Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So I thought of a few scenarios where the lineup could work without having Strome at 3C, but I don’t think any are ideal. Here are my meh scenarios:

1. Keep Strome with Kane, put Dach into Saad’s role on the first line and let Dach take some of the draws. DeBrincat either plays with Strome and Kane, or on the third line.

2. Put Dach between Kubalik and Saad on the first line, move Toews down to the third line with some combo of DeBrincat, Nylander, and Caggiula.

3. Put Strome in Saad’s spot on the first line in the event Saad is moved this offseason.

4. Move Dach back to 3C.

We are going to breakup our best line to put Strome in a better position?

No thanks.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Ya, that’s kind of how I see it too. You basically need to have a sheltered second and sheltered third line then.

You don’t have to shelter a Dach/Kane line with if suter is really a saad lite but if he is it probably makes more sense to go with Debrincat and Dach

and then make the sheltered line Kane Strome and Nylander/Laf

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
When its producing a lot its taking advantage of matchups. When it's not scoring its sheltered

Isn’t that kind of the same thing though? By sheltered, I mean it’s not a line you’re intentionally putting up against top competition. You throw the Toews line right at top competition, you almost always try to keep the Kane line away from it — especially in the defensive zone.

If you have a Strome/DeBrincat third line, that’s another line where you’re basically doing the same exact thing.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
____ - Toews - Kubalik
____ - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - ____
____ - Kampf - Carpenter

Fill in the rest with Saad, Nylander, Caggiula, Suter, Kurashev, Highmore, FAs, trades, etc

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
____ - Toews - Kubalik
____ - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - ____
____ - Kampf - Carpenter

Fill in the rest with Saad, Nylander, Caggiula, Suter, Kurashev, Highmore, FAs, trades, etc

This is a Strome thread so I would like to remove him from line 3 and throw him in the recycling bin.

Reactions: Rolo

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Small sample size but so far Strome not giving me much to suggest we keep him unless its for a cap friendly deal. You don't give up Murphy or Saad or Kubalik for Strome.

It doesn’t make sense keeping him even for a cheap price as he is still occupying a spot in the roster and every spot needs to be filled with someone who can actually have an impact on the team. He is not a 3rd liner and there is no place for him anywhere else with Dach taking that #2 spot now. We need a fast reliable shutdown 3rd liner with 15G/30P numbers in that spot, IMO that improves the team dramatically.

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
It doesn’t make sense keeping him even for a cheap price as he is still occupying a spot in the roster and every spot needs to be filled with someone who can actually have an impact on the team. He is not a 3rd liner and there is no place for him anywhere else with Dach taking that #2 spot now. We need a fast reliable shutdown 3rd liner with 15G/30P numbers in that spot, IMO that improves the team dramatically.

lol at that “third liner” is a thing the hawks haven’t used a “traditional” third checking line in a freaking decade.

It’s always been a scoring line.

The problem is there’s no balance on the second line. Because Kane is pretty much only scoring

So, the solution is to load up the second line
and submarine the third line because

Strome can’t carry a line, Nylander hasn’t shown nearly enough finish at this point and caggiula just doesn’t do enough playing a strict 2way game to cover for both Kane and Strome

Reactions: ClydeLee

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It doesn’t make sense keeping him even for a cheap price as he is still occupying a spot in the roster and every spot needs to be filled with someone who can actually have an impact on the team. He is not a 3rd liner and there is no place for him anywhere else with Dach taking that #2 now. We need a fast reliable shutdown 3rd liner with 15G/30P numbers in that spot, IMO that improves the team dramatically.

I pretty much agree with this. A 3C that can kill penalties and still play on the second PP unit I think makes the team better. Even if that guy only puts up 30 points.
spot

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
lol at that “third liner” is a thing the hawks haven’t used a “traditional” third checking line in a freaking decade.

It’s always been a scoring line.

The problem is there’s no balance on the second line. Because Kane is pretty much only scoring

So, the solution is to load up the second line
and submarine the third line because

Strome can’t carry a line, Nylander hasn’t shown nearly enough finish at this point and caggiula just doesn’t do enough playing a strict 2way game to cover for both Kane and Strome

The third line has been a combo checking and scoring line, at least that’s the way it was when the Hawks were competitive.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting you make it a strict checking line. Look at the Caps third line, I think that’s a good example of a line that can shut down while also contributing offensively.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
basically what you described is David Kampf.

I didn’t though. I described a Lars Eller type.

Blackhawks suggested the 30 point guy, and I said even if it were that low, it’d still be better if he could also contribute on the second PP unit.

But I think a Lars Eller type 3C makes this team better than having Strome lead a strictly offense third line.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
What's the market value for Strome? He needs to go. Him and DeBrincat have been next to useless. Package them for something sexy at draft day.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
The third line has been a combo checking and scoring line, at least that’s the way it was when the Hawks were competitive.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting you make it a strict checking line. Look at the Caps third line, I think that’s a good example of a line that can shut down while also contributing offensively.

see I don’t see it that way. The third line was always a scoring line because the 1st line was that combo line. It would play 50/50 with the opposing team’s top scoring line while the kane line drew the opposing team’s best defense and the third line would just blow the bottom 6 out of the water.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
What's the market value for Strome? He needs to go. Him and DeBrincat have been next to useless. Package them for something sexy at draft day.

Cat has been playing well in the playoffs, yes not as well as he can play but he hasn’t made any dumb mistakes, his passing and cycling are good, he is still shooting the puck, he will get back to form no need to trade him now, let’s hope he breaks out with a few goals this next series. Strome on the other hand...

Reactions: Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad