Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part V: #FreeHim

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
AV on his quickly developing former top-10 pick the organization has put a lot of time into:

"He sucks"

Sure Dylan will love reading those quotes in the pressbox. Is this AV's version of Hagelin "stinks" on the power play?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As terrible as this is, I REALLY REALLY hope that what AV said is just a cover up for him playing Girardi because of his contract and name. Otherwise he's just an imbecile. But Occam's Razor says he's an imbecile.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
AV on his quickly developing former top-10 pick the organization has put a lot of time into:

"He sucks"

Sure Dylan will love reading those quotes in the pressbox. Is this AV's version of Hagelin "stinks" on the power play?

I don't think he said he sucks. He said the guys playing in front of him are better. There's enough to facepalm about without having to resort to putting words in his mouth.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

"He sucks"

So when does saying 2 guys with 15 years of NHL experience combined is a better option right now than the guy with 20 games, turn into "(McIlrath) sucks." Be fair now

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't think he said he sucks. He said the guys playing in front of him are better. There's enough to facepalm about without having to resort to putting words in his mouth.

So when does saying 2 guys with 15 years of NHL experience combined is a better option right now than the guy with 20 games, turn into "(McIlrath) sucks." Be fair now

Yeah, hyperbole from me. I'm frustrated at how McIlrath has been managed this season. I'm frustrated because I think, in their last ten games of sample size, McIlrath has been a more productive player for this team than Girardi has been.

It's unfortunate. And honestly, I think McIlrath is on his way out of the organization. I mean, AV basically just told the media that he can't use him.

Repeat of Etem, except that Dylan was a Rangers draft pick, so it's not perceived that way.

I mean, G's knee-cap is ****ing cracked. He's not at 100% health. We have a more than capable d-man sitting in the pressbox. Why are we playing G over McIlrath right now? In January. With 40 or so games to go in the season. When G isn't healthy.

A lot of things that AV is doing right now just don't make sense to me.

I guess I have to trust the pro-cess. And when he says it's the right thing to do, to believe him.... but, my patience is wearing thin at the moment due to frustrations surrounding a few players on this team, and how AV seems to be imposing his will on the Rangers FO.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Without naming names what bothers me about AV is that it seems his player evaluation seems to be as sophisticated as a few posters on this site that go by nothing else other than reputation. I feel like 95% of this board has more sophisticated player evaluation than AV. He's very good at strategy, but when it comes to players he is decidedly mediocre.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah, hyperbole from me. I'm frustrated at how McIlrath has been managed this season. I'm frustrated because I think, in their last ten games of sample size, McIlrath has been a more productive player for this team than Girardi has been.

It's unfortunate. And honestly, I think McIlrath is on his way out of the organization. I mean, AV basically just told the media that he can't use him.

Repeat of Etem, except that Dylan was a Rangers draft pick, so it's not perceived that way.

I mean, G's knee-cap is ****ing cracked. He's not at 100% health. We have a more than capable d-man sitting in the pressbox. Why are we playing G over McIlrath right now? In January. With 40 or so games to go in the season. When G isn't healthy.

A lot of things that AV is doing right now just don't make sense to me.

I guess I have to trust the pro-cess. And when he says it's the right thing to do, to believe him.... but, my patience is wearing thin at the moment due to frustrations surrounding a few players on this team, and how AV seems to be imposing his will on the Rangers FO.

Like what? Besides sitting McIlrath and playing Glass? 2 decisions that can be debated rather astutely on both sides. I think reading a thousand posts about the same 2 things tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The team hasn't been losing because of those 2 decisions. The team is losing because its not as good as it has been compared to the last 4 years.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What bothers me is that AV is very "progressive" in a number of ways as a coach. He's also very likable. I REALLY REALLY want him to be a reasonable coach that doesn't play players like Glass and an injured Girardi. I just don't understand it. This is not Torts. What's wrong with him?

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
This here is a major issue and cause for concern in the Rangers front office.. AV has lost touch and is not giving the Team a legit shot at winning.. He has burnt out other cities with his refusal to play younger guys and now his comments towards a player who shined when given a shot to play has me off his wagon,, #fireAV now save the season

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Like what? Besides sitting McIlrath and playing Glass? 2 decisions that can be debated rather astutely on both sides. I think reading a thousand posts about the same 2 things tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The team hasn't been losing because of those 2 decisions. The team is losing because its not as good as it has been compared to the last 4 years.

And is that not a result of a few players being put into roles that they cannot succeed in? I'm not going to list every issue I have right now, as puck drop is in 4 minutes. But, I like to think of myself as a somewhat rational poster on some things around here. So, I trust you to believe me that I have well-thought out opinions on the problems I see with NYR from Gorton to the product on the ice; as I would you if you said the same thing :)

I'm off to the couch.

LGR

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
What bothers me is that AV is very "progressive" in a number of ways as a coach. He's also very likable. I REALLY REALLY want him to be a reasonable coach that doesn't play players like Glass and an injured Girardi. I just don't understand it. This is not Torts. What's wrong with him?

He's not running a system based on merit, that's easy to see. I'm getting tired of this nonsense.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This here is a major issue and cause for concern in the Rangers front office.. AV has lost touch and is not giving the Team a legit shot at winning.. He has burnt out other cities with his refusal to play younger guys and now his comments towards a player who shined when given a shot to play has me off his wagon,, #fireAV now save the season

Hire any random idiot as long as he plays McIlrath!

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Not sure anyone can astutely argue that Girardi is better than McIlrath at this point. And there is no one who can argue that he has the better future.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's not running a system based on merit, that's easy to see. I'm getting tired of this nonsense.

That would be less scary to me than what I suppose is the real reason- he thinks that Glass and Girardi are actually good players.

So is he corrupt or incompetent?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
nothing surprising about AV"s comments. He's not saying McIlrath sucks, he's saying he thinks the vets are more valuable to the team right now. I don't agree with him there, but it's simply not surprising he feels that way. As I said before most coaches are obsessed with veterans and believe they do things better than rookies. Hell, Girardi and Klein may indeed do a lot of things better than McIlrath at this point, even if the overall result isn't always better. Coaches are very particular about little things that we may not be paying attention to (particular to a fault perhaps).

We honestly all knew it was going to be an issue when players were healthy again.

That said, again the worst thing they can do is trade McIlrath without a plan for shoring up the right side in the future because it ****ing sucks right now

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
nothing surprising about AV"s comments. He's not saying McIlrath sucks, he's saying he thinks the vets are more valuable to the team right now. I don't agree with him there, but it's simply not surprising he feels that way. As I said before most coaches are obsessed with veterans and believe they do things better than rookies. Hell, Girardi and Klein may indeed do a lot of things better than McIlrath at this point, even if the overall result isn't always better. Coaches are very particular about little things that we may not be paying attention to (particular to a fault perhaps).

We honestly all knew it was going to be an issue when players were healthy again.

That said, again the worst thing they can do is trade McIlrath without a plan for shoring up the right side in the future because it ****ing sucks right now

It has to do with insane risk aversion. A coach looks worse to most people if he goes down with the guy that's been here for a decade over the guy that's been here 5 minutes. It's saving his own ass. Nothing to do with the team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It has to do with insane risk aversion. A coach looks worse to most people if he goes down with the guy that's been here for a decade over the guy that's been here 5 minutes. It's saving his own ass. Nothing to do with the team.

Eh I think that's partly true but partly not. Yes it's risk aversion, it's the same reason NFL coaches almost always punt in circumstances when it's shown that it'd be better if they went for it on 4th down.

And as I keep saying, vet players get a lot of leeway especially when they're considered to be players who have been good in the past. They figure that "they'll figure it out and round into their old form" even when that isn't going to be the case.

I get why people are upset about how poorly Girardi in particular is playing and that the Rangers have someone who could take over his spot, and I'm totally on board with being upset at the way Girardi is struggling and AV is giving him all kinds of leash, but I think people are being a little crazy about the criticism as well.

AV also isn't the one who gave Girardi and Staal these contracts and I think the Rangers management really has a lot of work to figure out how to fix things without their defense becoming a giant tire fire for the next 5 years

McIlrath should be in line for a permanent roster spot next season and if AV doesn't go along with that then I'll be very upset, but let's just say I'm not surprised with AV playing his vets, it's something we've seen repeated around the NHL over and over again for years

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Eh I think that's partly true but partly not. Yes it's risk aversion, it's the same reason NFL coaches almost always punt in circumstances when it's shown that it'd be better if they went for it on 4th down.

And as I keep saying, vet players get a lot of leeway especially when they're considered to be players who have been good in the past. They figure that "they'll figure it out and round into their old form" even when that isn't going to be the case.

I get why people are upset about how poorly Girardi in particular is playing and that the Rangers have someone who could take over his spot, and I'm totally on board with being upset at the way Girardi is struggling and AV is giving him all kinds of leash, but I think people are being a little crazy about the criticism as well.

AV also isn't the one who gave Girardi and Staal these contracts and I think the Rangers management really has a lot of work to figure out how to fix things without their defense becoming a giant tire fire for the next 5 years

McIlrath should be in line for a permanent roster spot next season and if AV doesn't go along with that then I'll be very upset, but let's just say I'm not surprised with AV playing his vets, it's something we've seen repeated around the NHL over and over again for years

I don't understand what that has to do with anything. So because Sather gave them the contracts it's ok for him to play them over better players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad