Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah, I'd like to trade Seabrook and his awful contract as well, but it's not like it's completely sinking the team going forward or anything. Manning's deal sucks but it's only one more year. Anisimov's deal isn't great either but it's movable.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Good discussion everyone, but let's try to stay on topic
q3OKbmp.jpg

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
If most fans know, then who are they fooling with their phony “this is a playoff team” PR messaging?

Also, if the team knows then how does openly saying it make things any worse for the players?
I said most fans. Have you seen how many meatballs post here? There are quite a few people that will eat up whatever the GM says or a random blogger because it fits what they’re looking for. It’s human nature.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Mitchell is 100% ready for the NHL. Boqvist just needs a little polish and he'll be ready too. I'd say he's probably gonna get a look next year, and will play in the AHL, and be the regular injury call-up. We'll have to wait and see, though. Beaudin has to be included in there as well. This team is loaded at the D position, even if one of them flops. I'm excited for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Boqvist next year is like Joker this year: 'hawks or CHL. I don't think Rockford is an option.

Thus he either makes the team or slides another year.

As for Strome, IMHO already better than was Schmaltz was providing here. We'll see if it continues.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cap space is the incentive to move high priced aging vets. There's something called an opportunity cost. The Hawks have to explore every option. How many "great veteran presence" do the Hawks need? $26mn worth of "veteran presence." While we can't exile every high priced vet, every trade has to be explored ... especially when most of them have NMCs.

The Hawks have to find a delicate balance. They have to rebuild, but not alienate the fan base. To be honest, just keeping Toews and Kane will keep the fans very content (that's $21mn / year!). No one is going to revolt if Keith, Saad, Crow, or Seabrook get shipped ... even with their Cups. Hawk fans are intelligent.

Cap space is fairly useless to teams that are rebuilding. Not like they are spending to the cap right now. And that cap space is just going to be eaten up by the fact that now you're overpaying free agents to play here again. Free agents that are likely nowhere near as good as Keith, Kane, or Toews...even in a couple years. A complete rebuild is a bad idea from pretty much any angle you look at it. Which is why the Hawks haven't done it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Cap space is the incentive to move high priced aging vets. There's something called an opportunity cost. The Hawks have to explore every option. How many "great veteran presence" do the Hawks need? $26mn worth of "veteran presence." While we can't exile every high priced vet, every trade has to be explored ... especially when most of them have NMCs.

The Hawks have to find a delicate balance. They have to rebuild, but not alienate the fan base. To be honest, just keeping Toews and Kane will keep the fans very content (that's $21mn / year!). No one is going to revolt if Keith, Saad, Crow, or Seabrook get shipped ... even with their Cups. Hawk fans are intelligent.

They have no issues with cap space. They over $20m to spend going into next season. Why would they move Toews, Kane, or Keith when there's no need, and they're still very much solid NHL players?

Chicago Blackhawks 2019 Salary Cap

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
I wish they would do what the Rangers did last year and just come clean to the fans, say it’s a rebuild year or whatever, it’s part of the business, they appreciate everyone’s patience.

View attachment 164457

meh, they got 3 cups in 6. Nothing to apologize for. Only 2 teams (Kings and Penguins) made that sort of run and the Kings have become just like the Hawks, a lottery team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Boqvist next year is like Joker this year: 'hawks or CHL. I don't think Rockford is an option.

As for Strome, IMHO already better than was Schmaltz was providing here. We'll see if it continues.

Boqvist can go to Rockford. He joined the CHL after he was drafted so he's not bound by the NHL-CHL agreement.

Reactions: Giovi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

See BL's post above mine. He was assigned there by the Hawks. He was previously playing for all Swedish national teams.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Yeap they could’ve send Boqvist to Rockford for this season already.

I’m looking for Mitchell to give Joker kind of impact next season though.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeap they could’ve send Boqvist to Rockford for this season already.

I’m looking for Mitchell to give Joker kind of impact next season though.

That’s what I think too. Mitchell is next year’s Joki, let Keith shepherd him.

The following year same with Boqvist.

Trying to do both in the same year is a bit much.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There’s also a cap floor and cap space does have diminishing returns. They’ll have enough to get the player they need versus trading good players and trying to replace them in the UFA market where they’ll probably end up with worse players at the same cap hit. Every player you listed is fair value excluding Seabrook but he’s going nowhere.
Because of the rebuild, I'm pushing out my contention timeline 2-3 years. If you told me that the Hawks would contend next year, I'm okay with keeping the most of the core.

However, my premise is that it will at least take until 2020 for the Hawks to contend. Maybe even 2021. Who will be viable at that time? It will be Toews, Saad, Cat, Strome. Perlini, Kahun, Kane, Kampf, Joker, Forsling, Hayden, Fortin, and Sikura.

Unfortunately, in 2-3 years, I'm pretty sure Seabrook, Keith, Crow, and Anisimov will not be worth their cap hit ... if not sooner. I guess Crow can be up for debate. That's what makes them expendable.

As for Murphy, Gus, Saad, Sikura, Hayden, Perlini, Fortin ... the jury is still out.

I'm trying to match our contention timeline to our contracts / performance / age.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Because of the rebuild, I'm pushing out my contention timeline 2-3 years. If you told me that the Hawks would contend next year, I'm okay with keeping the most of the core.

However, my premise is that it will at least take until 2020 for the Hawks to contend. Maybe even 2021. Who will be viable at that time? It will be Toews, Saad, Cat, Strome. Perlini, Kahun, Kane, Kampf, Joker, Forsling, Hayden, Fortin, and Sikura.

Unfortunately, in 2-3 years, I'm pretty sure Seabrook, Keith, Crow, and Anisimov will not be worth their cap hit ... if not sooner. I guess Crow can be up for debate. That's what makes them expendable.

As for Murphy, Gus, Saad, Sikura, Hayden, Perlini, Fortin ... the jury is still out.

I'm trying to match our contention timeline to our contracts / performance / age.

If they draft Hughes next year(with a lotto win), and bring in a big name FA like Stone or Panarin... and one of Boqvist or Mitchell is up... you never know what this team could do. That changes the entire lineup in a big way.

Toews Strome Hughes Kampf down the middle
Kane, Saad, Hayden, Cat, Kahun, Perlini as your top 9 wings.
Potential for Panarin or Stone mixed into there.
The 4th line may have guys like Sikura and Kahun on it...
That's a talented bunch, IMO.

Keith Joker
Murphy Forsling
Mitchell Seabs
Gus

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

maybe i am being foolish or naive. but i think that the overall shift from loosing to actually winning can be 1 yr away. internally we have the prospects and it is only needing of grabbing that momentum of doing a fast tweak.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They have no issues with cap space. They over $20m to spend going into next season. Why would they move Toews, Kane, or Keith when there's no need, and they're still very much solid NHL players?

Chicago Blackhawks 2019 Salary Cap
You guys keep looking at cap space for 2019. Our timeline has shifted. Call me crazy, but I don' think we're going to be legitimate contenders in 2019. I'm looking at our cap space 2, 3, and 4 years out when we still have Toews, Kane, Saad, Keith, Seabrook, Murphy, Anisimov, etc. unfortunately contract ... while trying to sign Panarin and extend some of our better younger players.

You guys keep looking at 2019 as a legitimate year to contend again. IMO, the timeline has shifted ... thus my cap projections are much more forward looking. I'm trying to match our more realistic timeline to our talent / contract / performance.

If you think the Hawks can contend next year, you roll the dice with this roster. If I had my choice, I'm not rolling the dice next year.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You guys keep looking at cap space for 2019. Our timeline has shifted. Call me crazy, but I don' think we're going to be legitimate contenders in 2019. I'm looking at our cap space 2, 3, and 4 years out when we still have Toews, Kane, Saad, Keith, Seabrook, Murphy, Anisimov, etc. unfortunately contract ... while trying to sign Panarin and extend some of our better younger players.

You guys keep looking at 2019 as a legitimate year to contend again. IMO, the timeline has shifted ... thus my cap projections are much more forward looking. I'm trying to match our more realistic timeline to our talent / contract / performance.

If you think the Hawks can contend next year, you roll the dice with this roster. If I had my choice, I'm not rolling the dice next year.

Pretty sure we've discussed this before, but you do realize the Hawks have $31M in cap space in 2020-2021 and $43M in 2021-2022, right?? And the cap will most certainly jump again with the Seattle expansion...

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If they draft Hughes next year(with a lotto win), and bring in a big name FA like Stone or Panarin... and one of Boqvist or Mitchell is up... you never know what this team could do. That changes the entire lineup in a big way.

Toews Strome Hughes Kampf down the middle
Kane, Saad, Hayden, Cat, Kahun, Perlini as your top 9 wings.
Potential for Panarin or Stone mixed into there.
The 4th line may have guys like Sikura and Kahun on it...
That's a talented bunch, IMO.

Keith Joker
Murphy Forsling
Mitchell Seabs
Gus

See my quoted post from earlier(quoted again here). This team could be very good next year, IMO. It's not outside the realm of possibility that this team can contend next year, depending on how things go in FA and with the draft lotto. I would love to land Hughes and watch HF melt down if the Hawks immediately become an unstoppable force again for another decade. :laugh:

Reactions: LDF

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
maybe i am being foolish or naive. but i think that the overall shift from loosing to actually winning can be 1 yr away. internally we have the prospects and it is only needing of grabbing that momentum of doing a fast tweak.
And if that's your premise, I completely understand why you want to keep the current core.

I just have different assumptions than you, Chihawks10, pez, etc. I get why people would be excited with our forwards with Hughes and Panarin ... and a healthy Crow. However, IMO, our blue line is going to take longer to fix. As everyone knows, blue line is critical for any Stanley Cup run.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And if that's your premise, I completely understand why you want to keep the current core.

I just have different assumptions than you, Chihawks10, pez, etc. I get why people would be excited with our forwards with Hughes and Panarin ... and a healthy Crow. However, IMO, our blue line is going to take longer to fix. As everyone knows, blue line is critical for any Stanley Cup run.

Do you see a lot of issues with this?

Keith Joker
Murphy Forsling
Mitchell Seabs
Gus

If Joker continues his current development trend, and Mitchell is who we think he is... that's a pretty damn good D corps.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

for me, it is being selfish thought process..... i am too freaking old to wait .... period.

but lets look at the minimum, find and bring in a #1 top pairing d-man, a trade and then the final chip is a great draft. it can be done.... i am not even mentioning those prospects knocking on the door on Madison .

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i forgot to add one important thing. i need to wrap my mind and hopes that CC is still and will be the man in the nets.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
i forgot to add one important thing. i need to wrap my mind and hopes that CC is still and will be the man in the nets.

If not, they have some guys ready to make a push for the #1, IMO. I think Delia and/or Nalimov will battle for it with CC next year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If not, they have some guys ready to make a push for the #1, IMO. I think Delia and/or Nalimov will battle for it with CC next year.
bottom line, worst case scenario is fa and salary cap space to add to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->