Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If he has learned enough since December as you say, by all means, call him up when the need is there. Then lets take another look at him.

And if he can make the team in September...even better, then I'm sold.

You can't really evaluate him at all based on his short NYR stint. Follow some of the people that follow the 'Pack and you'll get a better idea if you can't watch him for yourself (I highly recommend hockey streams.com for AHL/NHL and every other freaking league).

He'll be an NHL player. Question is if it'll be here.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Since it's highly unlikely he's going to called up to play with the Rangers now, this whole conversation is hypothetical until training camp (unless McIlrath is traded in the off-season). The truth is, we don't know if he's good enough to play in the NHL on a regular basis and we won't know until it actually happens.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
If he has learned enough since December as you say, by all means, call him up when the need is there. Then lets take another look at him.

And if he can make the team in September...even better, then I'm sold.

If Boyle remains...which he probably will...the only spot he'd be fighting for in September is 7th man. It's unfortunate, but we're so deep at D that his chance to make the team is limited, especially if Summers stays with the team next year @ 600k.

We'd have to trade away one of our top 6 D-men or maybe even Summers in order for DMac to have a shot here next year.

Wonder if he remains with the Rangers organization next year at all...

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
dylan mcilrath is not better than anyone on the D roster right now. period.

and that includes matt hunwick.

the top 4 are fixtures and kevin klein is a bargain at what he's paid.

we've pursued keith yandle for years.

boyle offers no cap relief if waived.

exactly where does a marginal decision making and so-so skating (within this system) dylan mcilrath enter this equation ?

unless someone has a career ending injury or is traded away, i don't see a spot for mcilrath next fall.

hunwick is your ideal 7th man. he's an nhl dman with good wheels, smarts and is versatile enough to fill in for long stretches and look more than adequate. he's done it. he's proven it in the nhl.

can the same be said for dylan ?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

exactly where does a marginal decision making and so-so skating (within this system) dylan mcilrath enter this equation ?

unless someone has a career ending injury or is traded away, i don't see a spot for mcilrath next fall.

hunwick is your ideal 7th man. he's an nhl dman with good wheels, smarts and is versatile enough to fill in for long stretches and look more than adequate. he's done it. he's proven it in the nhl.

who says Hunwick stays?

because if he doesn't our next best option is some crappy FA Dman, or McIlrath who will probably stick on this tea

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

What are you basing any of this on?

And if Hunwick is that good, and I agree he is, he'll almost certainly lave to be a top 6 d-man somewhere else, just like Diaz did, and just like any smart 7D who's on his way to UFA from a good team would.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
who says Hunwick stays?

because if he doesn't our next best option is some crappy FA Dman, or McIlrath who will probably stick on this tea

McIlrath is at least 10th on the depth chart right now. No way in hell he's on the team next year unless Sather blows it up and trades all our dmen

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt you don't watch him or know a thing about him.. You and 72.8% of this board make comments and yet never watch him play or understand the game.

He sucks. He isn't an NHL caliber player. fighting is completely irrelevant. One of the worst Rangers draft blunders ever.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ

You are 100% correct and that is why he is where he is on the depth chart but he is young and improving. I have no problem waiting for him but I was shocked we didn't deal him at the deadline because we will have to waive him to send him back down in fall. I'm guessing they are hoping he can be #7 next season.

There is always a possible draft day deal as well with us needing picks BADLY.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
"He's consistently improved every year since being drafted"

Is that really all that much of an accomplishment?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He sucks. He isn't an NHL caliber player. fighting is completely irrelevant. One of the worst Rangers draft blunders ever.

Based on what? Do you watch Hartford? Do you think AV cut him close to the end of camp this year because he felt bad for the guy? Do you think everyone who watches Hartford and gives detailed reports of his improvements is just biased in favor of a player they have no connection to whatsoever?

The only people talking about his fighting skill at this point are those who are using it's very existence as some type of shaky evidence that he isn't a solid defensive player.

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
I think we can all agree that barring a trade, he will be in camp next year and will be given a shot to make the club. He has really come along since becoming healthy after his injury.

I would honestly prefer him over Boyle or perhaps even Yandle at this time. Although we all know Yandle will probably be resigned. Both Boyle and Yandle have been turnover machines during this playoff run.

Is it too much to hope that Boyle retires ? His 4.5 million dollar cap hit next season is nasty

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I think we can all agree that barring a trade, he will be in camp next year and will be given a shot to make the club. He has really come along since becoming healthy after his injury.

I would honestly prefer him over Boyle or perhaps even Yandle at this time. Although we all know Yandle will probably be resigned. Both Boyle and Yandle have been turnover machines during this playoff run.

Is it too much to hope that Boyle retires ? His 4.5 million dollar cap hit next season is nasty

On the second part in BOLD...if he retires, the 4.5 mil still goes against the Cap because it is a 35+ contract. The only way to get rid of his Cap hit is for him to agree to be traded or to buy him out...which would still result in a penalty Cap hit of $1.5 mil next season and $1.5 mil again the following season.

Whether or not the Rangers will ask him to agree to a trade or buy him out, I have no idea. Buy out is bad at this point, because we need that extra $1.5 mil for the season following next season...in order to sign Hayes, Kreids, & possibly Yandle. All 3 of those guys...if they perform...will demand raises.

On the first part in BOLD, Boyle started out a bit rough against Pittsburg, but that didn't last long. He's been steady as hell for us since then....with the last game (6-2) being an exception. Staal has been more of a problem, though I feel awful saying that...as he gets tough assignments. Yandle looks like a scared baby trying to play D half the time, but has not really hurt us.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Boyle is not being traded and he's not getting bought out. Could he play better? Sure, but he's OK through most of the season and except for a few hiccups in the playoffs, he's been steady. He needs to get more points, but that can be said of almost everyone.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Boyle is not being traded and he's not getting bought out. Could he play better? Sure, but he's OK through most of the season and except for a few hiccups in the playoffs, he's been steady. He needs to get more points, but that can be said of almost everyone.

I don't believe he's going anywhere, either...and I don't mind him staying for next season. We're also in agreement on his play. He's been fine for the most part.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
McIlrath has to clear waivers to play in Hartford next year, correct? So it's either trade him this off-season or bring him along slowly as the 7th D.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

No. The only player who might be moved is Klein. Can't trade Boyle, we just got Yandle, Staal McD and G aren't going anywhere. Also like Yandle and Boyle are 1000X better than McIlrath. Even if we dump Klein, Kostka Hunwick Allen Summers and Skjei probably still make it over McIlrath.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Or leave him in the AHL where he belongs

McIlrath will be the 7th D if he isn't traded in the offseason (IMO).

The organization has had nothing but good things to say about the kid, and all reports from Hartford are that he's progressing, and my own select viewings of his games this season syncs with that. You don't lose a young 1st round D that's very close to making the big show to keep a guy like Hunwick, even as well as he's played.

He's been staying out of the box, elevating his game in the AHL playoffs, and is in a top pair role there. What else do you realistically want from him?

The Rangers Top-6 D is clogged with vets this season. He was never going to break through this year.

Also, I think the plan when they signed Boyle to a 2 year contract was essentially a bridge to McIlrath being ready to take that slot.

The kid is going to be a NHLer, just relax. He's your classic long-developing, big dman.

Is that what you sign up for in the first round? Of course not, it was a bad pick, but lets try and look at his development independent of where he went in the draft. He's improved every single season since being drafted. Busts stagnate, which McIlrath has shown zero signs of doing. I'm pretty confident he'll be at least a bottom pair, crease clearing SOB in the NHL, and those guys do have value.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Improving from an OHL goon who can barely skate isn't very hard IMO

Your posts are usually well informed, if a little snarky, but this is just a joke.

First, McIlrath was drafted out of the WHL.

Second, his skating has always been decent for a kid his size. The straight line speed has always been there, and his agility/edgework has improved significantly since he was drafted. His skating is not going to keep him out of the NHL.

How much crap are you going to keep throwing at the wall, hoping it sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad