Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The fact is that his average game is better than Boyle's average game right now. AV will be doing the team a disservice if he continues as he has been.

Aside from his own game, Mclrath has a shot that actually gets through to the net. And Yandle's game seems better when they are paired together.

That's really what stands out most for me. Yandle seems to play with much more confidence when he's paired with McIlrath when compared to any of his other partners.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
One thing some fans do not realize is that Dylan is a really good guy and teammate. I followed him in the minors and on twitter for years. He is the kind of person that most people will want to succeed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Boyle's not putting up points his defending becomes more of an issue. The last time he put up points was in the Tampa game. He'd gone 10 games with 0 and then got scratched. I'm kind of thinking AV wasn't happy with him taking a skate after getting clipped with a stick in Carolina that cost us a goal but kept him in the lineup to play in his hometown Ottawa and when the whole team **** the bed......

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One thing some fans do not realize is that Dylan is a really good guy and teammate. I followed him in the minors and on twitter for years. He is the kind of person that most people will want to succeed.

Well he defends his teammates. That always helps.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Is it me or does this entire organization seem to deliberately try to not give him much credit? The broadcast crew almost never zero in on him positively, and AV would rather gargle soap than say something about his contributions in post game pressers.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is it me or does this entire organization seem to deliberately try to not give him much credit? The broadcast crew almost never zero in on him positively, and AV would rather gargle soap than say something about his contributions in post game pressers.

I think Joe M has spoken very highly of Dylan in most his games. AV is a different story.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Re: the broadcast crew, I feel the same way, but fear my bias towards his play is undermining my ability to truly evaluate.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If Boyle's not putting up points his defending becomes more of an issue. The last time he put up points was in the Tampa game. He'd gone 10 games with 0 and then got scratched. I'm kind of thinking AV wasn't happy with him taking a skate after getting clipped with a stick in Carolina that cost us a goal but kept him in the lineup to play in his hometown Ottawa and when the whole team **** the bed......

My assumption was he was benched for not covering his man while complaining to the ref.

That being said, I'm sure we'll see him back in the lineup after the asg. I want Boyle in over G/Staal, but we know that won't happen.

McIlrath is better defensively than anyone not named McDonagh and Klein sometimes. Yandle and McD are the only two players on the backend clearly better than him.

AV is a ********. I hope he gets canned simply for his disgusting use age of Yandle and McIlrath this year. I can't handle it anymore.

JerseyRangers*

My son and I were both shaking our heads yesterday as they tried to tell us how great Damn Girardi has been playing. McI plays a whole solid game, outplays everyone not named McD and yet they will state "he had a solid game." Girardi makes a simple outlet pass and they **** themselves with glee about what a great pass he just made. These guys are becoming completely unlistenable.

They are so scared to piss off AHole Veeno and mgmt. that they toe the company line and tell us what they are told to say. Truly pathetic.

JerseyRangers*

McIlrath is by far our best RD and every time AV sits him it appears like he has no idea what is going on.

Everyone sees it expect for him. Its like he wants to see McI fail so that he can be right in saying I told you he can't play. His personal bias against the kid is absolutely ridiculous. Time to get rid of him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
13) Funny, McIlrath was on the ice during a stoppage in the second period when they announced the scoring change, giving him his second NHL goal. He looked up at the board and smiled, and Keith Yandle, whose play has really been good on the rare occasions he’s been able have McIlrath riding shotgun with him, came over and gave him a tap on the pads.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2016/...campaign=Feed:+RangersReport+(Rangers+Report)
By the way if Dylan did not get credit for his goal Brass would lose one of his 5 points (secondary assist)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My son and I were both shaking our heads yesterday as they tried to tell us how great Damn Girardi has been playing. McI plays a whole solid game, outplays everyone not named McD and yet they will state "he had a solid game." Girardi makes a simple outlet pass and they **** themselves with glee about what a great pass he just made. These guys are becoming completely unlistenable.

They are so scared to piss off AHole Veeno and mgmt. that they toe the company line and tell us what they are told to say. Truly pathetic.

Was it that shot-in-the-dark blind bank pass that led to Kreider hitting the post?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The fact is that his average game is better than Boyle's average game right now. AV will be doing the team a disservice if he continues as he has been.

Aside from his own game, Mclrath has a shot that actually gets through to the net. And Yandle's game seems better when they are paired together.

THere's also the fact that with McIlrath playing, there's upside. The exact opposite of Boyle.

JerseyRangers*

Was it that shot-in-the-dark blind bank pass that led to Kreider hitting the post?

Yes and that was a great pass.

Usually when McI gets the puck he passes quickly and decisively. Very rarely do we get trapped in our zone when he's out there because he's done a great job getting the puck out. Can't say that about our other d-men. With many of them the first pass gets us in trouble too many times. Its like watching 1st year Bantams. The game speed has really upped from PeeWees and they get caught holding the puck too long.

That's what happens when your legs and reaction time start to slow down. You can't continue to get away with holding the puck a split second longer. Its killed us all year long.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Someone needs to stand up for him. It's obviously not going to be the coach. Maybe some of the beat writers could do their jobs and get answers to pressing questions? Maybe some his teammates and/or the GM have been or are standing up for him? I assume Yandle is since he plays best with him and said as much to the press.

Something just really isn't right here as far as McI is concerned. He's better at transitioning, which AV claims is so key to his system, than everyone but McD and Yandle, and yet the coach seems to despise him. I don't get the sense that he's a Miller/Dubi kind of guy who thrives on tough love, all I've ever heard about him is that he's a really nice humble guy when he's not playing against you. Miller and Dubi were both said to be hotheads with egos, which is a kind of personality I think is good to have on a hockey team, but they can require some different coaching strategies personality wise.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Outside of some dumb penalties he took against the islanders, he has played well. But it needs to be noted that overall he is facing easier match ups than Girardi. It's really easy to say that he's outplaying Girardi, but switch their roles and that may not be the case.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Outside of some dumb penalties he took against the islanders, he has played well. But it needs to be noted that overall he is facing easier match ups than Girardi. It's really easy to say that he's outplaying Girardi, but switch their roles and that may not be the case.

I'd be very interested to see how he played with McD.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Girardi has played poorly on ever pairing he's been one, including when he was super sheltered playing with Yandle. His competition is also easier this year than its been since he came into the league and he's been worse than ever.

Sure I'm not going to say that McIlrath wouldnt be worse in Girardis role but there are very few dmen this year that haven't outplayed Girardi.

JerseyRangers*

Yes but compare that to the turnovers by other d-men and the penalties that they take because they are pulling guys down when they get beat. Even taking those into consideration he is still outplaying almost every d-man on this team. Again, doesn't make any sense and trying to rationalize it only makes it worse.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Dylan's got a lot of potential with his shot. Just needs a little bit more development with it. But its hard and is improving. I'm curious if he can get paired with a younger offensive Dman eventually who can feed him pucks. I can't go as far to say that he can grow into a legit triggerman just yet. But, I can see it as a possibility. I think Dylan will probably end up being very respectable for a first rounder. Certainly nowhere near a bust as some people kept doom/glooming a couple years back(same with Miller).

Also, for as badly as Girard has been playing. Boyle is far more the bigger liability on our backend. If he ain't scoring he is pretty much worthless.

Boyle gets beat in almost every facet of the defensive game. He isn't even that great at what should be his bread and butter: the breakout.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The one thing I think Dylan usually does better than all our defenseman is clear the front of the net and/or tie up a player in front of our net. All season we have seen guys just left alone in front of our net. Usually Dylan will push them to the side or behind the net. I can not speak for Lundy but if I was a goalie I would appreciate Dylan doing that when he is on the ice.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Girardi has played poorly on ever pairing he's been one, including when he was super sheltered playing with Yandle. His competition is also easier this year than its been since he came into the league and he's been worse than ever.

Sure I'm not going to say that McIlrath wouldnt be worse in Girardis role but there are very few dmen this year that haven't outplayed Girardi.

I wonder if Girardi getting easier minutes is a product of the coaching staff realizing that he's struggling and trying to ease off him while still trying to give him a chance to "get back into form" (even though he won't, ever), or if it's just a happy accident?

Basically...if they are giving him easier minutes on purpose, then maybe there's some hope that they realize he's performing poorly and we won't be seeing "Dan Girardi #1 defenseman for the New York Rangers" for the next 3 years, one way or the other.

As for McIlrath, it'd probably be better for him and Yandle to get more like 2nd pairing minutes while Staal and Girardi form a "oh god" 3rd pairing that's sheltered or maybe PKs since they might be alright at that

I just hope that Gorton and the rest are looking at McIlrath and seeing the guy they envisioned when they drafted him (and they should be seeing that) and are not willing to move him at this point. I guarantee if they trade him he's going to go on to be a very good defenseman for some team...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The one thing I think Dylan usually does better than all our defenseman is clear the front of the net and/or tie up a player in front of our net. All season we have seen guys just left alone in front of our net. Usually Dylan will push them to the side or behind the net. I can not speak for Lundy but if I was a goalie I would appreciate Dylan doing that when he is on the ice.

yeah that's the one area I hate about McDonagh's game, he's really not good at figuring out how to clear out or tie guys up in front. Every other part of the game he can excel at but protecting the net? Ehhhh

And yeah McIlrath is far better at it than anyone else on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad