Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The developmental curve for NHL defensemen has shrunk and continues to over time. Many players are much more NHL-capable now at 19 and 20 than ever before at the D position. That's not to say it still doesn't take the old "standard" time for some to really make it and hit their stride but the assumption of it having to take 2, 3, 4 years is no longer the case.

EDIT: Saw T2B's post after I posted this. Basically says the same thing.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Last night's goal is not an average NHL goal. I've been impressed with him and he seems to be a good fit. Hopefully that trajectory keeps up and he continues to feel comfortable and feel like a fit, cuz he's sure looked it. Still needs to work on some things but that's ok. He's doing well for himself and any improvement in those areas is going to make him all the better.

EDIT: Same for Schmaltz, so far. It will be interesting to see how much both players continue to sustain (or not) or how much of this is just "change of scenery" boost, if you will. I genuinely hope that maybe this helps Schmaltz figure some things out, but I wouldn't bet my life on it keeping up. I hope it does for his sake.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Definitely. Just meant in terms of the future he may be an important peice going forward in this (don’t call it a) rebuild and Schmaltz was a minor price to pay if it works out. Don’t pick up a top 5 draft pick every day in a non blockbuster trade.

I expect he will be, yes.

Reactions: icekoob

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Perlini turns into anything, and I mean a 3rd-4th line energy guy that can net 10-15 goals a year then this deal will work out fine. Strome has shown he can think the game at a high level, and has the creativity to be a top 6 player as well. I was worried in the first game he played with him hesitating a bit on his decisions, maybe that was nerves playing for a new team...since then I really haven't noticed what others have been harping on with this kid.

It seems to be one of those deals that works out for both teams as Schmaltz has looked like he did last year - that f***ing one timer he scored last night, are you freaking kidding me??? where in the hell was that all year Nicky???

Strome has to be looking at Toews as a role model - this is how you play the game (thank you Johnny for not playing like you did last year)...Strome simply didn't have anyone like that in Arizona to take him under the wing and show him how it is done...and the weird thing is I think Strome can actually play a lot like Toews style wise as well...he is capable of it, kid goes to the net, good at the dot, underrated shot, responsible in his own zone...all the makings of a poor man Toews...both teams are happy right now with the trade, hope it continues like this as I wish Schmaltz well over there too.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You guys know hockey more than I ... so I will take your word that blue liners are easier to develop nowadays. I haven't seen it with the Blackhawks for a decade. Keith and Seabrook took time to develop. Hjalmarsson got going in his 3rd year at 22. Leddy took time to develop. Barker and Pokka never matured.

I see the talent in Joker. However, he still needs a couple more years to be a legit top pairing DMen. You see some talent in Forsling and Gus ... but they are still a work in progress. It's been up and down with Murphy.

Am I to believe Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, etc. are supposed to hit early? I guesa it can happen. But at their age ... there are going to be a lot of up and downs. I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
You guys know hockey more than I ... so I will take your word that blue liners are easier to develop nowadays. I haven't seen it with the Blackhawks for a decade. Keith and Seabrook took time to develop. Hjalmarsson got going in his 3rd year at 22. Leddy took time to develop. Barker and Pokka never matured.

I see the talent in Joker. However, he still needs a couple more years to be a legit top pairing DMen. You see some talent in Forsling and Gus ... but they are still a work in progress. It's been up and down with Murphy.

Am I to believe Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, etc. are supposed to hit early? I guesa it can happen. But at their age ... there are going to be a lot of up and downs. I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong.

Keith and Seabrook came up 15 years ago, and Hjalmarsson right behind. Barker? 15 years ago, and of course some players aren't going to cut it, though he did have one or two very good years.

Point being, I'm talking the past 5-7 years in particular, maybe even 10, D-men more and more often are getting to the league younger and quicker from when they're drafted. It's a more recent trend and there are examples all over the league.

People aren't suggesting every one of them is going to come in and be a 100% fully polished NHL product right away, but you can come in, be effective, be a difference maker, and thus be a major upgrade and contribute to a team being much more competitive as a whole.

EDIT: Leddy had faults but was a 40 point d-man his second season in the league as a 20 year old.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Keith and Seabrook came up 15 years ago, and Hjalmarsson right behind. Barker? 15 years ago, and of course some players aren't going to cut it, though he did have one or two very good years.

Point being, I'm talking the past 5-7 years in particular, maybe even 10, D-men more and more often are getting to the league younger and quicker from when they're drafted. It's a more recent trend and there are examples all over the league.

People aren't suggesting every one of them is going to come in and be a 100% fully polished NHL product right away, but you can come in, be effective, be a difference maker, and thus be a major upgrade and contribute to a team being much more competitive as a whole.
That's my concern ... the Hawks are desperate for top 4 DMen. I understand the young kids can contribute in a bottom pairing. However, we need top 4 DMen. And when will they turn into a top pairing? To be honest, Keith is our only top 4 on this current team. Manning and Rutta are awful. Forsling is improving. Gus and Murphy are just so inconsistent. Joker has a ton of talent, but still has a long way to go. I don't know what Seabrook is anymore.

I get that Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, etc. have a lot of potential. However, it's most likely going take time to develop.

That said ... a signing like Panarin and drafting Hughes can change the narrative among the forwards in no time. I see the light at the end of the tunnel for our forward skill / depth. The light at the blue line appears so much farther away.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
That's my concern ... the Hawks are desperate for top 4 DMen. I understand the young kids can contribute in a bottom pairing. However, we need top 4 DMen. And when will they turn into a top pairing? To be honest, Keith is our only top 4 on this current team. Manning and Rutta are awful. Forsling is improving. Gus and Murphy are just so inconsistent. Joker has a ton of talent, but still has a long way to go. I don't know what Seabrook is anymore.

I get that Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, etc. have a lot of potential. However, it's most likely going take time to develop.

That said ... a signing like Panarin and drafting Hughes can change the narrative among the forwards in no time. I see the light at the end of the tunnel for our forward skill / depth. The light at the blue line appears so much farther away.

I really don't think it is. Could end up being entirely wrong but you could very easily be 2020 away from those guys being top 4 guys, and that's not even including Joki already being one, which I'd argue he is. Maybe you pick up another one up in free agency with all of the cap space you have and you're already at two top 4 guys next season in the fold (with Keith maybe as a 3rd?), not even accounting if Forsling, etc takes another step forward next season OR one of the kids really makes a Joki-type jump right away. It's not really all that far off, in my opinion.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I really don't think it is. Could end up being entirely wrong but you could very easily be 2020 away from those guys being top 4 guys, and that's not even including Joki already being one, which I'd argue he is. Maybe you pick up another one up in free agency with all of the cap space you have and you're already at two top 4 guys next season in the fold (with Keith maybe as a 3rd?), not even accounting if Forsling, etc takes another step forward next season OR one of the kids really makes a Joki-type jump right away. It's not really all that far off, in my opinion.
I'll take your word for it. However, our defense is so bad (goals against), I have a hard time believing we have many legit top 4 DMen currently. Even Joker and Forsling still have some to go. IMO, Keith is our only legit top 4 right now.

Gus has his moments on offense. Murphy can do some things in front of the net. However, they are still way too inconsistent.

With $12.4mn invested into our 3rd pairing in 2-3 years, we really need for our young DMen to take a MAJOR step in the NHL. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just really nervous. That's why I'm looking at Joker, Forsling, Gus, and Murphy to take that step. I can't rely on kids who haven't even played a NHL game. I'm hopeful, but cautious.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'll take your word for it. However, our defense is so bad (goals against), I have a hard time believing we have many legit top 4 DMen currently. Even Joker and Forsling still have some to go. IMO, Keith is our only legit top 4 right now.

Gus has his moments on offense. Murphy can do some things in front of the net. However, they are still way too inconsistent.

With $12.4mn invested into our 3rd pairing in 2-3 years, we really need for our young DMen to take a MAJOR step in the NHL. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just really nervous. That's why I'm looking at Joker, Forsling, Gus, and Murphy to take that step. I can't rely on kids who haven't even played a NHL game. I'm hopeful, but cautious.

Perfectly reasonable approach. I'm not betting my first-born on it, either. But the groundwork and potential are there and it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Okay ... sorry for the thread hijack. Back to Strome.

I know many of you took back the idea that Strome can't skate ... but how much faster can he get? He doesn't appear that slow, but he can probably get faster. The kid has sweet hands and a nose for the puck.

If the Hawks draft Hughes, that's ...

1C. Toews
2C. Strome
3C. Hughes
4C. Kampf

I'm assuming Anismov is traded. That's not too bad. Let's hope we can sign Panarin. I still like Kahun. He's a good 3rd line forward.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Okay ... sorry for the thread hijack. Back to Strome.

I know many of you took back the idea that Strome can't skate ... but how much faster can he get? He doesn't appear that slow, but he can probably get faster. The kid has sweet hands and a nose for the puck.

If the Hawks draft Hughes, that's ...

1C. Toews
2C. Hughes
3C. Strome

4C. Kampf

I'm assuming Anismov is traded. That's not too bad. Let's hope we can sign Panarin. I still like Kahun. He's a good 3rd line forward.

FFY. I'd imagine Hughes is the 2C at that point, even fresh out of the draft. Either way, it's great depth down the middle.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If we do land Hughes, I'd be interested in seeing if we could try doing what Edmonton has done for a lot of the last couple years and have a winger (which in this case would be Strome) taking the faceoff and giving Hughes the option to start skating up ice immediately (or to the net if it's an offensive zone faceoff). Worked wonders for McDavid/Draisitl, allowing McDavid to utilize his speed and skill, while having a forward that is actually good at faceoffs take the draws.

In that case, you could have an awesome line of DeBrincat-Hughes-Strome, but with Strome being the faceoff guy.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
FFY. I'd imagine Hughes is the 2C at that point, even fresh out of the draft. Either way, it's great depth down the middle.

Ya, this is why I hope Toews doesn’t give up on this team or vice versa. I think Zawaski was grouping Toews up in the core he wants to see blown up.

Toews and Hughes as a 1/2 down the middle looks a lot better than Hughes and Strome as 1/2.

I do think if they go full blow up, they keep Saad around as the veteran presence for the young guys.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If we do land Hughes, I'd be interested in seeing if we could try doing what Edmonton has done for a lot of the last couple years and have a winger (which in this case would be Strome) taking the faceoff and giving Hughes the option to start skating up ice immediately (or to the net if it's an offensive zone faceoff). Worked wonders for McDavid/Draisitl, allowing McDavid to utilize his speed and skill, while having a forward that is actually good at faceoffs take the draws.

In that case, you could have an awesome line of DeBrincat-Hughes-Strome, but with Strome being the faceoff guy.
IF we sign Panarin (I think it happens - Kane is Panarin's muse), you are implying a Panarin - Toews - Kane line. I guess Kahun can center a line with Saad and Perlini. That can be a big fast shut down line.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Ya, this is why I hope Toews doesn’t give up on this team or vice versa. I think Zawaski was grouping Toews up in the core he wants to see blown up.

Toews and Hughes as a 1/2 down the middle looks a lot better than Hughes and Strome as 1/2.

I do think if they go full blow up, they keep Saad around as the veteran presence for the young guys.

Where was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad