Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
at this point, ive given up on the future of this team as long as AV is behind the bench.
There's no doubt that the team will be worse than it needs to be because of AV. There's no argument that playing a man system with the current personnel is a fireable offense.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There's no doubt that the team will be worse than it needs to be because of AV. There's no argument that playing a man system with the current personnel is a fireable offense.

one would think....because it certainly killed us last year...and that was when we had Yandle...a guy who was perfect for this system.

now weve gotten less mobile, older, and slower.

yay.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id also say literally the only guy on the right side of the ice that can make a decent first pass is going to be out of a job in a few hours (in all likelyhood).

i hate this coach.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed...I have very little confidence in AV making the correct decisions regarding the defense.
I am actually having a hard time with confidence in any of his decisions right now. If this latest one comes to fruition, that will just be the latest in a series of poor choices.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Well Klein is hurt already it seems, with some pretty severe back spasms, getting an MRI today.

Maybe this delays these indications...hopefully Mc can step in and get a shot and it's not Holden playing his off side filling in.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I am actually having a hard time with confidence in any of his decisions right now. If this latest one comes to fruition, that will just be the latest in a series of poor choices.

That'll come when he breaks up the KZB line and inserts Fast on RW.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I want Dylan to play as much as anyone. Dylan is one of my 3 favorite players on this team. I honestly do not know if AV is unfair or not. We need Dylan to grab the job so well that the other players, front office and coaches say Dylan should be playing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I want Dylan to play as much as anyone. Dylan is one of my 3 favorite players on this team. I honestly do not know if AV is unfair or not. We need Dylan to grab the job so well that the other players, front office and coaches say Dylan should be playing.

and see, i really really like DM....and i happen to think hes been blah this preseason...but hes certainly been better than Girardi..thats a fact...so no matter how its spun, DM deserves to be in the lineup..even if its as a 3rd pairing defenseman playing 8-12 mins a night...his play warrants more minutes than Girardis has this preseason.

Q.O.C. may play a hand in how awful DG has looked and how blah DM has looked and the decision to play DG over DM...but then i question why our coach is putting those guys against the guys they are playing against.

again, it all comes down to our coaching.

right now, based on the preseason, Kevin Klein with Ryan McDonagh should be the top pair.

its not a great pair, but those are the 2 guys who deserve it the most.

Staal deserves the 2nd pairing LD, but its not like he was terrific this preseason either...i thought he ssslllooowwweedddd the forwards up big time...often they were waiting for him to lug the puck up the ice or to get them the puck. his decision making this preseason was questionable. in his own zone he was ok.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
First of all, Where does trading Cally, Dubi, DZ, Anisimov, etc. fit into that plan of playing young players through their mistakes?

Second of all, Going into 2013-14 Marc Staal had played 388 games and Brassard had played 322. So based on that one could say that Stepan, Zucc, Kreider are still young and going through mistakes. And then there is the next wave of Miller, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, and then the next wave of Vesey, Buch, and possibly Nieves, Skjei, Dylan.

I mean maybe your point is about trading all the draft picks but how in the hell is that AV related?

I don't mind trading young players to capitalize on their value and acquire better players/better fits. With McI we'd be selling for pennies on the dollar.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
and see, i really really like DM....and i happen to think hes been blah this preseason...but hes certainly been better than Girardi..thats a fact...so no matter how its spun, DM deserves to be in the lineup..even if its as a 3rd pairing defenseman playing 8-12 mins a night...his play warrants more minutes than Girardis has this preseason.

Q.O.C. may play a hand in how awful DG has looked and how blah DM has looked and the decision to play DG over DM...but then i question why our coach is putting those guys against the guys they are playing against.

again, it all comes down to our coaching.

right now, based on the preseason, Kevin Klein with Ryan McDonagh should be the top pair.

its not a great pair, but those are the 2 guys who deserve it the most.

Staal deserves the 2nd pairing LD, but its not like he was terrific this preseason either...i thought he ssslllooowwweedddd the forwards up big time...often they were waiting for him to lug the puck up the ice or to get them the puck. his decision making this preseason was questionable. in his own zone he was ok.

That is a fair post. I think our defensive system is a overly complicated nightmare full of breakdowns. McD has looked the best but even he has issues with it. Dylan has played better than Girardi but that is not enough so far. I personally would give Brady/Dylan a regular 13-15 minutes a game as our 3rd pairing for at least 10-15 games.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Really curious as to what happens. Gonna get pennies on the dollar for Dylan. If no player is coming back, I'm guessing a 3rd at best. Don't wanna knock Clendening at all, as he's impressed me thus far, but I'm quite frustrated by the premise of a random free-agent signing who has been tossed around the league like a dirty tramp spelling the end of a compelling prospect that we've been developing for five years. Five years gone and we'll have never gotten a genuine chance to see what he could bring. It's obviously not gonna work with AV as coach, and I expect him be here at least until the end of the season. Hope Dylan finds success wherever he winds up.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
rangers shoulda flipped him for Yakupov if they werent going to keep him.

at least try to hit a home run...even if you strike out...its better than an asset (3rd rounder) who at best will be ready in 6 years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm okay trading him for an upgrade at the position. For a pick or some other asset, I think it would be a mistake.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

The problem is that this already happened. Last year. The players literally were praising him in the press. He became part of our best pair. And AV scratched him for a turnstile with a busted knee-cap.

As long as AV is here, McIlrath will be on the way out. When AV doesn't like a player, he torches the value until the only option is to cut bait (it's happened three times now). It's long past time for Gorts to see that the problem is the gumball behind the bench and get him out of here before he completely torches the assets that we have (ie: does here what he did to Vancouver, leaving them with a roster of nothing but expensive, declining vets and fourth liners).

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I still have hope that McIlrath can outlast AV. But, I'd be okay if he went for either Trouba or Shattenkirk. At least his value as an asset wouldn't be thrown away.

orland

Jul 29, 2002
Weschester County, N
Visit site
I'll give him another month and he'll get the ax right before Christmas.
AV's only goal is to maximize our minuscule chance of winning the cup this year. The organization needs to protect itself from AV and make moves that maximize the future. AV is going down the same road as Sather - all in to win a Cup now, the future be damned.

If at least we we're losing McIlrath and replacing him with valuable pieces that would be one thing. Holden & Clendening are 2 guys who couldn’t make it on 2 of the worst defenses in the league. Girardi is in decline and already too slow for today’s game – plus they will have to buy him out at the end of the year to avoid having to protect him anyway.

Makes no sense. Yandle and McIlrath were our best defense pair when AV put them together last season and then, inexplicably, broke them up. This defense is going to stink in any event - at least develop those with potential and see what they can do.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
rangers shoulda flipped him for Yakupov if they werent going to keep him.

at least try to hit a home run...even if you strike out...its better than an asset (3rd rounder) who at best will be ready in 6 years.

2.5 million is a really expensive strikeout. Especially when the last thing this team needs is more wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad