Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
see I don’t see it that way. The third line was always a scoring line because the 1st line was that combo line. It would play 50/50 with the opposing team’s top scoring line while the kane line drew the opposing team’s best defense and the third line would just blow the bottom 6 out of the water.

But there were almost always at least decent two way players/centers on those third lines, they were never strictly sheltered offensive lines.

Vermette, Bolland, even Shaw for a bit.

EDIT: @Jay haller looking back at usage and ice time, it looks like you’re right about usage. It looks like the last third line center that played a key PK role was Bolland. But still, a lot of those third lines had solid to good two-way guys, almost all better than Strome.

Last edited:

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
But there were almost always at least decent two way players/centers on those third lines, they were never strictly sheltered offensive lines.

that vermette line had baby Teuvo and old sharp neither would be considered defensive dynamo at that point. Vermette’s real value was he maybe was the best faceoff guy in hockey at the time which allowed them not to trot out toews for every faceoff.

Sidenote: that 15 team probably had 7 forwards (probably 10 if you count black aces) that were/are plus forwards you could put consistently on the PK.

This roster has 5 forwards at most

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
JC also doesnt matchup as hard as Q did with all those teams. He wants 4 lines that can be rolled in all situations not necessarily ones that have a designated roles.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
that vermette line had baby Teuvo and old sharp neither would be considered defensive dynamo at that point. Vermette’s real value was he maybe was the best faceoff guy in hockey at the time which allowed them not to trot out toews for every faceoff.

Sidenote: that 15 team probably had 7 forwards (probably 10 if you count black aces) that were/are plus forwards you could put consistently on the PK.

This roster has 5 forwards at most

Ya, but I think even that version of TT and Sharp was better defensively than Strome, certainly not defensive dynamos though.

Also agree those teams had more forwards that could PK.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
JC also doesnt matchup as hard as Q did with all those teams. He wants 4 lines that can be rolled in all situations not necessarily ones that have a designated roles.

which is why having a unbalanced lines is bad and what’s the biggest problem right now.

Reactions: Muffinalt

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
What's the market value for Strome? He needs to go. Him and DeBrincat have been next to useless. Package them for something sexy at draft day.

Strome, I can get on board with...the Cat? Just a year from 40 goals....he's still a kid. Unless it is for an overpayment, I doubt we get something back for him that does not have flaws all of its own.

A package? Maybe Edmonton....lol

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

all those cup teams where almost perfectly balanced. As even with as much lineswapping Q did.

look at 15

bickell-Toews-Hossa
Saad-Richards-Kane
Teuvo-Vermette-sharp
Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw

Sharp-toews-Hossa
Saad-Handzus-kane
Bickell-Bolland-Shaw
Frolik-Kruger-Stalberg

We all know ‘10 had something like 7 top line guys on it and a top pairing Dman playing forward. Dave Tippett could win the cup with that team.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

A healthy and properly motivated Shaw right now over Strome in the press box would tilt the ice in our favor a good bit and make "rolling 4 lines" more a reality than just a goal.

Strome looked better than he did in the regular season, IMO, as he was a bit harder on the walls and a little more tenacious in their zone. And, with that he got 1 point and was a -3 (worst on the team) against the Oilers.

Dude is a problem who gets more exposed in the playoffs.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
A healthy and properly motivated Shaw right now over Nylander in the press box would tilt the ice in our favor a good bit and make "rolling 4 lines" more a reality than just a goal.

Strome looked better than he did in the regular season, IMO, as he was a bit harder on the walls and a little more tenacious in their zone. And, with that he got 1 point and was a -3 (worst on the team) against the Oilers.

Dude is a problem who gets more exposed in the playoffs.

fixed it for you and ftr I like Nylander.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
fixed it for you and ftr I like Nylander.

Nah, a good C who can keep possession and play a defensive oriented game is simply more important than the winger's faults at the talent level of these guys. Nylander isn't expected to be Hossa, he's simply expected to maintain. For that matter, Strome isn't worth sheltering given what he brings to the game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
A healthy, 40ish point Shaw would be a great substitute in our top 9 for Strome. Not sure he'd be playing C but talent and playstyle wise i'd be fine with it.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Nah, a good C who can keep possession and play a defensive oriented game is simply more important than the winger's faults at the talent level of these guys. Nylander isn't expected to be Hossa, he's simply expected to maintain. For that matter, Strome isn't worth sheltering given what he brings to the game.

except Shaw isn’t really a center. His best role would be to put him with Dach and Kane. He’s not going to be a shutdown guy but he brings a guy who creates space and has a little bit of finish in his game. Along with at the same time let’s you roll a caggiula Strome Debrincat line which lengthens your lineup.

Nylander because he has shown very little/no ability to score a goal he’s not really a good fit with this lineup. Because a Nylander-Shaw-caggiula would honestly be legit terrible.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
except Shaw isn’t really a center. His best role would be to put him with Dach and Kane. He’s not going to be a shutdown guy but he brings a guy who creates space and has a little bit of finish in his game. Along with at the same time let’s you roll a caggiula Strome Debrincat line which lengthens your lineup.

Nylander because he has shown very little/no ability to score a goal he’s not really a good fit with this lineup. Because a Nylander-Shaw-caggiula would honestly be legit terrible.
Why? I never get why peiple right off guys like that despite good results. Nylander really had his beat stretches on the 4th line of Nylander-Smith-Carptenter. Strome may be one that can't do anything on a 4th line but thats not the case with a guy who can be speedy still

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

except Nylander has only a slightly better goal scorer at the nhl level than Sikura and this lineup needs some secondary scoring Shaw at the wing lets you move debrincat to play with Strome.

Putting Shaw over Strome at the third center basically shortens your roster as a Shaw and caggiula are basically energy guys with varying degrees of offensive upside and Nylander looks so far as a two way passing forward than a goal scoring wing.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
except Nylander has only a slightly better goal scorer at the nhl level than Sikura and this lineup needs some secondary scoring Shaw at the wing lets you move debrincat to play with Strome.

Putting Shaw over Strome at the third center basically shortens your roster as a Shaw and caggiula are basically energy guys with varying degrees of offensive upside and Nylander looks so far as a two way passing forward than a goal scoring wing.

sorry I repeated myself

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
except Shaw isn’t really a center.

He's still perfectly apt at the position. Moreover, in lieu of "rolling 4 lines" he's a WAY more complete player than Strome no matter how you analyze it. Plus, he's brings it in the playoffs, the guy is all effort. Huge upgrade over what we've seen of Strome.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He's still perfectly apt at the position. Moreover, in lieu of "rolling 4 lines" he's a WAY more complete player than Strome no matter how you analyze it. Plus, he's brings it in the playoffs, the guy is all effort. Huge upgrade over what we've seen of Strome.

except as we just saw short lineups don’t win the playoffs.

benching a guy who’s proven he’s a better goal scorer while also providing some secondary playmaking is move valuable than a scoosh better 2 way play.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
except as we just saw short lineups don’t win the playoffs.

benching a guy who’s proven he’s a better goal scorer while also providing some secondary playmaking is move valuable than a scoosh better 2 way play.

Short lineup my ***.

A center who can't keep up in playoff hockey hurts any team unless the guy is putting up major points. Strome, as it is, is a net negative and most of his goals come from lazy play/mistakes on the other end...mistakes which top tier playoff teams rarely make.

If you don't think Strome was exposed as a poor playoff performer and center against the Oilers...just watch him try and take on VGK depth. It could get real ugly.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Short lineup my ***.

A center who can't keep up in playoff hockey hurts any team unless the guy is putting up major points. Strome, as it is, is a net negative and most of his goals come from lazy play/mistakes on the other end...mistakes which top tier playoff teams rarely make.

If you don't think Strome was exposed as a poor playoff performer and center against the Oilers...just watch him try and take on VGK depth. It could get real ugly.

Nylander has equally shown absolutely nothing.

I’d rather go with proof then feelings in any hypothetical which won’t happen. Strome’s track record is miles longer than Nylander’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad