and coaching staff remain, they'll forever be a doorstep franchise in this league. How can a professional sports team go through like 40 years of successive mediocrity. Like 40 NHL drafts and an opportunity to turn your franchise around with a few good picks. They're just a cursed organization imo.

Team changes, right? Been a fan since 02-03 because I always liked an underdog. That was what Iginla hockey was all about for me. Looking back, I'm not as much of a fan of the post game shenanigans after losses, but back then it was just like that, the underdog trying to get anything out of anything, knowing full well they were punching above their weight class.

This team hasn't been that since forever, and yet I keep following them. I don't quite know why. In fact I'd say they were truly that kind of underdog in 04. After that run, expectations were set. I guess that specific idea of flames hockey made an impression on me. The cardiac kids were the closest we got to being that kind of team again.

But some things also never change unless forced. 2 second round appearances in over 2 decades is not just pure bad luck. Maybe some organizations are just run a certain way that might not be conductive to success, I dunno. We've seen it with the Blackhawks, we're maybe seeing the other side of it with the Sabres. Ownership actually plays a huge role, even if that role sometimes calls to be hands off... it's never that simple, right?

So I guess that's my long winded way to say maybe we have to accept that and temper our expectations.

Reactions: cheechoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad