Dylan Larkin looks good so far

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree Larkin should be the favorite to get it even if we get Karlsson but not a lock. In a perfect world EK comes here doesn't care and Larkin earns it. But I think it's a little bit of entitlement if we sign a generational #1D in his prime who is also a fantastic leader and say "nope no way, Larkin is our captain. Nope he's from Michigan.Nope we drafted him so nope. No matter who comes here nope . Don't care if it's prime Lemieux, Gretzky no no no McDavid no." :laugh:

I'll put it this way, I believe the captaincy should be a unanimous decision between the players in the locker room, the coaching staff, the front office, and ownership. If I have Karlsson sitting in a conference room talking deals and he inquires about the captaincy (which he wouldn't), I would say "we have some internal candidates being considered, and we want this team at all levels to be in agreement with the way we are pushing the organization. We won't give you anything that resembles a guarantee. You need to come in and earn the respect of everyone from top to bottom, from Chris Illitch to Al Sobotka."

That being said, I think Karlsson is honorable enough that he won't create any fuss over the situation. And this is all contingent on Karlsson actually sitting down with the team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly I just have a really hard time seeing the captaincy being any sort of dealbreaker if Karlsson does decide he wants to be here

like he picks the Wings for whatever reason then is fickle enough about it that he goes with someone else if he can't be the captain? really? you'd think if something like that could be a dealbreaker he'd have just picked some better team to begin with if he wants to be a Wing it's obviously for some specific reason

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
honestly this is all such a moot point

what are the odds of Karlsson making it to free agency AND deciding on the Wings AND asking to be the captain AND being that adamant about it

hey guys what if the Oilers call Holland tomorrow and offer McDavid for Abdelkader but strongly feel that McDavid deserves to be the captain and will trade him to Pittsburgh instead if the Wings refuse?
I'd say hit the road McDavid! The only captain I'm willing to follow is Abdelkader!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm not against him getting it. My point is this team is awful and ALL OPTIONS should be on the table. If a bonafide superstar is willing to join our team we can't be rigid in thinking "no matter who comes here Larkin is our captain no matter what" like he is this great leader, superstar player that has accomplished so much in the NHL....
I can understand that.

Though honestly if EK signs here, I'd still pick Larkin. That's not a slight on Karlsson at all. Let Larkin be the good hometown boy saying the right things in post game interviews and being more in the mold of prior captains, and just let Karlsson be Karlsson and do his thing. Make him an Alternate.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I can understand that.

Though honestly if EK signs here, I'd still pick Larkin. That's not a slight on Karlsson at all. Let Larkin be the good hometown boy saying the right things in post game interviews and being more in the mold of prior captains, and just let Karlsson be Karlsson and do his thing. Make him an Alternate.
I think if we got Hughes and Yzerman here we would have a chance. I doubt he signs here now :(

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I can understand that.

Yeah. Now that we know where we're picking, ideal situation for me is to make Larkin captain, sign Karlsson and make him an alternate (take away Abby's A), and have Kronwall back for one more year as the other alternate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the 18-19 heat map is astounding

gjOW2nN.jpg

17-18 is similar impact

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I remember when Buffalo fans tried telling me that Larkin wasn't Eichel caliber (understandable), wasn't even Reinhart caliber, but was basically the Red Wing version of Zemgus Girgensons.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I know games played is a factor, but 3 years into each of their careers would anyone expect Larkin to be tied with Matthews' career high in point for a season?
Larkin's motor is going every shift of every game. It's why he's going to be named captain. Meanwhile, Matthews brings it maybe once every four games but truly dominates. Put Larkin's brain in Matthew's body and you'd have the best player in the league.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Larkin's motor is going every shift of every game. It's why he's going to be named captain. Meanwhile, Matthews brings it maybe once every four games but truly dominates. Put Larkin's brain in Matthew's body and you'd have the best player in the league.

Sounds like if someone had put Xavier Oullett's brain into Ryan Sproul's body, you'd have a beast D man. Or even better, a brain made of something other than straw into Brendan Smith's body!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

It's really too bad players like Matthews and Eichel are lazy out there and also don't care much for the defensive side of the game. They could really be much more dominant than they are.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I remember when Buffalo fans tried telling me that Larkin wasn't Eichel caliber (understandable), wasn't even Reinhart caliber, but was basically the Red Wing version of Zemgus Girgensons.

I've mainly lurked around here for a few years before I decided recently to get over my nerves and start posting. But there was a 2014 Redraft thread a couple years ago that actually got me to post in response to people arguing Reinhart should go ahead of Larkin in a redraft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't see EK coming to Detroit, so ultimately it doesn't matter. But going forward, I'm not convinced that EK is a more impactful player than Larkin.

More talented? Absolutely. But his health is still murky, and I think a "clearly less than 100 percent" Karlsson, while still a very good player, doesn't have an argument for the captaincy over an "entering his prime" Larkin.

If the C was just about talent, Fedorov would have worn it nearly every year he was here.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I've mainly lurked around here for a few years before I decided recently to get over my nerves and start posting. But there was a 2014 Redraft thread a couple years ago that actually got me to post in response to people arguing Reinhart should go ahead of Larkin in a redraft.

To be fair, Larkin didn't really elevate himself above Reinhart until last season

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So... what can Larkin improve upon this offseason? Interested to hear what his focus is this summer.

Last summer he said he wanted to hit 30 goals and he did it in remarkable fashion.

If he can improve upon this season, that would be pretty insane.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So... what can Larkin improve upon this offseason? Interested to hear what his focus is this summer.

Last summer he said he wanted to hit 30 goals and he did it in remarkable fashion.

If he can improve upon this season, that would be pretty insane.

Cut down on his penalties, biggest weakness in his game. Continue to become a better 2 way player.

Reactions: TheMule93

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Cut down on his penalties, biggest weakness in his game. Continue to become a better 2 way player.

Seconded on this. I don't think it's something that he can really work on entirely in the offseason, more of a mentality in not letting emotions run to hot, but he could use a summer of working with some players who excel in keeping the puck protected (think: Kane) and learning effective ways to take the puck away without relying heavily on "illegal" stick work. I feel like if you could look at Larkin's penalty history this year, it would be a lot of hook/slash/trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad