Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think that, often people that didn't like the McIlrath selection and wanted someone else, who really had like seen Fowler or Tarasenko? Or McIlrath for that matter? Some had, but 100s, many 100s, of posters over the year come across as criticizing the pick with indignation since even they themselves "knew" it was a bad pick. Something I guess a huge majority of them had no way of knowing since they hadn't seen these kids play.

Can't speak for everyone but since the team was STARVED for offense back then (come a long way haven't we lol) I wanted offense.

That is why I hated the pick.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think that, often people that didn't like the McIlrath selection and wanted someone else, who really had like seen Fowler or Tarasenko? Or McIlrath for that matter? Some had, but 100s, many 100s, of posters over the year come across as criticizing the pick with indignation since even they themselves "knew" it was a bad pick. Something I guess a huge majority of them had no way of knowing since they hadn't seen these kids play.

Think a lot of people go off the scouting rankings more than anything.

Central scouting had McIlrath at 17th among NA skaters, Fowler #5. Tarasenko was the #2 Euro skater.

Then again, we had Del Zotto who just came off a 37 point rookie season, and Cherepanov had passed away at the beginning of the 08-09 season. I don't know how willing the Rangers were to use another first rounder on a Russian player after that.

The Rangers ****ed up for sure. They drafted McIlrath because Tortorella was here, and Sather and the FO were sick of watching Lundqvist get run or having traffic in his crease - so they drafted a mean kid who could play tough. They went for a need instead of BPA. We know it was the wrong thing to do now.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

For everyone who hated the McIlrath pick, there was someone who hated the Stepan pick, or the Kreider pick. Hell, I'm sure if you look back far enough, someone was probably pissed we wasted a 7th round pick on a goalie in 2000 ;)

This horse gets beaten to death far too often. This is the Ramsay Snow of internet discussions.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com

Central scouting had McIlrath at 17th among NA skaters, Fowler #5. Tarasenko was the #2 Euro skater.

Then again, we had Del Zotto who just came off a 37 point rookie season, and Cherepanov had passed away at the beginning of the 08-09 season. I don't know how willing the Rangers were to use another first rounder on a Russian player after that.

For everyone who hated the McIlrath pick, there was someone who hated the Stepan pick, or the Kreider pick. Hell, I'm sure if you look back far enough, someone was probably pissed we wasted a 7th round pick on a goalie in 2000 ;)

This horse gets beaten to death far too often. This is the Ramsay Snow of internet discussions.

People wanted JT miller traded as late as this deadline and the fact we had just lost the Russian kid really had to way heavy on their thinking

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The pick came a couple months after Gaborik got jumped by Carcillo and nobody did anything about it. There was a lot of complaining that year, both on the board and in the media, about how soft the team was. Folks like to put that in the rear view.

I don't think many people liked the pick, but plenty of people have taken their frustrations out on McIlrath, as if he was somehow responsible for the Rangers taking him ahead of better options. That, coupled with a lot of people acting as if he hasn't improved, or flat out lying about seeing him look like crap, has really run it's course. At least it's easy to ignore those people now.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He's all of 23 years old (and that birthday happened a month ago). If he's not in the NHL by 25/26 then I'll declare him a bust. He'll be up before that. Maybe somewhere else, but he'll be in the NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The Rangers ****ed up for sure. They drafted McIlrath because Tortorella was here, and Sather and the FO were sick of watching Lundqvist get run or having traffic in his crease - so they drafted a mean kid who could play tough. They went for a need instead of BPA. We know it was the wrong thing to do now.

FWIW most people (and I include myself) had no idea of who Stepan was and taking him in the 2nd round caused a lot of consternation on these boards. Kreider OTOH was really a guy on the rise in his draft year. He was a physical freak even as a junior at his New England prep school--Phillips Andover. The thing was he did not have anywhere near the competition that most other players in his draft had. That was a big concern for some. Personally there were two guys that I wanted most in that draft--and Zack Kassian as most would have predicted never reached us. Kreider was the next guy for me. Do that draft again and Kreider is very easily in the top 10. Rangers could not have made a better pick IMO--there's no one behind him in that draft that I'd take over him--including O'Reilly (No. 33) and Vatanen (No. 106). I would probably have him at No. 5 now after Tavares, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson and Duchene and ahead of guys like Evander Kane, Leddy and Kadri and definitely ahead of Kassian.

Kreider got ragged throughout his time at Boston College. Posters here for the most part were never happy with his stats. Some hated BC and how Jerry York strategized and used his players. Then Kreider struggled his first couple years as a pro. To me he's always had great upside and I still thinks there's quite a bit of upside left.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
FWIW most people (and I include myself) had no idea of who Stepan was and taking him in the 2nd round caused a lot of consternation on these boards. Kreider OTOH was really a guy on the rise in his draft year. He was a physical freak even as a junior at his New England prep school--Phillips Andover. The thing was he did not have anywhere near the competition that most other players in his draft had. That was a big concern for some. Personally there were two guys that I wanted most in that draft--and Zack Kassian as most would have predicted never reached us. Kreider was the next guy for me. Do that draft again and Kreider is very easily in the top 10. Rangers could not have made a better pick IMO--there's no one behind him in that draft that I'd take over him--including O'Reilly (No. 33) and Vatanen (No. 106). I would probably have him at No. 5 now after Tavares, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson and Duchene and ahead of guys like Evander Kane, Leddy and Kadri and definitely ahead of Kassian.

Kreider got ragged throughout his time at Boston College. Posters here for the most part were never happy with his stats. Some hated BC and how Jerry York strategized and used his players. Then Kreider struggled his first couple years as a pro. To me he's always had great upside and I still thinks there's quite a bit of upside left.

I had zero qualms (and actually was pretty stoked) about Stepan after watching him at the World Juniors. I was probably more worried about Kreider.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
True. I remember people saying this about Klein a few seasons ago.

FWIW -

Klein:

Draft year: '03
NHL Debut: 05-06 (2 games)
Full NHL Year: 08-09
Total AHL reg season games: 220

McIlrath:

Draft year: '10
NHL Debut: 13-14 (2 games)
Full NHL Year: TBD
Total AHL reg season games: 182

Yes, McIlrath was a top 10 pick. No, Klein was not. Yes, the Rangers should've done better with that pick. No, that does not mean that just because McIlrath isn't in the NHL right now that his window is closed.

The Rangers ****ed up, no argument. They filled a need with a top 10 pick instead of going BPA. That's ridiculously terrible asset management in the NHL draft. Sort of like drafting a goalie 6th overall... oh, wait ;)

But, to say his window is closed is ludicrous. He's going to be in the NHL next year either as a 7th guy here fighting for a top-6 assignment, or a top-6 guy somewhere else. He's logging hard minutes in the AHL on the top-pair of a team in the ECF. His progression this season has been astronomical. Not so shocking that it came in a year where he finally stayed healthy.

Not many teams in the NHL can boast Keith Yandle and Kevin Klein as their third pairing. Our defense is ridiculously talented and will be tough for any prospect to crack, not just McIlrath.

My point is if McIlrath is really that guy you wouldn't have had to go out and trade for Yandle in the first place. Granted, they are completely different players... but again - i just don't believe the kid is an NHL player. Ill be willing to eat crow on this for sure but regardless of where he was selected in the draft I just don't see the talent level needed to be a full time NHL defenseman. But again, im just a fan, not a scout. I see all of your points and they are good ones, but I just don't believe in the kid's game.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
He's all of 23 years old (and that birthday happened a month ago). If he's not in the NHL by 25/26 then I'll declare him a bust. He'll be up before that. Maybe somewhere else, but he'll be in the NHL.

So there's still hope for Jessiman:sarcasm:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
My point is if McIlrath is really that guy you wouldn't have had to go out and trade for Yandle in the first place. Granted, they are completely different players... but again - i just don't believe the kid is an NHL player. Ill be willing to eat crow on this for sure but regardless of where he was selected in the draft I just don't see the talent level needed to be a full time NHL defenseman. But again, im just a fan, not a scout. I see all of your points and they are good ones, but I just don't believe in the kid's game.

I'm not saying this to be difficult, I am generally curious as I'd like to hear your POV if the answer is yes...

Do you watch Hartford often?

I don't. Handful of games here and there. But, from what I read about the people who are watching him, they see a future NHL player. I'd be curious to hear from someone who watches McIlrath a lot and believes the opposite.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I had zero qualms (and actually was pretty stoked) about Stepan after watching him at the World Juniors. I was probably more worried about Kreider.

Pre the year Stepan was drafted--he wasn't really that high on most draft lists. That's what my post was about. Then we drafted him--then he went to Wisconsin and on to the WJC USA team. By that time pretty much everyone was on board with him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm not saying this to be difficult, I am generally curious as I'd like to hear your POV if the answer is yes...

I don't. Handful of games here and there. But, from what I read about the people who are watching him, they see a future NHL player. I'd be curious to hear from someone who watches McIlrath a lot and believes the opposite.

Probably won't find that person.

And there's the disconnect.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

So what? Plenty of prospects look good in the AHL. McIlrath's time there is just about over. Fans will have a much better idea if he can make the NHL come September. Until then, it's hypothetical and just the same old, same old back and forth of the same opinions. And that's all they are--opinions.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So what? Plenty of prospects look good in the AHL. McIlrath's time there is just about over. Fans will have a much better idea if he can make the NHL come September. Until then, it's hypothetical and just the same old, same old back and forth of the same opinions. And that's all they are--opinions.

But how are you (and I say you generally not you specifically) able to have an opinion if you aren't watching him play?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

How many kids did this organization ruin by bringing them up to soon and riding them to hard on elevated expectations. I want McI to be playing in the NHL now but I like that the Rangers are allowing him to develop.

We continue to see a trend in the NHL particularly with defensemen that unless they are phenoms they are not really seeing the NHL until their mid 20's. Is that such a terrible thing?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

McIlrath isnt a bust and he won't be a bust

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
But how are you (and I say you generally not you specifically) able to have an opinion if you aren't watching him play?

Actually, I really don't have an opinion, other than the fact the Ranger blueline is very crowded and I'm not sure his style of play will translate well given AVs game plan. When I said "McIlrath's time is almost over" I meant in the AHL. He's not going to be called anymore this season. Either he's going to be traded, or he has to win a job in training camp. I don't think the Rangers will keep him as a 7th defenseman--I just don't think his game is well suited for that role. But, it's the organization's decision. I don't have any emotional ties to him. If he makes it, I'll be happy to watch him play next season, if not, hopefully the Rangers don't lose him for nothing.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I know beating a dead horse brings a lot of entertainment value for some here, but other posters have got it down pat in terms of what happens with McIlrath:

1. He stays on as the 7th D.
2. He gets moved at the draft for a 3rd.
3. They expose him to waivers to send him down next year.

The issues with his game right now are his lateral agility which is still a little deliberate, and his ability to spring a transition attack. Penalties can be an issue, he's gotta stay away from that, and he has since his demotion after that one game showing this year.

Sauer didn't establish himself until six years out of his draft year. Matt Greene, same story, Johnny Boychuck wasn't an NHL player till age 25, similar story with Adam McQuaid.

The Senators have a top 4 guy in Gryba, a 2007 pick who they brough along slowly.

Kevin Klein played AHL games as a 5th year pro.

The core function of a vacuum is to suck... perspectives inside a vacuum are just the same.. they suck.

Question is does McIlrath suck at the NHL level? 3 games isn't enough to tell.. Does he suck at the AHL level? No, definitely not. The Pre-Season games will be a strong telling of how far he's come along.

What do McQuaid, Boychuk, Greene, Sauer, and Klein have in common in regard to draft order?

Hint: They were all taken in the second round

Too many players have come into the league and become top guys on D at 24 and 25. I don't understand how people could ignore this fact.

It was a dumb pick because he was a project, and even if he makes the NHL at some capacity, he going to miss our window.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
trying to fit him into last nights game some where. would he have helped us? answer is probably not.

the bolts are a fast creative team. not sure dylan would have kept up with their speedy forwards. our top 4 looked like clowns all night. scary to think what mcilrath would have looked like.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Can we stop with this guy already. Tampa wod be skating circles around him. If he plays 50 NHL games in his career he will have overachieved at this point

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
trying to fit him into last nights game some where. would he have helped us? answer is probably not.

the bolts are a fast creative team. not sure dylan would have kept up with their speedy forwards. our top 4 looked like clowns all night. scary to think what mcilrath would have looked like.

+1 on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad