Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I would love to hear what anyone other than NYR personnel or the Farthord Courant have to say about him. Where can I get an opinion from someone without a horse in the race?

:deadhorse

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I would love to hear what anyone other than NYR personnel or the Farthord Courant have to say about him. Where can I get an opinion from someone without a horse in the race?

:deadhorse

The old Wolfpack thread is filled with progression comments on Mcilrath. More conveniently, if you're lucky, some of our WolfPack watchers will see your plea, and respond with reports. In a nutshell, he seems to have finally had a breakout year...

I won't comment, as all my info is secondhand....but there are several guys here that watch the games and are more than qualified to give you an opinion.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The old Wolfpack thread is filled with progression comments on Mcilrath. More conveniently, if you're lucky, some of our WolfPack watchers will see your plea, and respond with reports. In a nutshell, he seems to have finally had a breakout year...

I won't comment, as all my info is secondhand....but there are several guys here that watch the games and are more than qualified to give you an opinion.

Like I said, the fans are usually not as honest as you'd like them to be. I know I'm biased when it comes to NYR property, no shame in admitting it, but usually there's two sides of the coin and alot of opinions become a lovefest without criticism.

I've read mikos, like his analysis, and Beacon has been alot better now that he goes a little deeper when it comes to MCI.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Like I said, the fans are usually not as honest as you'd like them to be. I know I'm biased when it comes to NYR property, no shame in admitting it, but usually there's two sides of the coin and alot of opinions become a lovefest without criticism.

I've read mikos, like his analysis, and Beacon has been alot better now that he goes a little deeper when it comes to MCI.

Well there ya go. That's who I would have read, as well. Other than followers of the Rangers and coaches, I doubt you'll find much in the way of scouting/progress reports on DM. Take what you can get.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Or, have a look for yourself. Subscribe to hockeystreams.com and watch the WolfPack archives. It's not all that expensive.

Yeah I've watched a few the last two seasons. I have my own opinion, usually like to hear others, especially on MCI, this is the type of player no one can read on paper. You have to watch him, watch his linemates, watch his opposition, see how the coaches handle him in situations. This kind of stuff most people have no time for but its exactly whats needed to get a good read on him without having watched him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If Dylan would spend the summer with Barbra Underhill working on his right/left pivots 6 hours a day he could be a pretty darn good player. His reach and straight away speed are positives. His vulnerability like many very tall players comes from a agility perspective.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Big believer in McIlrath. What were the main points of the article (from those who are able to read it)?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Big believer in McIlrath. What were the main points of the article (from those who are able to read it)?

This link worked for me:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-jacobs-column-0528-20150527-column.html

Basically just that he is a much improved player. Go to guy. Throws huge, clean hits with out taking himself out of position. Solid defender. Plus player thru the playoffs.

He's just never going to be a stud, puck moving, D man.

I've been saying it for years. If he could be a nastier version of Mike Sauer, he would be solid asset.

Hopefully it's for the Rangers.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Well it sure sounds like he has a shot . The team could use a mean Dman that's fir sure and with the cap I'm good w throwing him out there as the 6th D. They need to love Boyle ideally

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Currently: a Kostka AHL/#8
Most-likely will be: a Gudas #6/7
Ceiling: a Sauer #4/5

Based on his draft position, he should've superseded Girardi already

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey

I miss Sauer so much. :cry:

He was like Dan Girardi lite. Just such a steady defenseman. A damn shame.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Essentially, he HAS to make the team this year.

Otherwise I don't see him clearing waivers. He's got enough of an interesting combination, at a good price, that someone will take a flyer on him.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Essentially, he HAS to make the team this year.

Otherwise I don't see him clearing waivers. He's got enough of an interesting combination, at a good price, that someone will take a flyer on him.

So he'd stay in the minors for another year.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
This link worked for me:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-jacobs-column-0528-20150527-column.html

Basically just that he is a much improved player. Go to guy. Throws huge, clean hits with out taking himself out of position. Solid defender. Plus player thru the playoffs.

He's just never going to be a stud, puck moving, D man.

I've been saying it for years. If he could be a nastier version of Mike Sauer, he would be solid asset.

Hopefully it's for the Rangers.

Thank you. The bold is basically what I care about the most. He wasn't drafted to be a puck-mover, he was drafted to bring snarl and bite to a group that hopefully had a few puck-movers.

If Sauer never gets hurt, I believe he's still playing with McDonagh to this day. That pair screamed like out future 1-2 after being developed and brought up together.

It seems evident to me that one of Girardi and Klein have to be moved to bring McIlrath into the fold next season. I think Klein's sub-par playoffs was more due to the injury and probably not having enough time to really properly get back into the groove. Think his contract is also an asset. Seems to me like if Sather HAS to move a guy on the back-end, it should be Girardi mainly due to cap purposes.

I'd really like to see McDonagh with the main squad. Hopefully he gets to the point one day where he's reliable enough to pair with McDonagh. For now, I'd take a Yandle-McIlrath. It seems like Yandle is tailor-made for AV's system and would be solid opposite Dylan. On paper, their games seem to mesh together really well. Yandle can skate, make nice passes and force the other team to defend while McIlrath can be the more reliable stay-at-home player next to him. I believe I've also heard McIlrath has a solid shot, so that could be an asset playing beside a player like Yandle.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

This is wrong. McIlrath is already likely able to be a 6/7 defenseman. He's highly likely to be at least a 4/5 defenseman and his ceiling is to be a faster, tougher version of Jeff Beukeboom on the first pairing.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This is wrong. McIlrath is already likely able to be a 6/7 defenseman. He's highly likely to be at least a 4/5 defenseman and his ceiling is to be a faster, tougher version of Jeff Beukeboom on the first pairing.

What possibly makes being a #4/5 likely? That's his ceiling.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Thank you. The bold is basically what I care about the most. He wasn't drafted to be a puck-mover, he was drafted to bring snarl and bite to a group that hopefully had a few puck-movers.

If Sauer never gets hurt, I believe he's still playing with McDonagh to this day. That pair screamed like out future 1-2 after being developed and brought up together.

It seems evident to me that one of Girardi and Klein have to be moved to bring McIlrath into the fold next season. I think Klein's sub-par playoffs was more due to the injury and probably not having enough time to really properly get back into the groove. Think his contract is also an asset. Seems to me like if Sather HAS to move a guy on the back-end, it should be Girardi mainly due to cap purposes.

I'd really like to see McDonagh with the main squad. Hopefully he gets to the point one day where he's reliable enough to pair with McDonagh. For now, I'd take a Yandle-McIlrath. It seems like Yandle is tailor-made for AV's system and would be solid opposite Dylan. On paper, their games seem to mesh together really well. Yandle can skate, make nice passes and force the other team to defend while McIlrath can be the more reliable stay-at-home player next to him. I believe I've also heard McIlrath has a solid shot, so that could be an asset playing beside a player like Yandle.

Girardi simply isn't getting moved. We are going to be dealing with this whale of a contract for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille