Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Where was this?

He said it in last night’s podcast.

Zawaski called for blowing up the team on his postgame podcast, “Why wait? Nothing is going to happen between now and a year from now, or two years from now, that’s going to make the Blackhawks contenders again. At least not with this core of players.”

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
IF we sign Panarin (I think it happens - Kane is Panarin's muse), you are implying a Panarin - Toews - Kane line. I guess Kahun can center a line with Saad and Perlini. That can be a big fast shut down line.
I think, in a hypothetical future where we have BOTH Panarin and Hughes next season, that we keep Anisimov and reunite the Panarin-Anisimov-Kane line.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Has James Naveau infected Jay with hot take syndrome?

I don’t know, but Zawaski seems to have his finger on the pulse of the inner workings of this team better than anyone else.

The most recent example is railing on Schmaltz weeks before anyone else, and sure enough, Schmaltz is gone.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don’t know, but Zawaski seems to have his finger on the pulse of the inner workings of this team better than anyone else.

The most recent example is railing on Schmaltz week’s before anyone else, and sure enough, Schmaltz is gone.
I think everyone is in play minus Kane. However, I have a hard time believing we trade Toews unless the Hawks get back a good return. He's still young ... face of the franchise ... and we waited 2.5 years for this Toews. He finally appears to have figured it out again.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think everyone is in play minus Kane. However, I have a hard time believing we trade Toews unless the Hawks get back a good return. He's still young ... face of the franchise ... and we waited 2.5 years for this Toews. He finally appears to have figured it out again.

Ya, I really don’t know what happens next. Zawaski actually talking a full blow up provides more to read into than JJ and Gatekeeper talking blowup.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

The most recent example is railing on Schmaltz weeks before anyone else, and sure enough, Schmaltz is gone.

Everyone was railing on Schmaltz. It’s easy to say the Hawks should blow it up, and I’m unimpressed by “people in the know” suggesting it.

Reactions: Pez68

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Everyone was railing on Schmaltz. It’s easy to say the Hawks should blow it up, and I’m unimpressed by “people in the know” suggesting it.

Okay, that’s fine. I obviously take more stock in what Zawaski says than you do. I feel like he’s proven over and over that he knows what he’s talking about better than anyone else covering the team.

Powers is the best Hawks journalist, Zawaski is the best “insider”

I base that on their bodies of work, those are the guys I trust.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I agree for the most part on that but was this not just Jay's opinion on the matter or was he saying this based on anything he's heard? My guess is this was just his opinion, not something he hears is coming from the organization. Big distinction there.

Personally, I disagree pretty heavily with a 100% blow up, today.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I agree for the most part on that but was this not just Jay's opinion on the matter or was he saying this based on anything he's heard? My guess is this was just his opinion, not something he hears is coming from the organization. Big distinction there.

Personally, I disagree pretty heavily with a 100% blow up, today.

Absolutely 100% presented as his opinion. He did not report that as the sense he was getting from the front office.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's just speculating. Zawaski doesn't know anything on that front that we don't know. I proposed the Schmaltz trade, that doesn't make me an insider. Zawaski's nailing of Schmaltz doesn't mean he knew anything more than the rest of us.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's just speculating. Zawaski doesn't know anything on that front that we don't know. I proposed the Schmaltz trade, that doesn't make me an insider. Zawaski's nailing of Schmaltz doesn't mean he knew anything more than the rest of us.

Zawaski has been ahead of things over and over and has done it way more than you. The Schmaltz example is just one in a series of things he has gotten right.

To say you’re in the same class as Zawaski because you FINALLY got one trade proposal right is absolutely laughable.

You’re more JJ than Zawaski. Your window for gloating over one right call is closing.

Edit: That seems harsher than I intended it to be.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Last night's goal is not an average NHL goal. I've been impressed with him and he seems to be a good fit. Hopefully that trajectory keeps up and he continues to feel comfortable and feel like a fit, cuz he's sure looked it. Still needs to work on some things but that's ok. He's doing well for himself and any improvement in those areas is going to make him all the better.

EDIT: Same for Schmaltz, so far. It will be interesting to see how much both players continue to sustain (or not) or how much of this is just "change of scenery" boost, if you will. I genuinely hope that maybe this helps Schmaltz figure some things out, but I wouldn't bet my life on it keeping up. I hope it does for his sake.
Strome to put it mildly has a nose for putting the puck into the net..... that is a gift and only the blind fan with an agenda will not admit it.....

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Zawaski has been ahead of things over and over and has done it way more than you. The Schmaltz example is just one in a series of things he has gotten right.

To say you’re in the same class as Zawaski because you FINALLY got one trade proposal right is absolutely laughable.

You’re more JJ than Zawaski. Your window for gloating over one right call is closing.

Edit: That seems harsher than I intended it to be.
That's not my point. I'm not trying to gloat. But what he's saying is pure conjecture. There's nothing to draw from him saying that the Hawks should blow it up.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So Zawaski has eyes and watches the team? Because that's all you need for that opinion. The problem is, his brain isn't involved much in that opinion. The "100% blow it up" is easier said than done. From a marketing standpoint. From a fan backlash standpoint. From a logistics and cap standpoint (cap hits and NMC clauses). From a free agent attractiveness standpoint.... (selling guys on playing with future hall of famers is a lot easier than selling guys on playing with a bunch of kids with potential in a rebuild). From a LOYALTY standpoint.

Even without all of those complications, what are the odds the return on Toews, Kane, or Keith are anything close to the player they will be the next 4 seasons?? Slim to none. Prospects and draft picks are a crap shoot, and your high picks are just as likely to turn into impact players as every other team's high picks.. So really, what incentive is there to move guys who will be useful pieces and great veteran presence for the next wave of young players? I say none.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
So Zawaski has eyes and watches the team? Because that's all you need for that opinion. The problem is, his brain isn't involved much in that opinion. The "100% blow it up" is easier said than done. From a marketing standpoint. From a fan backlash standpoint. From a logistics and cap standpoint (cap hits and NMC clauses). From a free agent attractiveness standpoint.... (selling guys on playing with future hall of famers is a lot easier than selling guys on playing with a bunch of kids with potential in a rebuild). From a LOYALTY standpoint.

Even without all of those complications, what are the odds the return on Toews, Kane, or Keith are anything close to the player they will be the next 4 seasons?? Slim to none. Prospects and draft picks are a crap shoot, and your high picks are just as likely to turn into impact players as every other team's high picks.. So really, what incentive is there to move guys who will be useful pieces and great veteran presence for the next wave of young players? I say none.

No way in hell do I think they should completely blow the team up.

Ideally, they'll be able to find a suitor somehow to take on the Seabs contract, but that's never going to happen.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Cap space is the incentive to move high priced aging vets. There's something called an opportunity cost. The Hawks have to explore every option. How many "great veteran presence" do the Hawks need? $26mn worth of "veteran presence." While we can't exile every high priced vet, every trade has to be explored ... especially when most of them have NMCs.

The Hawks have to find a delicate balance. They have to rebuild, but not alienate the fan base. To be honest, just keeping Toews and Kane will keep the fans very content (that's $21mn / year!). No one is going to revolt if Keith, Saad, Crow, or Seabrook get shipped ... even with their Cups. Hawk fans are intelligent.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I wish they would do what the Rangers did last year and just come clean to the fans, say it’s a rebuild year or whatever, it’s part of the business, they appreciate everyone’s patience.

upload_2018-12-12_13-36-45.jpeg

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I wish they would do what the Rangers did last year and just come clean to the fans, say it’s a rebuild year or whatever, it’s part of the business, they appreciate everyone’s patience.

View attachment 164457
What difference would it have made beside sending a bad message to the vets? NYR doesn’t have a bunch of core pieces on 3x cup winners and doesn’t have to tip toe over the fact that there’s not much there.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'll admit I was wrong on this team being a playoff team this year (I expected a #6-8 seed) but I still think blowing it up would be a mistake. There's still a lot of talent, and there's a lot of talent coming. If things don't go well next year, absolutely blow it up.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What difference would it have made beside sending a bad message to the vets? NYR doesn’t have a bunch of core pieces on 3x cup winners and doesn’t have to tip toe over the fact that there’s not much there.

Just to take some pressure off everyone and make people stop talking about a complete tear down, which would be stupid.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

Exactly, if you trade those guys, you're just going to be looking for guys like them (albeit younger/smaller cap hit versions).

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Is doing that a worse message than what’s happening with this team right now?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Just to take some pressure off everyone and make people stop talking about a complete tear down, which would be stupid.
The team knows it’s in a rebuild. Most fans know the team is in a rebuild. I just don’t get what saying it out loud accomplishes.

If the team came out and said it was in a rebuild there would be MORE people calling for a complete tear down not less.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cap space is the incentive to move high priced aging vets. There's something called an opportunity cost. The Hawks have to explore every option. How many "great veteran presence" do the Hawks need? $26mn worth of "veteran presence." While we can't exile every high priced vet, every trade has to be explored ... especially when most of them have NMCs.

The Hawks have to find a delicate balance. They have to rebuild, but not alienate the fan base. To be honest, just keeping Toews and Kane will keep the fans very content (that's $21mn / year!). No one is going to revolt if Keith, Saad, Crow, or Seabrook get shipped ... even with their Cups. Hawk fans are intelligent.

There’s also a cap floor and cap space does have diminishing returns. They’ll have enough to get the player they need versus trading good players and trying to replace them in the UFA market where they’ll probably end up with worse players at the same cap hit. Every player you listed is fair value excluding Seabrook but he’s going nowhere.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The team knows it’s in a rebuild. Most fans know the team is in a rebuild. I just don’t get what saying it out loud accomplishes.

If the team came out and said it was in a rebuild there would be MORE people calling for a complete tear down not less.

If most fans know, then who are they fooling with their phony “this is a playoff team” PR messaging?

Also, if the team knows then how does openly saying it make things any worse for the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad