Dynasty Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I don't plan on buying the game until I see the rosters and prospects are in the correct place. How are the late round picks? Still 1.5*?

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Can't decide what team I want to be for GM connected once I get the game.

Want to be an Eastern team so considering Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit but Tampa, Islanders, or Washington could be fun too. Hmm.

Number1SensFan

Jun 26, 2012
In GMC, I just got offered Zibanejad for Wheeler, 2015 1st, and M. Puempel. Should I take it? I would be getting Zibby. What does he get to?

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
Haven't played an actual game yet but the first test has been passed. The sim is way faster than last year. I made a couple trades for picks and two notes. No longer can u trade a first in five years for a top current pick, which is a plus and secondly, the other teams trade value looks low until they say no to your trade then it grows significantly.

I just hope with progress reports making a comeback, we're gonna be able to land an occasional 5-6th round pick that can contribute. I'm also pretty interested in some dumb things that have been broken for years. Like when you're on your third team and your leaders stat window is still your first team.

Editing lines still doesn't have a cut and paste type feature which would still help but it does seem easier to edit.

On another note, does anyone know what those symbols are underneath the '"hey, I'm done with that scouting trip" pop up window.

360 or PS3? The 360 sim speed was fairly decent, PS3 was a nightmare.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
th

I've started a Dynasty with the Avalanche. Playing High Impact style on Superstar skill level.

After 9 games, the Avs are 6-2-1.

Ryan O'Reilly - 84 - (7G - 0A) - Matt Duchene - 87 - (5G - 12A) - PA Parenteau - 84 - (3G - 3A)
Gabe Landeskog - 85 - (4G - 1A) - Paul Stastny - 85 - (6G - 5A) - Alex Tanguay - 84 - (6G - 2A)
Jamie McGinn - 80 - (6G - 1A) - Nathan MacKinnon - 64 - (3G - 6A) - Steve Downie - 82 - (1G - 6A)
Cody McLeod - 75 - (0G - 0A) - John Mitchell - 79 - (1G - 0A) - Patrick Bordeleau - 71 - (0G - 1A)

Ryan Wilson - 79 - (1G - 1A) - Erik Johnson - 85 - (2G - 8A)
Jan Hejda - 82 - (1G - 1A) - Tyson Barrie - 82 - (0G - 9A)
Andre Benoit - 73 - (2G - 5A) - Cory Sarich - 78 - (1G - 3A)

Semyon Varlamov - 81 - (5-2-0, 3.71 GAA)
JS Giguere - 76 - (1-0-1, 3.97 GAA)

My offense has been incredibly balanced, but my goaltending has been atrocious. Varlamov and Giguere regularly let in floating shots from long distance. I'm considering trading for a goalie but am less than 2.0 million under the salary cap.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I've seen decent picks in the third and fourth round, but I'm only 3 years in. Typically, the first 2 or 3 drafts aren't the most indicative of the drafting mechanics in these NHL games.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can't decide what team I want to be for GM connected once I get the game.

Want to be an Eastern team so considering Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit but Tampa, Islanders, or Washington could be fun too. Hmm.

I've done about half the teams in the league over the course of 12 and 13, and Detroit was probably the most enjoyable one.

Great experience, great players, tough to balance rebuilding plus staying competitive. Very fun

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Simming on the 360, without installing to hard disk, is massively improved over 13 in Be a GM

Summing is five times as fast. Also hit a trade deadline and the sim between hours didn't take six minutes either.

I've only played a couple games but the amount of guys running guys might be over done. I'm all for some good runs late in games but it looks slightly excessive

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Summing is five times as fast. Also hit a trade deadline and the sim between hours didn't take six minutes either.

I've only played a couple games but the amount of guys running guys might be over done. I'm all for some good runs late in games but it looks slightly excessive

Yeah man, I flew through an entire season in no time at all today. Very impressed.

And yeah agreed on the running guys stuff - I'm trying to find the balance between aggression and still having a chippy, fun fight-filled experience, but it's hard to find right now.

Locke214

Mar 6, 2013
Entering year 3 of my islanders gm haven't made any trades trying to test the progression system. Statistical growth seems to be broken it never increases no matter how many points a player puts up.

Lines

P.Bouchard (83) J.Tavares (89) P.Kane (90)
K.Okposo (84) F.Nielsen (82) M.Grabner (84)
C.Macarthur (83) R.Strome (77) C.Cizikas (83)
B.Nelson (78) J.Bailey (81) C.Clutterbuck (82)

Testing to see if Strome will have better growth in the NHL because I gave him top lines in the AHL around 25 mins a night and he barely grew. I also signed Kane to a 8 year 9 Million dollar contract in the offseason only star free agent ive seen so far. Regression doesn't seem to hit CPU teams cause daystuk is still a 95 at 38 years old

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
God I hate Zack Smith right now... My first GM Mode in NHL14, we're leading Sens 3-2 in series. Game 6, Ryan ties the game with 10 seconds to go and then Smith scores with one freaking second left in the game. And then in game 7 he scores the OT winner. :laugh:

Btw, do the players progress at all at the off-season? There were only two players in my team whose stats got better during the season and now that it's off-season Hedman, who had 12 goals and 34 assists last season, didn't get better at all but he's potential dropped from 4½ gold stars to 4½ red stars. The only player who basically got better was Drouin who jumped from 66 or so to 72. I'm not sure about couple of other prospects. I'm right now going into the draft so I'm not sure if they get better later.

Edit: Okay, it seems that the players develop when the season starts. Hedman got up to 87 which is nice but wtf, Alzner went down from 86 to 85 although he had 40 points last season.

Last edited:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I played till the Olympic break with no injuries. In nhl13 in the second month of the first season my top 6 players were all long term injured. I screen shotted it and sent it to ea and got made fun of and called a noob on their message board.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
I played till the Olympic break with no injuries. In nhl13 in the second month of the first season my top 6 players were all long term injured. I screen shotted it and sent it to ea and got made fun of and called a noob on their message board.

Ea message boards is filled with trolls , fanboys , and ****** bags there.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

We're having similar results. I'm 6-3-2 with the Avs right now. Varly is at .876 with a 2.1 GAA. Giggy is .838 with a 3.01 GAA. I'm using custom sliders. I turned attribute effect way down, and it seems to have helped with the goalies on both sides. More 3-2 games and less 5-7 games. Also a lot less shots for me. It feels more true to the real NHL.

Edit: and EA really screwed us with the cap situation. I would have preferred that they just left Duchene and Landeskog's new deals out of the game if they couldn't get them right. They REALLY need to figure out how to do extensions a year in advance. They happen a lot, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to incorporate.

As a side note, I noticed the standings aren't really correct during the regular season, or maybe just their presentation isn't correct/helpful. In my dynasty, the Pacific is tearing it up, and the Central is really lagging. It works out right now that one of the top 3 in the Central is 9th place in the West, so it appears they would be out of the playoffs. Obviously with the new format, that isn't the case. Is the playoff format correct? Are the west standing just purely for ranking of points and not showing playoff teams, or did EA not incorporate the new format into the game?​

Last edited:

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Yeah, player progression is still broken. I like that players progress during the season, but it still seems very random. I'm not sure why EA has so much trouble with this. Would it really be that hard to create a formula that accurately factors in the player's age, potential, play time and stats?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Looks like the waiver issues from NHL 13 have been solved.

Boston acquired Matt Duchene and his 6 million cap hit, but instead of waving any big contract players, they waived a bunch of lesser players (Thornton, Campbell, and Krug) in order to make cap room.

Hopefully that's a sign of things to come and the days of Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar on waivers is over

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A few interesting trends that I've noticed with the draft:

Lots of the early picks (top 5ish) are all 4-star green players. Occasionally there's a 4-star yellow in there as well.

However, the 4.5-star players seem to go AFTER the 4-star green players. In trade-up scenarios, it seems beneficial not to be aiming for the very high picks and aiming for the top 10 picks instead.

For example, this is the run-down of the first draft:

Chi - Ritchie - 4-star, g- reen
Kings - Bailie - 4-star, green
Wash - Pepin - 4-star, green
Van - Mistele - 4-star, green
ST - Virtanen - 4-star, yellow
Dal - Maheux - 4-star, yellow
CLB - Nedelikovic - 3.5 star, green
NJ - McKwoen - 4.5-star, yellow - D
Cal - Reinhart - 4.5-star, yellow
Phil - Pouliot - 4.5 star, yellow, G
Buff - Ho-Sang - 4.5 star, yellow
NYI - Ekblad - 4.5 star, yellow
Det - Thrower - 4.5 star, yellow

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

Lots of the early picks (top 5ish) are all 4-star green players. Occasionally there's a 4-star yellow in there as well.

However, the 4.5-star players seem to go AFTER the 4-star green players. In trade-up scenarios, it seems beneficial not to be aiming for the very high picks and aiming for the top 10 picks instead. [/B]

I think it's about the fact that green potential doesn't change. I've only simmed one season so far but many of my players with yellow stars dropped to red stars but none of my green star players (Stamkos, Drouin, Palat, Connolly) dropped to yellow/red. Correct me if I'm wrong.

member 96824

However, the 4.5-star players seem to go AFTER the 4-star green players. In trade-up scenarios, it seems beneficial not to be aiming for the very high picks and aiming for the top 10 picks instead.

For example, this is the run-down of the first draft:

Chi - Ritchie - 4-star, g- reen
Kings - Bailie - 4-star, green
Wash - Pepin - 4-star, green
Van - Mistele - 4-star, green
ST - Virtanen - 4-star, yellow
Dal - Maheux - 4-star, yellow
CLB - Nedelikovic - 3.5 star, green
NJ - McKwoen - 4.5-star, yellow - D
Cal - Reinhart - 4.5-star, yellow
Phil - Pouliot - 4.5 star, yellow, G
Buff - Ho-Sang - 4.5 star, yellow
NYI - Ekblad - 4.5 star, yellow
Det - Thrower - 4.5 star, yellow

I saw this too...sat 15th in my draft after the first year...ended up with Ekblad.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I think it's about the fact that green potential doesn't change. I've only simmed one season so far but many of my players with yellow stars dropped to red stars but none of my green star players (Stamkos, Drouin, Palat, Connolly) dropped to yellow/red. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wanna say players with Green Potential don't ever lose there green potential when progressing, and although I haven't seen a high Potential player with Green Stars lose his potential, I've seen 2 1/2 Star Green Players lose there potential.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I saw this too...sat 15th in my draft after the first year...ended up with Ekblad.

Yeah, it's interesting.

I've seen the same thing happen in 2 draft classes now. Obviously the early drafts are never a real indication of how drafting will work in the game, but it's definitely something I'm going to be keeping an eye on.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
It definitely seems like the AI teams target players with green potential in the draft, even if they have less stars. It does appear as if players with green stars are less likely to drop to red than players with yellow stars, so that could be why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad