Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think Skjei has been brutal in this series.

Just checked the Stats, the worst CF% defenseman in this series has been Dan Girardi...2nd worst? Brady Skjei.

Also coincidentally McIlrath has been the 2nd best defenseman.

Obviously sample size, TOI, matchups, yadda yadda yadda all plays out...but those stats are really interesting and do kinda match up to what I saw....McIlrath aside from a few early blunders, wasnt that bad..and Skjei has been..at best...meh.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Diaz who hasn't played a single NHL game this year?

I wish just one beat writer had the stones to ask Vigno what the actual &%$$ he is doing with McIlrath.

It's obvious Vigno wanted Diaz on team out of camp.

I sure hope the questionable treatment of Dylan this season was not because AV wanted Diaz. If this whole thing was about a power struggle between AV and Gorton I will be even more upset.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Brady has made several plays that were bad. All dmen on our team have. I can't fault Brady and ignore Stall, Girardi, Boyle, and Yandle mistakes especially when Brady should be playing the left side not right.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Guy can't even get in over Dan Boyle lol.
Is dylans footwork really that bad he can't play over this grandpa corpse?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If we're going to lose, which we are, I'd much rather do so with the kids getting playoff experience.

I've said this before, but the next game McIlrath plays in this league will be for another team. AV has zero faith in him. I have no doubt he gets moved around the draft. I dont want him to be moved, but it seems inevitable.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
If we're going to lose, which we are, I'd much rather do so with the kids getting playoff experience.

I've said this before, but the next game McIlrath plays in this league will be for another team. AV has zero faith in him. I have no doubt he gets moved around the draft. I dont want him to be moved, but it seems inevitable.

I don't think so. Gorton and Clark love the kid. The only person who doesn't is AV and not for nothing but after tomorrow the next game AV coaches will probably be for another team.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
AV is not getting fired. Be realistic. Holy moley.
I don't see McIlrath going anywhere yet. There is no one in the farm that can step in for Dan Boyle, who we can all agree will be gone. There is no cap to sign anyone else other than some journeyman. If Av stays around, which I highly doubt, he won't have much choice in playing McIlrath next year.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
i think Skjei has been brutal in this series.

Just checked the Stats, the worst CF% defenseman in this series has been Dan Girardi...2nd worst? Brady Skjei.

Also coincidentally McIlrath has been the 2nd best defenseman.

Obviously sample size, TOI, matchups, yadda yadda yadda all plays out...but those stats are really interesting and do kinda match up to what I saw....McIlrath aside from a few early blunders, wasnt that bad..and Skjei has been..at best...meh.

Skjei has very little NHL experience. You have to give rookies some slack. He was fine considering.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they lose tomorrow like they lost last night, I'd be shocked if he WEREN'T fired.

Gorton hasn't hired "his coach" yet. This is still Sather's.

While true, Slats is still around. He's the team president and all. No telling how much input he has. He may even have the final say on things. Who knows.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
So AV isn't getting fired and McIlrath is being traded. Anything else you've seen into the future regarding the Rangers about?

Under that logic you could say "the Rangers will trade glass for Kane" and when someone says "that won't happen", you respond with "oh yeah? You got a crystal ball!?"

Be realistic. For AV's faults, which he has, he brought this team into the 21st century and totally changed the way they play within the last 24 months. He took them to the finals and To game 7 of the ECF in his first 2 years. Both years with the team coming back from 3-1 deficits. They didn't "quit" on him. This group is just, as torts would say, "stale". Most notably a blue line that is broken down, old or a combination of the 2.

Gorton was slats right hand for the last 5-6 years, he was deeply involved with the AV hire.

The Rangers could lose 10-0 tomorrow, and AV will be behind the bench next October. Accept it.

Last edited:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Haha, I remember these same posts regarding Torts prior to break-up day. I can only hope the outcome is the same.

Torts wasn't fired b/c of his on ice results.

Torts was fired b/c he would publicly trash his players in the media, the "hagelin sucks on the PP" apparently being the final straw in the locker room.

The FO said that the exit meetings with players lead them to fire torts, he had mother F'd his way out of a job. His players, even his "guy" Brad Richards wanted him gone.

AV is a loyal and protective of his players to a fault, as you see in his defending of Giradri.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Torts wasn't fired b/c of his on ice results.

Torts was fired b/c he would publicly trash his players in the media, the "hagelin sucks on the PP" apparently being the final straw in the locker room.

The FO said that the exit meetings with players lead them to fire torts, he had mother F'd his way out of a job. His players, even his "guy" Brad Richards wanted him gone.

AV is a loyal and protective of his players to a fault, as you see in his defending of Giradri.

I think the front office also made a decision that they did not want John Tortorella representing them. It is that blunt. He is abrasive. He is a passionate guy and I respect that, but he got out of line a few times (and since leaving the Rangers too). NYR is a corporation and a brand, as well as a collection of hockey talent.
You get a certain amount of leash, and if you use it up, it snaps your head back. Anyway, I respect John Tortorella for the work ethic he instilled in the Rangers, and at the same time did not lament his departure.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I think the front office also made a decision that they did not want John Tortorella representing them. It is that blunt. He is abrasive. He is a passionate guy and I respect that, but he got out of line a few times (and since leaving the Rangers too). NYR is a corporation and a brand, as well as a collection of hockey talent.
You get a certain amount of leash, and if you use it up, it snaps your head back. Anyway, I respect John Tortorella, and at the same time did not lament his departure.

I mean, perhaps. But this is also the organization that brought Avery back after his "sloppy seconds" and more recently brought in Ryan Malone after his DUI/Coke bust.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I mean, perhaps. But this is also the organization that brought Avery back after his "sloppy seconds" and more recently brought in Ryan Malone after his DUI/Coke bust.

It's not really the same thing given that the coach is responsible for talking to the media every day and players aren't.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It's not really the same thing given that the coach is responsible for talking to the media every day and players aren't.

The point I was responding to was regarding "representing the organization". In the public Eye, the players do so more than the coach

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The point I was responding to was regarding "representing the organization". In the public Eye, the players do so more than the coach

Over the history of sport, and the NHL specifically in this case, there has always been a spirit of latitude in accommodating loose cannon players like Avery. There have been so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad