Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I don't think you need to be an amateur scout to notice if a player is improving over a group of games. We all do this with NHL players regularly. You, me, and most of this board has watched almost every home-grown guy on this team today improve.

I don't watch the pack every game by any means, but I try to catch a few games here and there when I can, and I try to keep an eye on a few certain guys that interest me. If what I were seeing didn't match up with what many other people are seeing, including people who watch the pack far more regularly than I do, and people who have in the past provided excellent updates and predictions for our prospects, I wouldn't take it as fact in all honesty. But, in this case, it all does match up.

I don't think you're "hating on him" necessarily, but I think that due to McI's draft position and the other guys who went after, the conversation about him starts on such a bad note that even trying to be unbiased about his improvement over time is framed as being too generous to the kid.

I just don't see what you're basing that last line on at all. You say you don't watch him. You say you're suspect of him because he's in the AHL. And then you say he'll "perhaps" have an NHL career anywhere. IMO, that's not much different than watching someone like Miller a year back and saying well, he hasn't made it yet, so "perhaps" he'll make it period, even though he's in his early 20s and is improving year to year.

For me it's always "The pick was horrible. Absolute joke of a pick. The player is going to be good though. A real terror in the D zone and a real help on the PK in front of the net."

Hopefully the latter comes through and I'm not saying "Too slow to pick up on his man, always beaten to the puck, too many dumb penalties, deer in the headlights when it comes to chipping up or clearing the puck, constantly flounders at the blueline in the O zone."

I admit this is likely to happen too. I think he'll be a good player though.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
He'll never make the squad. Skeji will make it before he does, comical to say the least.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Apparently he has improved mightily over the second half of the season.

But remember, this has been said about him every year since his draft, minus the injury year.

Truth is he's still developing, next year there will be no more excuses.

guess he is no Chicken Sh3t yandle or grampa Boyle

Yet a chicken **** and a grandpa are still more trusted out there than DM.

I understand you are a big fan of his, but lets be realistic. You can like him AND have a sense of reality.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Actually he WILL make the team in 2015. Or another NHL team. He will not pass waivers without SOMEONE taking him for their squad. And regardless of how bad a pick it was, who loves him or who hates him, what Beuk said about him recently has NOT been said about him in any other season:
"Beukeboom: He's playing the best hockey of his professional career. "He's been playing outstanding. He seems to really thrive in the playoff situations. He's playing very physical but at the same time is — knock on wood — he's staying out of the penalty box. He's been one of our most consistent penalty killer with whoever he goes out there with. He's playing a lot of minutes and he's strong and is as strong defensively as he's been as a pro."

"The second-half of this season, he's just taken off. "

He WILL be an NHL defenseman, hopefully if not on the NYR, then not in our division putting our forwards through the boards on a regular basis.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
And regardless of how bad a pick it was, who loves him or who hates him, what Beuk said about him recently has NOT been said about him in any other season

That's a big NOT :D

Whether it's been Beacon or Beuk, every year including his draft year, minus his injury year, they've said his second half was better than his first half.

I hope Beuk is right, this is around the age I predicted he would be ready, anyone could have actually if they knew how and when this player type typically makes it the top level.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Is it really that strange for a young player to gradually improve every year?

Or is it strange simply because we are talking about McIlrath and no discussion can ever be simple?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Is it really that strange for a young player to gradually improve every year?

Or is it strange simply because we are talking about McIlrath and no discussion can ever be simple?

No, but this is not a scoring forward or power Center, he's a project defensive Dman. Years ago I used a guy like Adam McQuaid who plays the type of game at the NHL level that would make Dylan successful at what he's good at, for a reason. McQuaid did not play full time in the big league until he was 25/26. Then he went on to help them win a Cup. Oh and look, Jeff Gorton traded for Mcq when he was with the Bruins.

Next year is big for DM, but Vigneault as coach with a short leash with this type of player, I have serious concerns.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
No, but this is not a scoring forward or power Center, he's a project defensive Dman. Years ago I used a guy like Adam McQuaid who plays the type of game at the NHL level that would make Dylan successful at what he's good at, for a reason. McQuaid did not play full time in the big league until he was 25/26. Then he went on to help them win a Cup. Oh and look, Jeff Gorton traded for Mcquaid when he was with the Bruins.

Boychuk wasn't a regular NHL defenseman till the age of 25/26. There's lots of example's. Yes they weren't 1st rounders and McI probably shouldn't have been either but he was. I think Gorton had a hand in acquiring him as well.

I

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Actually he WILL make the team in 2015. Or another NHL team. He will not pass waivers without SOMEONE taking him for their squad. And regardless of how bad a pick it was, who loves him or who hates him, what Beuk said about him recently has NOT been said about him in any other season:
"Beukeboom: He's playing the best hockey of his professional career. "He's been playing outstanding. He seems to really thrive in the playoff situations. He's playing very physical but at the same time is — knock on wood — he's staying out of the penalty box. He's been one of our most consistent penalty killer with whoever he goes out there with. He's playing a lot of minutes and he's strong and is as strong defensively as he's been as a pro."

"The second-half of this season, he's just taken off. "

He WILL be an NHL defenseman, hopefully if not on the NYR, then not in our division putting our forwards through the boards on a regular basis.

Those are two qualities a good D must have. He'll thrive in playoff situations because the game is played exponentially tighter. I still believe he's not only going to make the team next season, but stick around. He has "late bloomer" written all over him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Those are two qualities a good D must have. He'll thrive in playoff situations because the game is played exponentially tighter. I still believe he's not only going to make the team next season, but stick around. He has "late bloomer" written all over him.

Well "Prodigy" is certainly out of the question at this point.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Hey we all wish that we had drafted some sort of STAR with that pick... but we didn't, and McIlrath's upside (or lack thereof) exists independently of past draft position. It's irrelevant at this point. The whole "long sad tale"/"disappointing pick" aspect is only a factor with people who can not make that logical separation, and thus do not have an unbiased appraisal of the player or his play. If he had been a 5th rounder or undrafted UFA everyone would be excited to see what sort of contribution McIlrath can possibly make next year. The things Beuk is saying about him are the things we normally salivate over when hearing about a young player: playing his best under the pressure of the playoffs, raising his game. He will be an NHLer, next year at least, and may even top out at a 3-4 extremely punishing Dman in a couple of seasons. Or he may bust. You never know. But being that character seems to play a large part in players on the cusp, I would be surprised if he doesn't stick for most of his pro career as a at least a bottom pairing guy. If he doesn't make it here it is more of a testament to the NYR defensive depth than anything else.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
McIlrath is the new Brian Boyle, splitting this board in two halves :laugh:

I wouldn't be too surprised if one of our D, maybe Boyle, was moved this off season for a younger player. With Humwick most likely gone and with injuries there will be opportunities for Skjei and McIlrath.

Wolfy*

you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt you don't watch him or know a thing about him.. You and 72.8% of this board make comments and yet never watch him play or understand the game.

Looks like I stepped on a sore toe here, since you're obviously a big fan having him as your avatar.

I only remember his play on his short stints here. Out of position all the time, and focused on the player instead of the puck. He has a lot to learn imo.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Looks like I stepped on a sore toe here, since you're obviously a big fan having him as your avatar.

I only remember his play on his short stints here. Out of position all the time, and focused on the player instead of the puck. He has a lot to learn imo.

actually you proved Dagoons point. You are basically talking about a player in the here and now that you admit you haven't watched since what December ? which amounted to probably 20 minutes of ice time total and saying he doesn't know how to play hockey and only fights. Which according to the guys who actually ya know watch the pack say not true.

You like many people here just continue a narrative regardless, I can only assume it is so that at some point you hope to say, See I told you so.

When the coach of the pack is saying he is playing his best hockey ever and stepping up in the playoffs and PK'ing you simply dismiss that and go by your evaluation from Dec of 20 minutes of his play.

Personally I wish the kid all the best and hope he can help the big club out. Why root against him because you think the organization should have picked someone else ? Is that his fault ?

Wolfy*

If he has learned enough since December as you say, by all means, call him up when the need is there. Then lets take another look at him.

And if he can make the team in September...even better, then I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad