Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Different view?

Last year you *guaranteed* he'd never see another game as a New York Ranger. I'm not digging through piles of posts to find it, but you're the last person who should be saying anyone is "out to lunch" regarding Mcilrath. Let it go.

"Adequate"? The guy had a great training camp for basically being a rookie.

He had a great camp all together. While it is true that he had more to play for than others it really shouldn't be used against him. Basically he had to perform at a certain level and he did, perhaps even surpassing what was expected of him.

No need responding to the select few who can't let go of their agenda, there are plenty of us here who are willing to engage in an actual dialogue that doesn't involve re-hashing the same bull **** over and over again ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Can't remember very many goals against while he was on the ice this preseason. I know there was one when he was out killing a penalty.

The mistakes Dylan made were very few and far between. Some of the vets Boyle, Staal, Diaz, Klein did not play nearly as well in the preseason. Dylan played a controlled physical game throughout preseason and he moved the puck quickly and he made some really nice outlet passes. He defended his goalie the other night. I don't know what there is not to like. He definitely earned his spot on our team IMO.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Different view?

Last year you *guaranteed* he'd never see another game as a New York Ranger. I'm not digging through piles of posts to find it, but you're the last person who should be saying anyone is "out to lunch" regarding Mcilrath. Let it go.

"Adequate"? The guy had a great training camp for basically being a rookie.

This is incorrect. I was the one who guaranteed he wouldn't play another game for the Rangers, but that was limited to last season. I never said "never". And he did NOT play another game all season.

I think I was willing to bet $1000.00 too. I was accused of bluffing but no one called me on it. But my guarantee was based on what I thought AV thought of Dylan. Not what I thought of him, as I really haven't seen him play all that much. But this of course was misconstrued, because "how could I have an opinion of him if I haven't seen him play?"

Anyway, he certainly looks more confident in what little I've seen of him in preseason. I'm curious to see how much ice time he gets in regular season games. Then we will find out what AV thinks of him now.

At this point, I think they should play him plenty. It could go along way helping keep the D corp healthy if he can take significant minutes. And if he can't hold up his end as a true NHLer, the sooner we find out the better.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think I was willing to bet $1000.00 too. I was accused of bluffing but no one called me on it. But my guarantee was based on what I thought AV thought of Dylan. Not what I thought of him, as I really haven't seen him play all that much. But this of course was misconstrued, because "how could I have an opinion of him if I haven't seen him play?"

Thinking you know for a fact what AV or the Rangers think of McIlrath is probably worse than expressing an opinion (your own opinion) of a player you've never seen play.

Either way, unless you've actually seen Dylan play (which a lot of us had), then spewing nonsensical bull**** like you're an expert on the subject will continue to be frowned upon.

Are you surprised that the people who watched the Pack regularly last season AREN'T surprised at the way Dylan played this preseason? Are you surprised that the people judging him on 3 or less regular season NHL games before he had a consistently healthy year at the AHL level ARE surprised at the way Dylan played this preseason?

Some phenomena there, huh?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Thinking you know for a fact what AV or the Rangers think of McIlrath is probably worse than expressing an opinion (your own opinion) of a player you've never seen play.

Either way, unless you've actually seen Dylan play (which a lot of us had), then spewing nonsensical bull**** like you're an expert on the subject will continue to be frowned upon.

Are you surprised that the people who watched the Pack regularly last season AREN'T surprised at the way Dylan played this preseason? Are you surprised that the people judging him on 3 or less regular season NHL games before he had a consistently healthy year at the AHL level ARE surprised at the way Dylan played this preseason?

I could care less about the argument you are in but let's remember something. Some of the SAME people that talked up McIlrath did so the past two years. They said he would make the team 2 years ago AND last year. He didn't. He had a great camp, he earned his 7th defenseman spot. BIG DEAL. We have no idea what's going to happen next. Do you?

It's been 5 years since he was drafted 10th overall and we have fans celebrating like McIlrath just won the Norris Trophy. It's awesome he proved some people right but that doesn't change the fact 5 years later, McIlrath still has to get into the lineup and play well.....against teams that are actually competing for wins and not guys competing on mish-mash preseason lineups.

Nobody is taking away McIlrath camp. He deserves his congratulations on winning the 7TH D. He still can't get into the opening night lineup 5 years after his 10th overall selection. But just saying that is somehow wrong.

As if being realistic about expectations for a probable AAAA player somehow makes a person less than a fan of the team.

As Bill Parcells used to say lets see what happens when the lights come on and the games count. I look forward to seeing McIlrath against the Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, or Maple Leafs. He's sure to dress for those games.....Right? One of them, maybe?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I could care less about the argument you are in but let's remember something. Some of the SAME people that talked up McIlrath did so the past two years. They said he would make the team 2 years ago AND last year. He didn't. He had a great camp, he earned his 7th defenseman spot. BIG DEAL. We have no idea what's going to happen next. Do you?

It's been 5 years since he was drafted 10th overall and we have fans celebrating like McIlrath just won the Norris Trophy. It's awesome he proved some people right but that doesn't change the fact 5 years later, McIlrath still has to get into the lineup and play well.....against teams that are actually competing for wins and not guys competing on mish-mash preseason lineups.

Nobody is taking away McIlrath camp. He deserves his congratulations on winning the 7TH D. He still can't get into the opening night lineup 5 years after his 10th overall selection. But just saying that is somehow wrong.

As if being realistic about expectations for a probable AAAA player somehow makes a person less than a fan of the team.

As Bill Parcells used to say lets see what happens when the lights come on and the games count. I look forward to seeing McIlrath against the Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, or Maple Leafs. He's sure to dress for those games.....Right? One of them, maybe?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems to me like your hatred is quite misplaced. Is it Dylan's fault that he was the 10th OA selection? **** no. Is it Dylan's fault that a lot of fans seemd to forget that he was a project pick through and through? **** no.

He was drafted 5 years ago, but last year was his first FULL pro season. Every other year he suffered an injury. Is it such a coincidence that in his first FULL pro season that his progression grew to infinity? Not at all.

Those fans who were predicting that he'd make the team two years ago were doing so before injuries derailed his professional progression. The McIlrath we're seeing in camp this season was the one we should've seen in camp two seasons ago. Injuries are a *****.

He was drafted in 2010, but before the 14-15 season, he had played in only 111 professional regular season games (109 AHL, 2 NHL).

Barely over a season of professional hockey (due to injury) 4 seasons after being drafted.

There's so much more at play here than you being mad at the 5% of fans who always kept faith in the kid, or the fact that the Rangers made the mistake of taking him 10 OA.

If you're gonna be mad, at least be productively mad. Or, if you're going to be mad, stop trying to take away the kid's accomplishment, and the fans who are happy for him to realize that he's taken a huge step and has the potential to be a big part of the team this season, and in the seasons to come.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ

Nonsensical bull? lol

What does this board consist of? I had an opinion based on the actions of the coach. And guess what? I WAS RIGHT! HAHAHA Read that again: I WAS RIGHT! He didn't play. Not one minute. He didn't even dress! He didn't even smell the bench!

I hope for the sake of all the Dylan fanboys (and the team!) that this kid works out. I really do. It would be great if he turns out to be the player we've (all) been hoping for since the 2010 draft. But hoping and stating as fact are 2 different things.

And no, I wont be eating any crow either if he does, because I didn't say he sucked. I said I didn't think AV wanted him. That could change this year, we'll see....

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Nonsensical bull? lol

What does this board consist of? I had an opinion based on the actions of the coach. And guess what? I WAS RIGHT! HAHAHA Read that again: I WAS RIGHT! He didn't play. Not one minute. He didn't even dress! He didn't even smell the bench!

I hope for the sake of all the Dylan fanboys (and the team!) that this kid works out. I really do. It would be great if he turns out to be the player we've (all) been hoping for since the 2010 draft. But hoping and stating as fact are 2 different things.

And no, I wont be eating any crow either if he does, because I didn't say he sucked. I said I didn't think AV wanted him. That could change this year, we'll see....

What were you right about?

He wasn't ready last season, so he didn't play. He's ready this season. He's going to play.

This board is a ****ing mess, man. Holy smokes.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Just the fact that we have somebody back there that has size and some attitude is a element we have been missing for a few years now . Guys will know when he is on the ice .....I just hope he remains smart on the after the whistle stuff . Some guys will try and bait him for sure . He will get better playing/practicing with better players although it won't be an overnight thing and there will be growing pains for us and him . I look forward to him getting into a game as soon as possible . I think he will make us a better team in the long run and more so if it keeps Glass in the stands .:nod:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I could care less about the argument you are in but let's remember something. Some of the SAME people that talked up McIlrath did so the past two years. They said he would make the team 2 years ago AND last year. He didn't.

I didn't see one person write here or in the Hartford thread or anywhere else that Dylan will make it in 2013 or 2014 training camps.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ

He wasn't ready last season, so he didn't play. He's ready this season. He's going to play.

This board is a ****ing mess, man. Holy smokes.

I said he wouldn't play. He didn't play.

I said he wouldn't play, the fanboys said I didn't know what I was talking about, because I hadn't seen him play in Hartford. THEY had seen him play. THEY knew something I didn't. I said it didn't matter what THEY or I thought of his play, my OPINION was based on what I thought the coach was going to do. THEY said I didn't know what I was talking about because I hadn't seen him play.

Finally, to shut everyone up, I said I'd bet $1000.00 that he wouldn't play another game all season. No one was willing to take that bet! (wisely)

Maybe they knew I was right after all...:naughty:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Between last year and this year, we have a different view on what happened.

I thought he looked bad last preseason and looked adequate this preseason. You seem to think he looked OK last preseason and looked great this preseason. I think you're out to lunch. If you weren't, he'd be playing games from this point forward.

You're wrong and you've been wrong. Stop being sour just because everyone can see it now.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems to me like your hatred is quite misplaced. Is it Dylan's fault that he was the 10th OA selection? **** no. Is it Dylan's fault that a lot of fans seemd to forget that he was a project pick through and through? **** no.

Yeah you are reading it wrong. Nobody forgot he was a project....Sometimes things work out with project players....Sometimes it takes project players a decent training camp & the restrictions of being claimed on waivers and lost for nothing to make a team as a.........7th defenseman....

He was drafted 5 years ago, but last year was his first FULL pro season. Every other year he suffered an injury. Is it such a coincidence that in his first FULL pro season that his progression grew to infinity? Not at all.

Progression grew to infinity.....If the definition of infinity is a 7th Defenseman.....

Those fans who were predicting that he'd make the team two years ago were doing so before injuries derailed his professional progression. The McIlrath we're seeing in camp this season was the one we should've seen in camp two seasons ago. Injuries are a *****.

Sounds like a mixture of excuses and reality. You don't know if he would've made the team if he was fully healthy. What defenseman was McI beating out for a spot, even if he was healthy? If he had a great year last year why did AV insist on dressing Hunwick over him in the playoffs? Surely, with his unmatched growing in Hartford last season, McI should've been a part of the team....What about when Klein got hurt? Did the Rangers just forget about him in Hartford? Was he injured?

He was drafted in 2010, but before the 14-15 season, he had played in only 111 professional regular season games (109 AHL, 2 NHL).

Horrible luck......

Barely over a season of professional hockey (due to injury) 4 seasons after being drafted.

You keep bringing this up......So it was ALL injuries that held back a stud like McI. I get it.....Now is his time to shine....
There's so much more at play here than you being mad at the 5% of fans who always kept faith in the kid, or the fact that the Rangers made the mistake of taking him 10 OA.

I'm not mad......I'm realistic......Unless preseason games are the best judge of how a guy will play during the regular season.....Do you think they are?

If you're gonna be mad, at least be productively mad. Or, if you're going to be mad, stop trying to take away the kid's accomplishment, and the fans who are happy for him to realize that he's taken a huge step and has the potential to be a big part of the team this season, and in the seasons to come.

Yawn.....I'm not taking away the kids accomplishments...He had a good season last year and had a good camp this year. Be happy for him, I'm happy he finally put it all together to and made the team. He needs to actually prove he can be a consistent hockey player against the best competition in the world. Does he have the ability to do that? I don't know....Nobody knows. We are all just guessing....

The preseason can turn a decent player into a superstar. As Bill Parcells used to say you don't get a medal for trying, you get a medal for results......Stop handing out medals to McIlrath, let's see the results first.....

I'm glad he seems to have turned the corner, the Rangers can use somebody like McI. Lets just hope and pray he continues on an upward arc.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I said he wouldn't play. He didn't play.

I said he wouldn't play, the fanboys said I didn't know what I was talking about, because I hadn't seen him play in Hartford. THEY had seen him play. THEY knew something I didn't. I said it didn't matter what THEY or I thought of his play, my OPINION was based on what I thought the coach was going to do. THEY said I didn't know what I was talking about because I hadn't seen him play.

Finally, to shut everyone up, I said I'd bet $1000.00 that he wouldn't play another game all season. No one was willing to take that bet! (wisely)

Maybe they knew I was right after all...:naughty:

I'm actually mostly ok with what you're saying and I get it. You saw something in AV that made you think AV would not recall the player. It's not the strongest evidence but it shouldn't be cause for silverfish to freak out like this either. Unless you're lying and what you said in the past was different from what you're claiming now.

My only issue is what exactly do you mean by the 'fanboys'? The way you said it makes it sound like you think anyone who had a positive opinion was just a fanboy. That lumps a lot of respectable, knowledgeable guys together and throws them under the bus. Unless maybe you're just referring to a few specific guys. It's true there are guys who have trumpeted McI and had really stupid reasons for doing so. I feel like usually folks who talk positively talk about his growth as a prospect have good reasons.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i knew this would happen here.

the mcilrath fanclub would seek revenge against all the heathens that were vocal against their pet.

so predictable.

happy he made the club.
hes part of the family now
im happy for him

still a bad pick
gordie reached
not dylans fault
and tarasenko sucks

moving on

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
I'm actually mostly ok with what you're saying and I get it but the 'fanboys'? The way you said it makes it sound like you think anyone who had a positive opinion was just a fanboy. That lumps a lot of respectable, knowledgeable guys together and throws them under the bus. Unless maybe you're just referring to a few specific guys. It's true there are guys who have trumpeted McI and had really stupid reasons for doing so. I feel like usually folks who talk positively talk about his growth as a prospect have good reasons.

The fanboys are those that "lump" all over anyone who says anything even slightly negative. I've never said anything like "this was a horrible pick" because we could have picked player X. And yes, I agree that there are a lot of posters here who are very knowledgeable, much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to following prospect progression.

I'm thinking (hoping) he is an integral part of the D-corp this season. If he turns out to be what some people think he COULD be.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Except you'll find that those in the fanclub who have this pet are actually a nice subset of HFNYR that try to use logical means in their arguments. You know, like watching the kid regularly before judging him. How TERRIBLE! :)

Notes to your post in red.

HEATHENS, I SAY! HEATHENS.

i knew this would happen here.

the mcilrath fanclub would seek revenge against all the heathens that were vocal against their pet.

so predictable.

happy he made the club.
hes part of the family now
im happy for him

still a bad pick - Absolutely
gordie reached - No doubt about it
not dylans fault - Also very true
and tarasenko sucks - I don't think anyone would ever say that

moving on

blue2noise

Jul 4, 2006
www.gloryholeradio.com
Just the fact that we have somebody back there that has size and some attitude is a element we have been missing for a few years now . Guys will know when he is on the ice .....I just hope he remains smart on the after the whistle stuff . Some guys will try and bait him for sure . He will get better playing/practicing with better players although it won't be an overnight thing and there will be growing pains for us and him . I look forward to him getting into a game as soon as possible . I think he will make us a better team in the long run and more so if it keeps Glass in the stands .:nod:

Absolutely. Now dump Boyle and we'll be all set.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I wish people would stop fighting over Dylan. I totally understand everyone likes to be right but I'd rather everyone enjoy and support Dylan. If people are forced to defend themselves they will often root against Dylan succeeding. I used to root against James Patrick because I did not like him and I wanted to be right about him. Now decades later I realize I was being totally ridiculous.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I didn't see one person write here or in the Hartford thread or anywhere else that Dylan will make it in 2013 or 2014 training camps.

No we all said that he might get 10-20 games if injuries hit deep into the line up. Last year it did briefly, but rarely was there a situation where 2 guys were out at the same time, but lots of times one guy was out, or Hunwick was just outplaying JMoore.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Really a shame to see the same old crap being re - hashed. Who said or did not say what. I mean who gives a crap.

I do think it's a bit funny how a knee injury as severe as the one McI had is kinda glossed over around here.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Really a shame to see the same old crap being re - hashed. Who said or did not say what. I mean who gives a crap.

I do think it's a bit funny how a knee injury as severe as the one McI had is kinda glossed over around here.

It gets frustrating because there are people who make ridiculous predictions with certainty. When they're wrong they never mention it again and when they're right they rub it in everyones face forever.

The back and forth is petty but frankly a big portion of this board sets the stage for petty bickering with the way they talk to everyone else.

Wolfy*

Those who say McIlrath is injury prone have a valid point, we'll see how long he lasts up here. He did play most of the 14-15 season without any serious stuff.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Those who say McIlrath is injury prone have a valid point, we'll see how long he lasts up here. He did play most of the 14-15 season without any serious stuff.

As far as I know Dylan has had only one serious injury. That was the kneecap displacement he suffered in the 2012 summer development camp and probably came back a little early from. That knee injury followed him for the rest of the 12-13 season and at least a good portion of 13-14. Not saying there isn't anything else but.....I'm not sure he's even had a concussion. Micheletti likes to go on about all his missed time but it comes down to this--he missed about half of 12-13 and about a dozen games in 13-14. I kind of see it as a bit of a narrative to explain why it's taken him since the 2010 draft to finally make the team--not that it's his fault--basically having your kneecap displaced is a pretty ****ed up thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad