Dylan "Stromboli" Strome Appreciation Thread 4

Will this thread be shutdown?

• Total voters

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
These past few games Strome's absence hasn't crossed my mind even once. Not saying that for the sake of taking a dig at the guy, but just the reality that he's completely failed at carving out a place for himself with us.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
I sat down with a cup of coffee this morning, cruised to HF Hawks and saw a Dylan "Stromboli" Strome Appreciation thread and thought, "what the f--ohhh yeah, Dylan Strome still plays for the Hawks..."

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
These past few games Strome's absence hasn't crossed my mind even once. Not saying that for the sake of taking a dig at the guy, but just the reality that he's completely failed at carving out a place for himself with us.
This was his year. Still time left but not going well

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
At this point I’m not sure it’s worth protecting him and exposing other players which are having an impact on the team. I don’t know who exactly needs to be protected from the forward group but Suter, Hagel, Carpenter all make a difference. Most of the time Strome is invisible.

I was hoping this would be the year he would try asset himself but it looks like more of the same with him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
At this point I’m not sure it’s worth protecting him and exposing other players which are having an impact on the team. I don’t know who exactly needs to be protected from the forward group but Suter, Hagel, Carpenter all make a difference. Most of the time Strome is invisible.

I was hoping this would be the year he would try asset himself but it looks like more of the same with him.

Send him to a rebuilding team like Detroit for a pick/prospect before giving him away for free...He's a flawed player but he's still a top 9 center with the right linemates.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Send him to a rebuilding team like Detroit for a pick/prospect before giving him away for free...He's a flawed player but he's still a top 9 center with the right linemates.
I wonder if you take a chance he won’t be picked. I suspect teams won’t be too keen on acquiring players that will have to be protected in the draft. If he could get passed in the draft he might have more value next season in a trade.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wonder if you take a chance he won’t be picked. I suspect teams won’t be too keen on acquiring players that will have to be protected in the draft. If he could get passed in the draft he might have more value next season in a trade.
If Strome were to be exposed, Seattle would take him without a doubt. That would be really stupid.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If Strome were to be exposed, Seattle would take him without a doubt. That would be really stupid.

We are already in a meh spot for the expansion draft regardless. At least one of our Dmen need to be traded

Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook*(depends if he even waives or meets the GP requirement) 3 or 4 spots

DeBrincat, Strome, Carpenter, Nylander, Hagel makes the 7 forwards requirement

(Wallmark, Janmark, etc are all free agents so they arent worth protecting)

then one or two of Murphy, Zadorov, DeHaan (Haan is likely the odd man out here)

Or do the 8 skater route which is much worse by far since more players get exposed.

Kane, Toews, Keith, Murphy, DeBrincat, Zadrov, Hagel, Strome?

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
When the game was wide open in the first 10 or so contests this year Strome looked better. When things tightened up to more contested ice he reverted to invisible status.

He'll be 24 in a few days with almost 200 games in the NHL and no sign of a commitment to development beyond flashes of improvement followed by regression. No thanks.

Let's focus on the motivated youth and keep scouting, get Dach back then use free agency or trade. These folks in the toolbox are just that, nice tools until you find a better option. Kane, Dach, Kurashev, Cat, Kubalik, Hagel, Kampf, then to a lesser extent Suter/Janmark are willing to game. You've got a good role player in Carpy too for the time being.

IMO, the room UP here on offense is through higher end proven talent that's ready to play an nhl caliber game so you can bump your depth chart. Thus, we can afford to lose a one-trick pony like Strome.

Reactions: Fortyfives

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Just chiming in here from the AZ boards.

I feel like the biggest issue with Strome is that he does not know how to deal with adversity at all, and the second item is that I think that he was propped up in juniors, which resulted in him looking better than he really is.

For the first statement, AZ added some players like Galchenyuk and referenced that they would be given opportunities at C. It seems like Strome did not ready himself for the idea of competing for his job. If someone else is brought in, I would perceive that as a slight against me, and use it to show that the front office is mistaken. That just never seemed to happen.

For the second statement, he is not a driver of play on his line. I believe that he and DeBrincat were paired together in Erie, and because he was behind McDavid in the pecking order, he would consistently face the non-primary line. In his D+1 year, he is already so far ahead of others (possibly peaked early relative to peers) that this would not show up.

On paper, it seems like he should be progressing, but it appears that he has stalled out unless he changes his approach from "Happy to be here," to "Wanting to be here."

Just my two cents.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Just chiming in here from the AZ boards.

I feel like the biggest issue with Strome is that he does not know how to deal with adversity at all, and the second item is that I think that he was propped up in juniors, which resulted in him looking better than he really is.

For the first statement, AZ added some players like Galchenyuk and referenced that they would be given opportunities at C. It seems like Strome did not ready himself for the idea of competing for his job. If someone else is brought in, I would perceive that as a slight against me, and use it to show that the front office is mistaken. That just never seemed to happen.

For the second statement, he is not a driver of play on his line. I believe that he and DeBrincat were paired together in Erie, and because he was behind McDavid in the pecking order, he would consistently face the non-primary line. In his D+1 year, he is already so far ahead of others (possibly peaked early relative to peers) that this would not show up.

On paper, it seems like he should be progressing, but it appears that he has stalled out unless he changes his approach from "Happy to be here," to "Wanting to be here."

Just my two cents.
Good post, and I think you’re spot on about being unable to handle adversity. When Colliton moved him to wing, he wore his emotions about the move on his sleeve around the media according to some of the Hawks’ beat reporters.

In a sport where guys pretty much give the media nothing but hunky dorey lines, I think that tells you a lot about his mindset. If you’re that upset over playing wing for a few games that the entire beat knows it, that’s bad.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Good post, and I think you’re spot on about being unable to handle adversity. When Colliton moved him to wing, he wore his emotions about the move on his sleeve around the media according to some of the Hawks’ beat reporters.

In a sport where guys pretty much give the media nothing but hunky dorey lines, I think that tells you a lot about his mindset. If you’re that upset over playing wing for a few games that the entire beat knows it, that’s bad.

The weird thing about it is he has a brother in the NHL whom he could rely on asking questions about these sorts of things.

There's two ways that this could be approached:

1. You use family as a guide for what to do/what not to do. Let their experiences help shape ways to improve.

2. The family name becomes something that is synonymous with your outlook. Maybe because of the name on his jersey, it became a foregone conclusion that he would be an NHLer, and therefore, the success came before the work was put in, so to speak.

When he got traded to Chicago, the familiarity with DeBrincat and getting a new start with individuals he knew could have been both the best and worst thing to happen. Best because of that chemistry and appreciation for the player. Worst because if success happens without recognizing the changes that need to occur, the player believes that the path that is traveled is now safe, and they get stuck in the same routine. For lack of better wording, "If you don't keep 'doing it better,' your competition will." In this case the competition is that which is on the team currently and fighting for minutes at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00