Dylan Larkin looks good so far

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
How has Larkin shown to be a better leader in the NHL than Karlsson? This is his first year as the clear leader of the team and we literally lost almost every single night. And I doubt Karlsson asks for this it was hypothetical. Also why shouldn't Karlsson be considered to be captain anyway day one? Because he hasn't lost a bunch of games with us the past three years?

Look at what Doughty (an alternate captain) was saying near the end of the season. How he wished they could get all their games done and over with at once. It was a really pathetic display, IMO.

Larkin, on the other hand, gave it his all every single night. No matter what the scoreboard said, no matter if they were already eliminated, nothing mattered. Every single night Larkin was the best player on the team and he provided an example to everyone else. That's a leader.

Karlsson was a similar leader to Larkin in Ottawa. But when you consider Larkin's history and experience with the team, he has bought into everything from day 1, then that tips the scales decidedly in his favour.

I don't know if Larkin is a better captain than Karlsson in a vacuum. But Larkin is the leader of the Detroit Red Wings, regardless of what's on his chest.

Reactions: mantha39

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I would be surprised if he demanded that and I would remind him that we don't do things that way and being a part of an organization that really does think these things through and everything else involved in this kind of decision that is made beyond the player level is a part of why he should want to sign here. Again, I say this as someone that would love to see Karlsson, but if does that by trying to knock Larkin aside that is a problem. I don't see Karlsson ever requesting that outright though and it depends maybe Larkin himself throws this on the table which makes the whole picture different.
I would be utterly shocked if he demanded that, but if he did, then I wouldn't want him on the team period. Conversely, if the RW offer him the captaincy as part of the deal, he should walk away. I can't stress enough how badly it would reflect on the party in question.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
watch Helm's wife convince Holland to hand the captaincy over to Helm

now that would be an entertaining twist :laugh:
And in all honesty that would make more sense than handing it to Karlsson (or anybody with no prior ties to the organization) right off the bat.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Look at what Doughty (an alternate captain) was saying near the end of the season. How he wished they could get all their games done and over with at once. It was a really pathetic display, IMO.

Larkin, on the other hand, gave it his all every single night. No matter what the scoreboard said, no matter if they were already eliminated, nothing mattered. Every single night Larkin was the best player on the team and he provided an example to everyone else. That's a leader.

Karlsson was a similar leader to Larkin in Ottawa. But when you consider Larkin's history and experience with the team, he has bought into everything from day 1, then that tips the scales decidedly in his favour.

I don't know if Larkin is a better captain than Karlsson in a vacuum. But Larkin is the leader of the Detroit Red Wings, regardless of what's on his chest.
Really? Doughty has won two Stanley cups as a key contributor. You are not serious :laugh:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
You would tell Connor McDavid or Kucherov to take a hike to make Larkin the captain? You are not serious either....

If a UFA demands captaincy in order to sign, it's best to take a pass regardless of how good the player us. After all, you do need a team to win, and a new player coming in demanding such thing will not sit well with the core you're trying to build.

This new core is pretty much being built around Larkin, the younger guys seem to look to him as their leader. To keep a happy and healthy environment, it's best to give the C to Dylan.

Reactions: mantha39

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If a UFA demands captaincy in order to sign, it's best to take a pass regardless of how good the player us. After all, you do need a team to win, and a new player coming in demanding such thing will not sit well with the core you're trying to build.

This new core is pretty much being built around Larkin, the younger guys seem to look to him as their leader. To keep a happy and healthy environment, it's best to give the C to Dylan.
You do realize this is an opinion based off emotions and not logic don't you?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You do realize this is an opinion based off emotions and not logic don't you?

I don't know, Messier went to Vancouver and demanded a boatload of stuff, most of which he got, and he upset a lot of people within the team, and the fans to no end. If he or any other player has to have the captaincy otherwise they walk, they are likely to be a little too ego driven. Larkin is the right man for the Captaincy at this point, and there are few UFA's out there that would change my mind. Erik Karlsson is not one of them either, and I honestly don't think he would demand such a thing, and I also don't think he has interest in coming here at this time.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It's actually based on logic because players have emotions and you need to consider that. It's better to build a healthy environment rather than a toxic one.
You're ASSUMING the environment would be toxic if a superstar came to the team and was named captain. That's not a foregone conclusion. Plus these players our "core" are not in a position to dictate what happens with roster moves and who are named captains. The organization does.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't know, Messier went to Vancouver and demanded a boatload of stuff, most of which he got, and he upset a lot of people within the team, and the fans to no end. If he or any other player has to have the captaincy otherwise they walk, they are likely to be a little too ego driven. Larkin is the right man for the Captaincy at this point, and there are few UFA's out there that would change my mind. Erik Karlsson is not one of them either, and I honestly don't think he would demand such a thing, and I also don't think he has interest in coming here at this time.
We had the most REGULATION losses this season. This team is f***ing terrible man!Do you guys really think all options are off limits?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
You're ASSUMING the environment would be toxic if a superstar came to the team and was named captain. That's not a foregone conclusion. Plus these players our "core" are not in a position to dictate what happens with roster moves and who are named captains. The organization does.

I'm assuming for a good reason, because there seems to be a group of young players that are somewhat clicking together as of late, and in the center of them there's Dylan Larkin, whom the Wings have alluded multiple times that he will be the next captain. I think it's a legit worry if an outsider comes in and takes that spot. I would be completely OK with this if there wasn't a player like Dylan around.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm assuming for a good reason, because there seems to be a group of young players that are somewhat clicking together as of late, and in the center of them there's Dylan Larkin, whom the Wings have alluded multiple times that he will be the next captain. I think it's a legit worry if an outsider comes in and takes that spot. I would be completely OK with this if there wasn't a player like Dylan around.
Let's not forget our "great young core" has lead us to one of the worst records in the entire league. All options should be available to get better. This last month of the season could very well be fool's gold.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We had the most REGULATION losses this season. This team is ****ing terrible man!Do you guys really think all options are off limits?

What does having the most regulation losses have to do with who our Captain is????? Larkin is the reason we are trending upwards and not an absolute train wreck.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Let's not forget our "great young core" has lead us to one of the worst records in the entire league. All options should be available to get better. This last month of the season could very well be fool's gold.
What is up with your one man campaign against Larkin getting the C (which hasn't happened yet), to give it to a player who's not even on the Wing's roster?

In terms of the current players who are actually on the team, Larkin is the obvious choice.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What is up with your one man campaign against Larkin getting the C (which hasn't happened yet), to give it to a player who's not even on the Wing's roster?

In terms of the current players who are actually on the team, Larkin is the obvious choice.
I'm not against him getting it. My point is this team is awful and ALL OPTIONS should be on the table. If a bonafide superstar is willing to join our team we can't be rigid in thinking "no matter who comes here Larkin is our captain no matter what" like he is this great leader, superstar player that has accomplished so much in the NHL....

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly this is all such a moot point

what are the odds of Karlsson making it to free agency AND deciding on the Wings AND asking to be the captain AND being that adamant about it

hey guys what if the Oilers call Holland tomorrow and offer McDavid for Abdelkader but strongly feel that McDavid deserves to be the captain and will trade him to Pittsburgh instead if the Wings refuse?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not against him getting it. My point is this team is awful and ALL OPTIONS should be on the table. If a bonafide superstar is willing to join our team we can't be rigid in thinking "no matter who comes here Larkin is our captain no matter what" like he is this great leader, superstar player that has accomplished so much in the NHL....

You do realize that the captaincy does not go to the best player or the biggest superstar, right? Why doesn't Patrick Kane wear a letter for the Blackhawks? Why didn't Suter or Parise take the captaincy of the Wild? Why doesn't Gaudreau wear a letter for the Flames? Why didn't Tavares get the C for Toronto? Or Marleau?

The captaincy has more to do with what a player embodies as a leader in the locker room and what they have given to the franchise they play for, not their statistical accomplishments in the NHL.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You do realize that the captaincy does not go to the best player or the biggest superstar, right? Why doesn't Patrick Kane wear a letter for the Blackhawks? Why didn't Suter or Parise take the captaincy of the Wild? Why doesn't Gaudreau wear a letter for the Flames? Why didn't Tavares get the C for Toronto? Or Marleau?

The captaincy has more to do with what a player embodies as a leader in the locker room and what they have given to the franchise they play for, not their statistical accomplishments in the NHL.
Karlsson is one of the better leaders in the entire NHL. It just so happens he is a superstar.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Karlsson is one of the better leaders in the entire NHL. It just so happens he is a superstar.

That's not what you implied in the message I responded to. I'll quote what I was responding to.

"no matter who comes here Larkin is our captain no matter what" like he is this great leader, superstar player that has accomplished so much in the NHL....

You are implying that Larkin is somehow a flawed captain candidate because he isn't a superstar or has yet to accomplish "so much" in the NHL. And I just said, you don't have to be the best player to be the captain. Larkin is a better leader for this team because he's already led this team. Karlsson hasn't done jack shit to influence this locker room in any way, shape, or form. But sure, let's keep an open mind and consider all options. You aren't wrong to do so. I'll set some odds for the next captain of the Red Wings.

Dylan Larkin 1:10000
Erik Karlsson 10000:1

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's not what you implied in the message I responded to. I'll quote what I was responding to.

You are implying that Larkin is somehow a flawed captain candidate because he isn't a superstar or has yet to accomplish "so much" in the NHL. And I just said, you don't have to be the best player to be the captain. Larkin is a better leader for this team because he's already led this team. Karlsson hasn't done jack **** to influence this locker room in any way, shape, or form. But sure, let's keep an open mind and consider all options. You aren't wrong to do so. I'll set some odds for the next captain of the Red Wings.

Dylan Larkin 1:10000
Erik Karlsson 10000:1
I agree Larkin should be the favorite to get it even if we get Karlsson but not a lock. In a perfect world EK comes here doesn't care and Larkin earns it. But I think it's a little bit of entitlement if we sign a generational #1D in his prime who is also a fantastic leader and say "nope no way, Larkin is our captain. Nope he's from Michigan.Nope we drafted him so nope. No matter who comes here nope . Don't care if it's prime Lemieux, Gretzky no no no McDavid no." :laugh:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Whether it's a fool's gold or not, guys like Athanasiou, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek, Rasmussen, etc seems to be the core we're going with, and it's an understanding that Larkin is the guy to lead this core. Unless you're planning to scratch this rebuild and throw away the time invested in this group, there's no need for disruptions.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Whether it's a fool's gold or not, guys like Athanasiou, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek, Rasmussen, etc seems to be the core we're going with, and it's an understanding that Larkin is the guy to lead this core. Unless you're planning to scratch this rebuild and throw away the time invested in this group, there's no need for disruptions.
Signing Karlsson is a "disruption"?! I'm yes then I want a disruption!!

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm mean do you guys like finishing almost dead last?? We have to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get better. No options should be left off the table. We are not in a position to decide to tell superstar FA's they can't have a shot at being a captain on a roster like this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad