Dylan Mcilrath Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
NO, Staal and Girardi are not being shopped this year. Girardi has a full no trade clause for the next two years, and Staal has one for 3. They are staying...LET IT GO!

Klein on the other hand will be shopped.
Gorton can shop whomever he wants, clauses or no clauses

The hard part would be finding the match then convincing them to waive the no move clause

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ok, maybe neither of them is as good (for McIlrath, not yet, but maybe soon) as the the Leetch-Beuk pairing, but if you've been a fan since at least the early 90s, doesn't Yandle-McIlrath bring a little tear to your eye? So beautiful...

when beuke got injured i died a little inside...such an amazing player to watch. not the most skilled guy...but tough as nails...made you pay...and really can you have a cooler last name than that for playing the style he played?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think the rangers are best suited by keeping both diaz and mcilrath. both players deserve to be on this team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Gorton can shop whomever he wants, clauses or no clauses

The hard part would be finding the match then convincing them to waive the no move clause

they can be shopped, and honestly if the right deal, for the right team (according to said player with trade clauses) comes along, there are ways to move those players...

The caveat is that we'll have to move them to either a contending team, or a team that is basically one offseason or trade deadline away from contending. For instance, I don't see them sending Staal to Toronto--at least not for the next year or two... On the other hand, I see no reason why Girardi couldn't be traded to Anaheim or Dallas...

Again, I'm speaking in a vacuum here--I'm not saying these players would accept these trades definitively, or if these teams would even be interested in these players... Just trying to prove a point about contending teams vs playoff teams vs non-playoff teams

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Less than a year ago, even his biggest supporters would've never said that this forum will be writing these words about him at any point of his career, much less in 2015. I was still writing in the Hartford thread that he's handling the puck like a live hand grenade around Thanksgiving. Let's hope he doesn't plateau. If he can keep improving, he could be a crucial defenseman for this team.

Totally agree.

Sometimes I find myself saying "are you sure we are talking about the same player here?" Up until a few weeks ago McI was the HF equivalent of Gluten or smashing baby seals with a club.

It's amazing how much he's improved over last year, but even more amazing how quickly he's turned people on this board around.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Totally agree.

Sometimes I find myself saying "are you sure we are talking about the same player here?" Up until a few weeks ago McI was the HF equivalent of Gluten or smashing baby seals with a club.

It's amazing how much he's improved over last year, but even more amazing how quickly he's turned people on this board around.

Hard to relentlessly bash the guy when the evidence to the contrary is smack in front of people's faces. A lot of "I watch plenty of Wolfpack games" claims have been debunked. :popcorn:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Hard to relentlessly bash the guy when the evidence to the contrary is smack in front of people's faces. A lot of "I watch plenty of Wolfpack games" claims have been debunked. :popcorn:

Is there really evidence that hes a better puck handler than Staal, Girardi, and Klein?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
they can be shopped, and honestly if the right deal, for the right team (according to said player with trade clauses) comes along, there are ways to move those players...

The caveat is that we'll have to move them to either a contending team, or a team that is basically one offseason or trade deadline away from contending. For instance, I don't see them sending Staal to Toronto--at least not for the next year or two... On the other hand, I see no reason why Girardi couldn't be traded to Anaheim or Dallas...

Again, I'm speaking in a vacuum here--I'm not saying these players would accept these trades definitively, or if these teams would even be interested in these players... Just trying to prove a point about contending teams vs playoff teams vs non-playoff teams

Your first paragraph makes a bold statement...'there are ways to move those players'.... but by the third paragraph....'Again, I'm speaking in a vacuum here'...'I'm not saying these players would accept these trades definitively'.... you've pretty much taken it all back.

Whatever point you've proven---maybe you could explain it further. The NMC contracts that have moved in the past few years are few and far between usually. And almost always the movement has been the result of some kind of ****ed up situation for the said player--whether his career was already over, whether his team was floundering in the standings and his situation had gotten toxic with choose any one of the four or any combination thereof: 1. his team's management 2. his teammates 3. the local media or 4. the fans in the stands.

As far as any of the Rangers NMC's none of the 4 reasons above apply for any of them.

Anyway as to finding no reason why Girardi couldn't be traded to Dallas or Anaheim--I could you one reason---his NMC.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Ok, maybe neither of them is as good (for McIlrath, not yet, but maybe soon) as the the Leetch-Beuk pairing, but if you've been a fan since at least the early 90s, doesn't Yandle-McIlrath bring a little tear to your eye? So beautiful...

Yandle has talked about Leetch being his favorite player all his life. McIlrath has been brought up and mentored by Buek. Pretty neat I agree. :yo:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I was referring to where he was in his development. 4 months ago plenty of people insisted he was nothing more than a face-punching with little hope of cracking the NHL roster because of "what they saw of him."

...you mean like the guy above, :laugh:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
...you mean like the guy above, :laugh:

I was going to say it isn't amazing how many people have turned around. It's amazing how many people were so adamantly negative despite not even watching him play. Either that or confirmation bias. People wanted to be right so they subconsciously exaggerated every flaw and saw what they wanted to. Some likely will for a good while still. I'll always be exceedingly negative about the pick but not the actual player.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I was going to say it isn't amazing how many people have turned around. It's amazing how many people were so adamantly negative despite not even watching him play. Either that or confirmation bias. People wanted to be right so they subconsciously exaggerated every flaw and saw what they wanted to. Some likely will for a good while still. I'll always be exceedingly negative about the pick but not the actual player.

People [want] to be right so they [are] subconsciously exaggerat[ing] every flaw and [are seeing] what they [want].

This is what the new bandwagon is doing with Klein.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I was referring to where he was in his development. 4 months ago plenty of people insisted he was nothing more than a face-punching with little hope of cracking the NHL roster because of "what they saw of him."

He's improved from last year. That's for sure.

That said, plenty of folks are treating the issue of McIlraths NHL future as settled. It's far from it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yes, when you watch the games and you see him make smarter decisions with the puck, that's the evidence.

The preseason games? The ones where vets are getting their work in and a guy like McIlrath is using to fight for his organizational life? K. Thanks.

That's not even mentioning how I don't even really agree with you regarding those games.

As I fan, I am very happy to see that McIlrath has seemingly passed step 1 of a very long process. All of a sudden he's doing things better than 3 Ranger veteran defensemen. Crazy.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Which games aside from this pre-season?

None. I'm not saying he's 100% better than them at moving the puck forever. I didn't think it was necessary to state the obvious fact that we've only seen him in preseason. But from what we've seen of him he's consistently been better than they have in transition and when starting breakouts. The question was is there any evidence and the answer is yes, what we've seen so far from him in preseason can be taken as some amount of evidence. Is it conclusive or does it mean it'll be consistent forever? No.

I know this idea fries some brains on here, but few things and black and white binaries. That doesn't mean that they aren't worth discussing.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The preseason games? The ones where vets are getting their work in and a guy like McIlrath is using to fight for his organizational life? K. Thanks.

That's not even mentioning how I don't even really agree with you regarding those games.

As I fan, I am very happy to see that McIlrath has seemingly passed step 1 of a very long process. All of a sudden he's doing things better than 3 Ranger veteran defensemen. Crazy.

^This

Look, I'm very happy McIlrath has made progress, but yowza! These reactions...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

You asked if there's evidence of him being better than them at that skill. I'm saying yes, in what we've seen of him he's been better than they have, and not just better than thy have been in preseason, better then they've been at any time for a number of years. None of those guys are good with the puck, that's not some sudden preseason development you can attribute to them not trying.

Is it definitive evidence? No, it's a handful of preseason games. Is it evidence to some degree none the less? Yes.

You don't agree? Okay. What are you basing your opinion on? When have Staal G or Klein moved the puck well for any number of games? Not even this preseason, but during the last few years at all?

So you're saying vets are always better than rookies at everything? It's impossible that a rookie d man can step in and move the puck better than some vets who have shown over years and years that they aren't good puck movers?

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Some people definitely going over the top here. Staal and Girardi were kind of trainwrecks in preaseson. Whatever. I'm only worried about that if it carries over to the regular season which remains to be seen, and will most likely not happen.

However, I truly do believe that not only did McIlrath play better than Klein in preseason, but if the decision were that the Rangers had to keep McI or Klein, instead of McI or Diaz, I'd keep Dylan every day of the week.

Summed up as such:

McIlrath + cap space + assets from trading Klein > Klein

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Any time someone claims to watch a team, there's a easy way to test it: name one play you've seen that was not reported in the news. If he can't do it, he's lying.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Any time someone claims to watch a team, there's a easy way to test it: name one play you've seen that was not reported in the news. If he can't do it, he's lying.

Oh please, no one is a liar just because they can't remember every single play in a game--I don't feel the need to watch every single game like a hawk, particularly pre-season and even regular season games. And even when hockey has my undivided attention, there are things I miss, especially on TV--which is not well suited to a game where so much happens away from the puck. At this point in my life, I watch hockey because I enjoy it, not to obsess over it.

And before you call me a fair weather fan--realize I've been a Ranger fan and a hockey fan in general far longer than most around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark