Dylan Larkin looks good so far

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Seconded on this. I don't think it's something that he can really work on entirely in the offseason, more of a mentality in not letting emotions run to hot, but he could use a summer of working with some players who excel in keeping the puck protected (think: Kane) and learning effective ways to take the puck away without relying heavily on "illegal" stick work. I feel like if you could look at Larkin's penalty history this year, it would be a lot of hook/slash/trip.
agreed on the penalties. I think at times it is when he is tired and frustrated because he has to play so many minutes

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Cut down on his penalties, biggest weakness in his game. Continue to become a better 2 way player.

his power play production could use some work too,continues to be super lackluster for a player of his caliber

tough to say how much of that is him and how much of it is the players around him but I definitely think there's a fair amount of room for improvement there

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
his power play production could use some work too,continues to be super lackluster for a player of his caliber

tough to say how much of that is him and how much of it is the players around him but I definitely think there's a fair amount of room for improvement there

This is brings up something that I think he could realistically improve on. Larkin really struggles to be as impactful in a set offensive zone possession as he is when he's on the rush. If he can find a way to set up teammates and score as much when the game is slowed down and requires even more poise, I think he would become that much better of a player.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Yeah good point. That's probably the big one that I'm sure we'll hear about.

He seems to have found his place as a bumper. He should watch tape of Crosby imo, I think he can have that type of impact on the PP (obviously not to the extent of Sid).

Gives him the ability to control center of the ice and help win pucks basically everywhere.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Full 60 podcast this week is with Brandon Naurato who is a Wings skill consultant. Again you have to be an Athletic member to hear this, but if you have that subscription the listen was fascinating. He talks very fondly about Larkin, a player he has been working with long before the Wings.

Honestly really happy they have this guy in the setup.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
No, Feds was not a lazy player at all.
I didn't mean to imply Feds was lazy.
I watch larkin with the puck and see flashes of Feds with Larkins stride and just how wide his stride and puck movements. Maybe he's been watching old film.
Feds is my favorite Wing all time but i see more motor in Larkin,but Feds was so good and smooth maybe he made things look to effortless.They both backcheck like animals,I see Feds in Larkins game.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I watch larkin with the puck and see flashes of Feds with Larkins stride and just how wide his stride and puck movements. Maybe he's been watching old film.
Feds is my favorite Wing all time but i see more motor in Larkin,but Feds was so good and smooth maybe he made things look to effortless.They both backcheck like animals,I see Feds in Larkins game.

One could say Larkin is like a faster post 2000 Yzerman, or a more offensively inclined Draper. I mean comparisons become pretty useless after awhile. Larkin looks like Larkin.

Reactions: turkleton85

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I also see a lot of Fedex in him. Maybe that extra gear on skating is even faster, but Fedorov's skating was so smooth. Smoothest proably ever.

Only big difference is the shot, which Larkin has to develop more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad