Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath Part V: #FreeHim

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
The issue is he probably thinks that he has to be super physical and be the enforcer to play. He was playing great and rarely dropping the gloves back when he was playing every night and he got benched. I'd be confused if I was him too. What else does the man have to do to prove he belongs in the lineup every night?

Play through injuries!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Come on guys, let's not throw excuses around for McI's bad penalties. I've been a big fan of his play this season, and think he should be in the lineup more often, but nobody on these boards bas been accepting excuses for any other defenseman's play this year. I know he's just a rookie, but he needs to know better.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm not excusing the penalties at all. I said in the game thread that penalty he took that lead to the goal was 100% him.

But you got guys like Glass playing for Lindberg because AV likes his "toughness" and McIlrath is thinking well if I'm tough maybe I'll play more. You can't blame him. It doesn't make any sense that someone like Lindberg is sitting for Glass. McIlrath was playing like and is a top 4 dman and he got benched.

The logic just isn't there

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He and Hayes cost the game. It's clear Martin and clutter buck are trying to start something to get momentum for their team.

We were up 1-0 with all the control, gotta just let it go. His unsportsmanlike conduct caused the 4v4 which we got dominated on. ****ing idiot Hayes with the terrible turnover and screen on Hank for the first goal.

Then the 2 minute rough which set up their PP and GWG. He was a non factor and didn't play after that cus the team needs a goal and he's not going to score for you.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not excusing the penalties at all. I said in the game thread that penalty he took that lead to the goal was 100% him.

But you got guys like Glass playing for Lindberg because AV likes his "toughness" and McIlrath is thinking well if I'm tough maybe I'll play more. You can't blame him. It doesn't make any sense that someone like Lindberg is sitting for Glass. McIlrath was playing like and is a top 4 dman and he got benched.

The logic just isn't there

Why is toughness in quotes? Again, I'm playing Devil's Advocate - I firmly believe that Lindberg is a more valuable player than Glass, and that Lindberg in the lineup is more beneficial to our team than Glass in the lineup is.

But assuming that you have a player who's good on the forecheck, hits opposing defenders often throughout the game - causing bad passes, maybe even turnovers, or at the very least, wearing out those defensemen over the course of the game - isn't that a valuable thing that have? Even if his possession numbers aren't great, and he doesn't have a ton of skill with the puck?

There are a lot of factors I'm glossing over here - what kind of ice time and responsibility does that player get? How bad is his possession game? Does he have games where he's not effective in forechecking? Etc.

But too many people on these boards are using "toughness" and "physicality" as proxies for "this guy sucks and has no value." Physicality is a very crucial element to the game. Even the best possession players only have the puck 60% of the time, what you do when your opponent has the puck is still crucial.

Again - Devil's Advocate, I'm not saying Glass should be in the lineup. I'm just saying, let's stop this thinking that physical play isn't important. Watch a team like Winnipeg to see how physicality can lead to better puck possession and chances, or at the very least, can improve you chances of dominating the game in the 3rd period as you wear out your opponent.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a long rant, and I just realized it really wasn't directed to you or anything you said in your post. Just wanted to get my non sequitur thoughts out there.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Why is toughness in quotes? Again, I'm playing Devil's Advocate - I firmly believe that Lindberg is a more valuable player than Glass, and that Lindberg in the lineup is more beneficial to our team than Glass in the lineup is.

But assuming that you have a player who's good on the forecheck, hits opposing defenders often throughout the game - causing bad passes, maybe even turnovers, or at the very least, wearing out those defensemen over the course of the game - isn't that a valuable thing that have? Even if his possession numbers aren't great, and he doesn't have a ton of skill with the puck?

There are a lot of factors I'm glossing over here - what kind of ice time and responsibility does that player get? How bad is his possession game? Does he have games where he's not effective in forechecking? Etc.

But too many people on these boards are using "toughness" and "physicality" as proxies for "this guy sucks and has no value." Physicality is a very crucial element to the game. Even the best possession players only have the puck 60% of the time, what you do when your opponent has the puck is still crucial.

Again - Devil's Advocate, I'm not saying Glass should be in the lineup. I'm just saying, let's stop this thinking that physical play isn't important. Watch a team like Winnipeg to see how physicality can lead to better puck possession and chances, or at the very least, can improve you chances of dominating the game in the 3rd period as you wear out your opponent.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a long rant, and I just realized it really wasn't directed to you or anything you said in your post. Just wanted to get my non sequitur thoughts out there.

No problem haha I understand where you're coming from. It's frustrating none the less.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
No problem haha I understand where you're coming from. It's frustrating none the less.

I guess maybe my actual response to what you posted is - let's have faith and patience in AV, his decision making, and the players. They've earned our benefit of the doubt by their successes these past couple seasons.

And maybe even more to the point - every year, our coaches (each of Renney, Torts, and AV) have made questionable - sometimes baffling - personnel decisions throughout the regular season. And basically every season, things have gotten figured out by crunch time and those complaints were long forgotten and long since considering irrelevant.

Remember how up in arms we all were at the beginning of 2013-14 when Pyatt was playing every night? By the end of the season, when we were in the finals, did anyone even remember that he was on our roster at the beginning of the season and played 20 games for us? Did it make any difference in the grand scheme of things?

Or how about Malone playing last year? Stoll this year, to a lesser degree? Voros on the top line in 09?

Every year, guys - usually veterans - get their cup of tea and a chance to show they still have it. Because the coaches know - it's a looooong season. Give these guys a shot, see if they can develop or recreate some magic. Hell, if it wasn't for that line of thinking, Torts wouldn't have given Brian Boyle or Anton Stralman a chance. Remember how bad Pouliot was to start 13-14? And then look how valuable he was for us in the playoff run - because the coaches were patient.

I have full faith that things will work out, despite AV's bizarre decisions - because every season, they have worked out despite his bizarre decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille