Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eichel is really overrated.

Larkin - Eichel
PPG: 0.93 - 1.06 (points per game)
CF: 54.5% - 50.9% (corsi for %)
CF Rel: 9.9% - 2.6% (relative corsi)
PDO - 97.4 - 98.8
OZs - 52.1% - 62.7% (offensive zone start %)
FO - 55% - 47.2% (face off win %)

Oh yeah, and Eichel plays with better linemates (Skinner and Reinhart for most of the season) and better puck moving defensemen than Larkin does.

Eichel has produced a ridiculous amount of his teams total offense to start his career thus far. Reinhart is a pretty meh top 6 player and Skinner is famous for being pretty difficult to play with. Even when he scored 30 goals in Carolina he seemed to do it almost independently of linemates.

Eichel continues to get better, I get that the Sabres haven't done a ton better this year, not really surprised as I didn't think Hutton could handle a full #1 workload or was good enough to be trusted to. But the problems in Buffalo aren't Eichel. He is a stud night in and night out. He has top 5 hands in the league and one of the more lethal releases. The league has just gotten a lot better in my opinion.

Larkin really is a wonderful player at this point. He has developed right into our highest hopes on him and looks like he will keep getting better. But if I have to choose between the two it is Eichel and it isn't particularly tough to be honest. Eichel just has a higher level in terms of what he can do. But I really think it is a tribute to how good Larkin is that he has entered the big boy future American center debate and I couldn't be happier about that. Dylan Larkin is a #1C in this league and as such can always be compared with other legitimate #1Cs like Eichel. Foundational players.

Reactions: Sentinel

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eichel does not know what a word DEFENCE means. Very one-dimensional = losing offensive center. Until that changes, I'll keep the guy very overrated and overpaid. That 10M is ridiculous deal.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Eichel has produced a ridiculous amount of his teams total offense to start his career thus far. Reinhart is a pretty meh top 6 player and Skinner is famous for being pretty difficult to play with. Even when he scored 30 goals in Carolina he seemed to do it almost independently of linemates.

Eichel continues to get better, I get that the Sabres haven't done a ton better this year, not really surprised as I didn't think Hutton could handle a full #1 workload or was good enough to be trusted to. But the problems in Buffalo aren't Eichel. He is a stud night in and night out. He has top 5 hands in the league and one of the more lethal releases. The league has just gotten a lot better in my opinion.

Larkin really is a wonderful player at this point. He has developed right into our highest hopes on him and looks like he will keep getting better. But if I have to choose between the two it is Eichel and it isn't particularly tough to be honest. Eichel just has a higher level in terms of what he can do. But I really think it is a tribute to how good Larkin is that he has entered the big boy future American center debate and I couldn't be happier about that. Dylan Larkin is a #1C in this league and as such can always be compared with other legitimate #1Cs like Eichel. Foundational players.

Never said Eichel wasn't very good and/or better than Larkin. Simply saying that Larkin is producing nearly just as well as Eichel is , despite being in worse circumstances and being better at basically everything non-scoring related.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Damn dude, 7 more points than last year in 9 less games. what a friggin stud muffin.

Did you know: ESPN.com still has Nyquist listed as a center lol.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Damn dude, 7 more points than last year in 9 less games. what a friggin stud muffin.

Did you know: ESPN.com still has Nyquist listed as a center lol.

Not shocked, they are still trying to figure out this conundrum...

liljaorworrell.jpg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Lol anyone that would take Larkin over Eichel is a blind homer or last name is Larkin. Dylan is our best player but Eichel is the superior player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just saw an interview with Holland saying that if the wings sign a superstar (Karlsson) Larkin might not be captain next. Just like I said. For those of you who were saying Larkin will be captain no matter who we sign or trade for....

Detroit Red Wings Ken Holland on when captain will be named

Might not be and likely are two different things and to me that was just classic Holland in terms of why give away things you want to do before you do them and to who, HSJ...

I think that would be a massive mistake to go in another direction. But who knows perhaps it is Karlsson they have in mind when talking there and it is a big part of their pursuit pitch currently, I still think Larkin's relationship with the actual core is much more important to have the C on and my guess is that is where it would wind up even when they did discuss it. Just that if a superstar did come in obviously he would have new competition to look at. I still think the likelihood of even Karlsson taking this from him is small, like worse than our lottery percentage number small. When he put together the USA Hockey thing, I think he really erased this from being a real competition and he followed up that by being a legitimate first line player and the universal leader on the team all season.

Snowballs chance, but hey why take that off the table in terms of if it is a part of your Karlsson pitch, don't hurt yourself in the negotiation. I expect Larkin will be named Captain in September though, regardless of off-season. Also, what they had maybe planned on as their pitch might evolve too, could be a large part of Holland deflecting the question. What Z or other guys told him while golfing in the summer might need an update for the next time they are golfing in this summer...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Might not be and likely are two different things and to me that was just classic Holland in terms of why give away things you want to do before you do them and to who, HSJ...

I think that would be a massive mistake to go in another direction. But who knows perhaps it is Karlsson they have in mind when talking there and it is a big part of their pursuit pitch currently, I still think Larkin's relationship with the actual core is much more important to have the C on and my guess is that is where it would wind up even when they did discuss it. Just that if a superstar did come in obviously he would have new competition to look at. I still think the likelihood of even Karlsson taking this from him is small, like worse than our lottery percentage number small. When he put together the USA Hockey thing, I think he really erased this from being a real competition and he followed up that by being a legitimate first line player and the universal leader on the team all season.

Snowballs chance, but hey why take that off the table in terms of if it is a part of your Karlsson pitch, don't hurt yourself in the negotiation. I expect Larkin will be named Captain in September though, regardless of off-season. Also, what they had maybe planned on as their pitch might evolve too could be a large part of Holland deflecting the question. What Z or other guys told him while golfing in the summer might need an update for the next time they are golfing in this summer...
If Karlsson says I'll sign if I get the "C" what do we do? I say you have to give it to him. Yeah I know his contract might be bad in like 6 years but he is a legit superstar in his prime and I would basically do anything to have a true 1D of his caliber here.
Btw I think if we got Jack Hughes that would entice Karlsson too!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Karlsson says I'll sign if I get the "C" what do we do? I say you have to give it to him. Yeah I know his contract might be bad in like 6 years but he is a legit superstar in his prime and I would basically do anything to have a true 1D of his caliber here.

I think we would have to be honest with Karlsson about how challenging that situation is going to be. As much as we like him, the dressing room was turned over from the Swedes to Larkin and company already this year. He is a Michigander and a fringe superstar himself at this point. He is likely to play a massive role in Team USA for at least a decade as a letter wearer. He isn't really a guy I would want to take the captaincy from here if I was Karlsson. Slap on the A, be one of the leaders for sure, but I think having somebody else, Hughes included just doesn't make a lot of sense. I have seen enough from Larkin clear back to when he was Captaining the USMNTDP over some more celebrated players that the dude just gets it. He honestly reminds me of the way Yzerman carried himself a lot.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think we would have to be honest with Karlsson about how challenging that situation is going to be. As much as we like him, the dressing room was turned over from the Swedes to Larkin and company already this year. He is a Michigander and a fringe superstar himself at this point. He is likely to play a massive role in Team USA for at least a decade as a letter wearer. He isn't really a guy I would want to take the captaincy from here if I was Karlsson. Slap on the A, be one of the leaders for sure, but I think having somebody else, Hughes included just doesn't make a lot of sense. I have seen enough from Larkin clear back to when he was Captaining the USMNTDP over some more celebrated players that the dude just gets it. He honestly reminds me of the way Yzerman carried himself a lot.
I get all this but you didn't answer the question lol . Karlsson says "promise me the C and I'll sign long term with the DRW" are you saying no to this?!If Larkin is a true leader like he has shown he is he should put his ego aside and be down for that under these conditions. That's a game changing move and massive talent upgrade on this team.Karlsson is a top 10 NHL player most years and I think if we got him and possibly Hughes we 100% make the playoffs next year if we avoid injuries.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think that's almost the best way for Karlsson to lose the room before he even sets foot in it, and I would have to think if he'd be the fit we hoped for. He would almost certainly be the most talented guy in the room, but the kids in that locker room seem to have taken it over and the main guys all seem to run together. Karlsson would be filling a talent gap at a needed position, but he wouldn't be stepping into a team that has a leadership vacuum.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think that's almost the best way for Karlsson to lose the room before he even sets foot in it, and I would have to think if he'd be the fit we hoped for. He would almost certainly be the most talented guy in the room, but the kids in that locker room seem to have taken it over and the main guys all seem to run together. Karlsson would be filling a talent gap at a needed position, but he wouldn't be stepping into a team that has a leadership vacuum.
In all fairness Karlsson deserves to captain this team if that's what he wants. We finished at the bottom of the league why would he come here and play second fiddle to Larkin and this group that's one of the worst teams in the league? Karlsson would be our new Lidstrom. Larkin with the C and no Karlsson or Karlsson with the C and Larkin with the A? How are we losing???

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In all fairness Karlsson deserves to captain this team if that's what he wants. We finished at the bottom of the league why would he come here and play second fiddle to Larkin and this group that's one of the worst teams in the league? Karlsson would be our new Lidstrom.

Karlsson deserves to be captain because he's stepping into a situation at the end of a rebuild? Our new Lidstrom would be a guy the Wings drafted and who came up through the system, took his lumps, and earned the respect of the team. Or he'd be someone like Chelios with a long pedigree of actually winning in the league and not just collecting hardware. And even Chelios didn't come in demanding a captaincy of any level.

If that's a prerequisite for Karlsson that reflects poorly on him, and I think you're underestimating how badly it could go over in the room.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Karlsson deserves to be captain because he's stepping into a situation at the end of a rebuild? Our new Lidstrom would be a guy the Wings drafted and who came up through the system, took his lumps, and earned the respect of the team. Or he'd be someone like Chelios with a long pedigree of actually winning in the league and not just collecting hardware. And even Chelios didn't come in demanding a captaincy of any level.

If that's a prerequisite for Karlsson that reflects poorly on him, and I think you're underestimating how badly it could go over in the room.
No, I'm saying Karlsson deserves the C because of his body of work and he is the clear best player the moment he walks through the doors. Meaning Lidstrom type talent not home grown .As for losing the locker room, this group has to realize you have to make concessions to acquire a talent like his. And the discussions between Karlsson, his agent Holland and Blashill don't need to be communicated to the entire team. I just feel like that's entitlement by the wings locker room to expect to get a player like Karlsson FOR FREE ( not giving up any assets) and not doing what he wants. What would the appeal for Karlsson to sign with us if we aren't willing to bend over backwards to accommodate his every wish? It's about icing the best roster possible and I feel like you do WHATEVER it takes to get grade A talent. And how you do know this is "the end of a rebuild "?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get all this but you didn't answer the question lol . Karlsson says "promise me the C and I'll sign long term with the DRW" are you saying no to this?!If Larkin is a true leader like he has shown he is he should put his ego aside and be down for that under these conditions. That's a game changing move and massive talent upgrade on this team.Karlsson is a top 10 NHL player most years and I think if we got him and possibly Hughes we 100% make the playoffs next year if we avoid injuries.

I would be surprised if he demanded that and I would remind him that we don't do things that way and being a part of an organization that really does think these things through and everything else involved in this kind of decision that is made beyond the player level is a part of why he should want to sign here. Again, I say this as someone that would love to see Karlsson, but if does that by trying to knock Larkin aside that is a problem. I don't see Karlsson ever requesting that outright though and it depends maybe Larkin himself throws this on the table which makes the whole picture different.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would be surprised if he demanded that and I would remind him that we don't do things that way and being a part of an organization that really does think these things through and everything else involved in this kind of decision that is made beyond the player level is a part of why he should want to sign here. Again, I say this as someone that would love to see Karlsson, but if does that by trying to knock Larkin aside that is a problem. I don't see Karlsson ever requesting that outright though and it depends maybe Larkin himself throws this on the table which makes the whole picture different.
How has Larkin shown to be a better leader in the NHL than Karlsson? This is his first year as the clear leader of the team and we literally lost almost every single night. And I doubt Karlsson asks for this it was hypothetical. Also why shouldn't Karlsson be considered to be captain anyway day one? Because he hasn't lost a bunch of games with us the past three years?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Captaincy is a lot more than talent.

I am not sure how you equate Karlsson and Lidstrom as anywhere being similar or close in talent. Karlsson may be a great offensive defenseman, but his defense is no where close to Lidstrom.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Captaincy is a lot more than talent.

I am not sure how you equate Karlsson and Lidstrom as anywhere being similar or close in talent. Karlsson may be a great offensive defenseman, but his defense is no where close to Lidstrom.
Yes I agree but Karlsson is a great leader aside from being a great player. I said he would be our new Lidstrom meaning the best 1D we have had since Nick. Not that he is better....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How has Larkin shown to be a better leader in the NHL than Karlsson? This is his first year as the clear leader of the team and we literally lose almost every single night. And I doubt Karlsson asks for this it was hypothetical.

We would have lost every single night without him... What do you think Kopitar is a bad leader? Karlsson has seen some lean years in Ottawa as well if we are just going off win percentages.

Larkin has been raved about as a leader since he entered the USA program, heck he was the captain of the glamour youth team that won a National Title on the club level as a 14 year old. He is a guy that when he was drafted the entire panel said would be a captain in the league. He says the right things and he does the right things. He does every off-season thing the team requests, he lives in the actual city limits and celebrates it.

I guess I am more amazed you still don't see why he is so liked. The kind of guy that can pick up a phone and setup an event with almost every American superstar in the league in the middle of an off-season. Larkin is revered and it is because of who he is. Like I said his demeanor, the way he competes all night all remind me of his future boss, The Captain #19.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In all fairness Karlsson deserves to captain this team if that's what he wants. We finished at the bottom of the league why would he come here and play second fiddle to Larkin and this group that's one of the worst teams in the league? Karlsson would be our new Lidstrom. Larkin with the C and no Karlsson or Karlsson with the C and Larkin with the A? How are we losing???

No he doesn’t. You don’t walk into a new locker room and take over like that.

Larkin got his start with the organization and has grown into the vocal, emotional, and leader by example by being around and learning from Zetterberg and Kronwall. He has the room’s ear, their respect.

The reason why Ken Holland isn’t annointing Larkin and he’s tossing out nonsense like this is because he’s waiting for the timing to be appropriate. The time to assign your captain isn’t the day you’re gutting the locker room in early April because you are going home while other teams aren’t playing in the playoffs. For an organization, and a player who are built on pride, they aren’t going to let the shadow of a failed season be cast on a symbol of the future and progress.

It is a virtual guarantee that Larkin is wearing the C on opening night next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No, I'm saying Karlsson deserves the C because of his body of work and he is the clear best player the moment he walks through the doors. Meaning Lidstrom type talent not home grown .As for losing the locker room, this group has to realize you have to make concessions to acquire a talent like his. And the discussions between Karlsson, his agent Holland and Blashill don't need to be communicated to the entire team. I just feel like that's entitlement by the wings locker room to expect to get a player like Karlsson FOR FREE ( not giving up any assets) and not doing what he wants. What would the appeal for Karlsson to sign with us if we aren't willing to bend over backwards to accommodate his every wish? It's about icing the best roster possible and I feel like you do WHATEVER it takes to get grade A talent. And how you do know this is "the end of a rebuild "?

Part of being the next Lidstrom isn't just being the best D since him, though. And if you're worried about entitlement, I'm not sure this sort of request wouldn't be a massive dose of entitlement in itself. He needs to sign with the Wings partly because they are willing to pay him a ton of money. But also because he knows the club typically stands by players as they age, that the guys in charge have a history of winning, and that the organization is willing to invest to make it happen. It probably doesn't hurt that he's friends with Z, and knows he could also enjoy playing hockey on an O6 franchise while living in a place where he could probably live a pretty normal life. The media won't exactly be busting his chops on a nightly basis.

Larkin might not be a better player, but he's been through the battles with the guys in that locker room for the past four years. That's going to carry a lot of weight with the other guys in that locker room that the Wings are looking at to take the next step and push the organization back to being a club that is respected on the ice.

And it's the end of the rebuild because the Wings would likely be pushed up the standings by adding a guy like Karlsson, and by the fact that the guys they are building around are just getting to the age where they are either going to have to start running with it more or some unpopular moves will have to be made.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
watch Helm's wife convince Holland to hand the captaincy over to Helm

now that would be an entertaining twist :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad