Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
If you guys have not seen "Red Army" (2014) and EPSN 30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men (2009), you are greatly doing yourself a disservice as hockey fans.

I've seen both, and agree 100%. I was born in 86, and the Miracle on Ice is by far the sporting event I wish I was alive to see. My father said nothing he has seen comes remotely close to how incredible it was. People may hate me for saying this, but I care about an Olympic Gold for USA more than I do a Cup for the Rangers.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I wonder if Girardi getting easier minutes is a product of the coaching staff realizing that he's struggling and trying to ease off him while still trying to give him a chance to "get back into form" (even though he won't, ever), or if it's just a happy accident?

Basically...if they are giving him easier minutes on purpose, then maybe there's some hope that they realize he's performing poorly and we won't be seeing "Dan Girardi #1 defenseman for the New York Rangers" for the next 3 years, one way or the other.

As for McIlrath, it'd probably be better for him and Yandle to get more like 2nd pairing minutes while Staal and Girardi form a "oh god" 3rd pairing that's sheltered or maybe PKs since they might be alright at that

I just hope that Gorton and the rest are looking at McIlrath and seeing the guy they envisioned when they drafted him (and they should be seeing that) and are not willing to move him at this point. I guarantee if they trade him he's going to go on to be a very good defenseman for some team...

Did you see the chart of that pairing? They have been monumentally bad. I don't think our hearts could take that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dylan's got a lot of potential with his shot. Just needs a little bit more development with it. But its hard and is improving. I'm curious if he can get paired with a younger offensive Dman eventually who can feed him pucks. I can't go as far to say that he can grow into a legit triggerman just yet. But, I can see it as a possibility. I think Dylan will probably end up being very respectable for a first rounder. Certainly nowhere near a bust as some people kept doom/glooming a couple years back(same with Miller).

I think he has a really good shot and some very underrated offensive instincts. We are seeing glimpses of it now and I suspect we will see more and more as he plays more. He has shown much better stick handling and passing than advertised. He also does a very good job pinching in on the boards to keep the play alive. I also like that he does not just give up ground both at the offensive blue line and our own blue line. He puts his body on people.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can't wait 'til he's traded at the deadline as some throw in. Would be pretty in-line with how he seems to be treated.

If I'm a GM with a brain, and perhaps an analytics department, looking at Yandle... you better believe I'm looking at bringing Dylan along with him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've seen both, and agree 100%. I was born in 86, and the Miracle on Ice is by far the sporting event I wish I was alive to see. My father said nothing he has seen comes remotely close to how incredible it was. People may hate me for saying this, but I care about an Olympic Gold for USA more than I do a Cup for the Rangers.

That 1980 Miracle was a boost this country desperately needed at the time. There has never been anything to match it in my lifetime including the Rangers cup, Yankees World Series, and Giants Superbowls. I wish they would go back to amateurs playing in the Olympics. It has never felt the same with the professionals playing.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I just hope that Gorton and the rest are looking at McIlrath and seeing the guy they envisioned when they drafted him (and they should be seeing that) and are not willing to move him at this point. I guarantee if they trade him he's going to go on to be a very good defenseman for some team...

Nah, I don't think that is a possibility at this point. They have invested way too much time and effort with Dylan. On top of that, with the poor play of the Defensive corps(specifically guys like Girard, Boyle, and inconsistent Staal)and Yandle apparently leaving: they're not in a position to do that at all. Dylan and(we hope)Skeji will address the defensive personnel issues. Even then the Rangers are going to be in the need for a #1 Dman very soon, imo, in free agency.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Did you see the chart of that pairing? They have been monumentally bad. I don't think our hearts could take that.

I don't know if I would say Staal has been monumentally bad. He has been really inconsistent(many times even in the same game). But Staal has had stretches where he has been good and even occasionally very good.

Dan, not so much.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Can't wait 'til he's traded at the deadline as some throw in. Would be pretty in-line with how he seems to be treated.

If I'm a GM with a brain, and perhaps an analytics department, looking at Yandle... you better believe I'm looking at bringing Dylan along with him.

Its not happening. Not this year at least. Gorton is not Sather and does not require a blockbuster move. I actually think Rangers will be pretty low key this year.

This was the year to let the kids play and get an idea of how are vets are holding up. If there is any significant moves it will be the summer imo.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't know if I would say Staal has been monumentally bad. He has been really inconsistent(many times even in the same game). But Staal has had stretches where he has been good and even occasionally very good.

Dan, not so much.

As a pairing, Staal and Girardi are absolutely awful together, according to advance stats. Their chart together is a significant outlier to the downside. I was referring to that.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
As a pairing, Staal and Girardi are absolutely awful.

That I won't argue. Staal is a guy who needs someone who is either a very mobile, smart, puck moving Damn or a guy who can help with control the puck in the corners physically. Staal often times becomes the guy who has to do all the grunt work on his pairing. Staal is usually good in the corners but he isn't dominating(never has been). He is overworked in that regard.

Dan doesn't really do any of that. Dan is a second pairing Dman whose shortcomings were hidden in a zone defensive system.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO McIlrath has played very well practically every time he's played and should be playing more.

Saying he's our best RD by far is really ****ing reaching though.

Here's something to keep in mind too---of the 20 games that Dylan has played the Rangers record has not been good. It's 7-11-2.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My assumption was he was benched for not covering his man while complaining to the ref.

That being said, I'm sure we'll see him back in the lineup after the asg. I want Boyle in over G/Staal, but we know that won't happen.

McIlrath is better defensively than anyone not named McDonagh and Klein sometimes. Yandle and McD are the only two players on the backend clearly better than him.

AV is a ********. I hope he gets canned simply for his disgusting use age of Yandle and McIlrath this year. I can't handle it anymore.

Boyle is an offensive D. He's not a stay at home--he's not really a PK guy. He's old and he's kind of small. 0 points in his last 10 games played is not good for an offensive D. Note what our power play has done over that time. He's not the only D that gets lots of PWP time but the others have more game in other areas. He's the right guy to take out of the lineup right now.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
IMO McIlrath has played very well practically every time he's played and should be playing more.

Here's something to keep in mind too---of the 20 games that Dylan has played the Rangers record has not been good. It's 7-11-2.

Definitely my favorite argument of all-time.

In 2000-2001, the Rangers were 33-43-5-1 with Leetch in the lineup.

****ing bum.

It's almost as if one player cannot really impact the game that much :dunno:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Correlation is not causation. That stat is a bit misleading because the losses were not caused by Dylan.

What was our teams record record from Nov 23-December 20? You could show almost all our players have had a poor win/loss record in that time period not just Dylan.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

That doesn't really mean anything. McIlrath started playing around the time Hanks numbers stopped being ridiculous and the team had a mini implosion.

The record with Etem in the lineup was 10-8-1 with the Rangers.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
That 1980 Miracle was a boost this country desperately needed at the time. There has never been anything to match it in my lifetime including the Rangers cup, Yankees World Series, and Giants Superbowls. I wish they would go back to amateurs playing in the Olympics. It has never felt the same with the professionals playing.

I agree. I always loved how we sent amateurs to play other countries Pros.

The 1980 miracle on ice still gets me all misty eyed. I was only 6 years old but i remember exactly where i was when it happened.

The athletes had to sacrifice going pro to even be considered for the Olympics. representing the country meant sacrifice.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree. I always loved how we sent amateurs to play other countries Pros.

The 1980 miracle on ice still gets me all misty eyed. I was only 6 years old but i remember exactly where i was when it happened.

The athletes had to sacrifice going pro to even be considered for the Olympics. representing the country meant sacrifice.

I was a bit older than you but I remember that weekend as well. Some people say that is where the chant USA began.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I figured most of you wouldn't care for this post above of mine.

Part of the point of it though was that this might be something that AV and his coaching staff consider when deciding on which D they're going to scratch. I see all this speculation as to why or how stupid they are---I see all kinds of posters here dreaming up all kinds of ulterior motives. The reason behind it might be just as simple as AV and Arniel, Samuelsson and Williams think they're best chance to win night in and night out is to dress--McDonagh, Yandle, Staal, Klein, Girardi and Boyle because the Rangers record with every single one of them in the lineup is better.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I figured most of you wouldn't care for this post above of mine.

Part of the point of it though was that this might be something that AV and his coaching staff consider when deciding on which D they're going to scratch. I see all this speculation as to why or how stupid they are---I see all kinds of posters here dreaming up all kinds of ulterior motives. The reason behind it might be just as simple as AV and Arniel, Samuelsson and Williams think they're best chance to win night in and night out is to dress--McDonagh, Yandle, Staal, Klein, Girardi and Boyle because the Rangers record with every single one of them in the lineup is better.

I really hope they think about this deeper than that. One d-man does not make a win. It's pretty obvious by now that the difference between winning a ton at the start and now having to call it a turnaround when we beat 2 bad teams in a week is whatever level Hank plays at and some puck luck.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
If this coaching staff actually weigh the teams record with McIlrath in the lineup as a strike against him, they shouldn't be NHL coaches

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really hope they think about this deeper than that. One d-man does not make a win. It's pretty obvious by now that the difference between winning a ton at the start and now having to call it a turnaround when we beat 2 bad teams in a week is whatever level Hank plays at and some puck luck.

This is the Rangers W-L-OTL record for each of our D.

McDonagh 27-17-5
Yandle 27-17-5
Staal 27-17-5
Klein 24-10-3 In the 12 games he's missed we are 3-7-2. We've scored 32 goals given up 45.
Girardi 25-13-5 In the 6 games he's missed we are 2-4-0. We've scored 15 goals given up 24.
Boyle 24-13-5 In the 7 games he's missed we are 3-4-0. We've scored 20 goals given up 21.
McIlrath 7-11-2

Our W-L-OTL when McIlrath is in the lineup contrasts sharply to our regular 6.

My argument isn't that McIlrath shouldn't be playing more. I think he should play more. I think he's played well when given the chance. And if it were me Boyle would be the odd man out. Just pointing out something that a lot of posters here probably didn't know and that at least a few of us suspected---that when McIlrath has been in the lineup the team hasn't done that well. It's not to say he's played badly but for whatever reason when he's played the team has more often than not played badly. A coaching staff has the job to put together a lineup that has the best chance of winning and they're going to look at more than just Corsi charts. I'm sure they are aware of this and it does factor into their decisions about who they scratch and who they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad