Friedman: Dylan Strome on the move?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There is no guarantee on any top prospect or high draft pick to either make it to the nhl level or produce or exceed expectations its all a gamble.

Str9me was the 3rd overall pick and he hasn't yet earned that high draft mark. Look at guys like cat or Saad later picks and yet achieved.

The point is teams need to stockpile top prospects for purposes of trade or to assure themselves of future depth .
and sacrificing that future depth or quality trade chip on an underachieving 3rd overall who seems to have peaked sure does not seem like something a wise GM will do. trade r*pe is real and happens yes, however the likely hood of Strome getting a top tier prospect + a pick is silly.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
What teams could really use a middle 6 C? Minnesota, Buffalo, Arizona maybe.

I really like @rt's idea of sending him back to Arizona a for Phil the Thrill.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Nobody here has a crystal ball or can with 100% certainty claim what chicago will or won't receive.

Let's look at 2 past trades this summer and nobody expected Johnson or fluery to be handed over for a mere low level prospect or a ltir seabrook .

I'm not a strome fan however he has potential chicago and arizona never got what was expected from him.

If Chicago is taking calls from multiple teams then the assumption is more than a low draft pick .
Stromes value is he can play center is a potential number 2 c but easily for arguement purposes a 3c.
Wrong. Everyone knew TB was going to have to pay someone to dump Tyler Johnson. The Fleury trade was kinda surprising, but considering he is a 37 year old making $7M, there were limited options. Everyone knew he wasn't getting a top prospect or a 1st round pick.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kirby Dach has made Strome expendable. Though I would keep Strome but guess he doesn't like playing wing and he's not your ideal 4th line center.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
My proposed offer:

Montreal gets:
Strome
Shaw (LTIR)

Chicago gets:
Poehling
Byron
2nd

Shaw included to balance contracts, Byron included to balance cap.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I know he is but I feel like Perrault can replace a decent amount of what he does until Byron is back in 1.5 months and adding strome gives us a solid 3C.

I don’t think Perrault can play the physical style Lehkonen can. Also Lek is like 26 and Perrault is 30+ and is smaller and slower.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
and sacrificing that future depth or quality trade chip on an underachieving 3rd overall who seems to have peaked sure does not seem like something a wise GM will do. trade r*pe is real and happens yes, however the likely hood of Strome getting a top tier prospect + a pick is silly.

Oh please stop with the sacrificing the future nonsense. I get it you dislike strome ok well this isn't about our feelings , it's a business.

If a team has a need and interest in a player then that GM will make and agree to said offer . Remember if a team is acquiring a player its not only for their current needs but their future long term goals. So give it a rest about giving up prospects for future depth that line doesn't hold water in any sports business.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Oh please stop with the sacrificing the future nonsense. I get it you dislike strome ok well this isn't about our feelings , it's a business.

If a team has a need and interest in a player then that GM will make and agree to said offer . Remember if a team is acquiring a player its not only for their current needs but their future long term goals. So give it a rest about giving up prospects for future depth that line doesn't hold water in any sports business.
You may need to reread. nowhere did i say giving up prospects for future depth. you brought up prospects as being future depth or quality trade chips which is accurate. i am stating that those 2 things do not get thrown around for a 3rd overall who seems to have peaked at a not so amazingly high pace. i never once stated i did not like him, id actually be happy to welcome a center with offense to the wild. however i do not agree with your assessment that he will fetch a top prospect and pick. dont put words in my mouth and get bent out of shape for it.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Wrong. Everyone knew TB was going to have to pay someone to dump Tyler Johnson. The Fleury trade was kinda surprising, but considering he is a 37 year old making $7M, there were limited options. Everyone knew he wasn't getting a top prospect or a 1st round pick.

That's your own opinion, trades happen all the time some are great for both teams some are one-sided in the end each team needs a willing trading partner.

Chicago doesn't have to move strome , but teams have now figured out their needs and realize if a deal can be struck Chicago will part ways with him.

I'm not a strome fan however he has shown to be capable of putting up 40 to 60 points in a season which is respectful, unfortunately Chicago has no use for him . Don't conflate Chicago's willingness to move him as a sign strome is awful , he just doesn't fit in with Chicago game plan.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
You may need to reread. nowhere did i say giving up prospects for future depth. you brought up prospects as being future depth or quality trade chips which is accurate. i am stating that those 2 things do not get thrown around for a 3rd overall who seems to have peaked at a not so amazingly high pace. i never once stated i did not like him, id actually be happy to welcome a center with offense to the wild. however i do not agree with your assessment that he will fetch a top prospect and pick. dont put words in my mouth and get bent out of shape for it.

You got bent out of shape. You put your feelings into your comments, I just merely pointed out that.

Also just because you may like some of your prospects doesn't mean anything when it comes to each teams GMs in discussions with trading or acquiring players.

Sure a player whom was selected in the top 10 should be progressing upwards in his game and points , however just because you go at 1 or 3 doesn't mean you'll be a point plus per game player.

Look at toews imo having Hossa on his line helped make him a better player , where as a guy like kane only got remarkably better without anyone special playing alongside him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You got bent out of shape. You put your feelings into your comments, I just merely pointed out that.

Also just because you may like some of your prospects doesn't mean anything when it comes to each teams GMs in discussions with trading or acquiring players.

Sure a player whom was selected in the top 10 should be progressing upwards in his game and points , however just because you go at 1 or 3 doesn't mean you'll be a point plus per game player.

Look at toews imo having Hossa on his line helped make him a better player , where as a guy like kane only got remarkably better without anyone special playing alongside him.
There's no denying that fans' personal opinions of prospects don't mean much.

There's also no denying that the list of trades that sent one of a team's top prospects and/or a high draft pick out for a middling 24 year old forward isn't long.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think Strome needs to be moved. I believe they will entertain some proposals but I think they keep him unless blown away with a good offer.

Reactions: SuterHaglshev

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

where did i get bent out of shape? im simply discussing that his current trajectory and his one decent season do not make him worth what you say he is. i dont even care where he was drafted, his current performance of no defense and some offense without being a line driver make his ceiling low.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
There's no denying that fans' personal opinions of prospects don't mean much.

There's also no denying that the list of trades that sent one of a team's top prospects and/or a high draft pick out for a middling 24 year old forward isn't long.

That's opinions again. In your eyes that feels like losing but a team that inquires about said player feels that player brings value. What is factual strome is a 40 to 60 point player those are very respectful numbers , sure he isn't that strong defensively but their aren't to many centers either available or maybe that team lacks that depth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's opinions again. In your eyes that feels like losing but a team that inquires about said player feels that player brings value. What is factual strome is a 40 to 60 point player those are very respectful numbers , sure he isn't that strong defensively but their aren't to many centers either available or maybe that team lacks that depth.
The fact that teams rarely trade from the top of their prospect pool isn't an opinion. The fact that they basically never do it for Strome-caliber players is also not an opinion.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
where did i get bent out of shape? im simply discussing that his current trajectory and his one decent season do not make him worth what you say he is. i dont even care where he was drafted, his current performance of no defense and some offense without being a line driver make his ceiling low.

That's your own opinion. Each team needs to evaluate their own needs and what's available. Strome is a 40 to 60 point player look at his numbers just because he doesn't jump off the page and excite you he still is young and very serviceable.

Look also at the market, eichel his cost and return simply isn't even worth pursuing. His injury plus needed surgery makes him just for those 2 reasons a red flag then the price to get a seriously injured player who needs spine surgery and a massive amount of time to recover with no guarantee he will ever be the same player or not be injury prone.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Would love him as the LW on Tavares-Nylander line
He doesnt forecheck or puck retrieve well enough to be in the top 6. He isnt outplaying Nylander or Marner from a playmaking perspective, and he cant outshoot Tavares or Matthews.

I would prefer him over Kerfoot on the third line if his defense has improved. Last I seriously watched him was junior and he was below average. The scouting reports of him in the NHL seem to still say defense is an issue.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The fact that teams rarely trade from the top of their prospect pool isn't an opinion. The fact that they basically never do it for Strome-caliber players is also not an opinion.

Players and prospects get moved all the time. If a team has a certain need and the price is right nobody is untouchable .

Not every top prospect for that matter makes it or lives up to a perceived value. Look at the market for a young center who can give you 40 to 60 points on a cheap contract in a Era where the cap isn't moving up for quite sometime.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
That's your own opinion. Each team needs to evaluate their own needs and what's available. Strome is a 40 to 60 point player look at his numbers just because he doesn't jump off the page and excite you he still is young and very serviceable.

Look also at the market, eichel his cost and return simply isn't even worth pursuing. His injury plus needed surgery makes him just for those 2 reasons a red flag then the price to get a seriously injured player who needs spine surgery and a massive amount of time to recover with no guarantee he will ever be the same player or not be injury prone.
i did not say he is not serviceable, i even stated i would take him on the wild for his offense. the fact that he does not play defense though is what would lessen his value, the fact he is a passenger and not a driver also lessens his value. i would trade for him and slot him next to fiala right now.

no need to bring eichel into this. enough talk on that for months now...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Players and prospects get moved all the time. If a team has a certain need and the price is right nobody is untouchable .

Not every top prospect for that matter makes it or lives up to a perceived value. Look at the market for a young center who can give you 40 to 60 points on a cheap contract in a Era where the cap isn't moving up for quite sometime.
Nothing is impossible, but pointing that out doesn't make it likely either.

Do you have an example of a trade where a 50-ish point, 24-year old forward returned one of team's top prospects? There may be one, but I'm currently drawing a blank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad