Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
For the record I was being sarcastic, not readin anything into this... Here was the follow up tweet, which was a good response of leadership from the kids

Read the follow up from that in my previous post. Embarrassing two kids because they were “running late” after receiving treatment. Coach didn’t know so punishes players. Sounds like poor communication between staff taken out on kids.

I can’t stand this power bullshit from coaches.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Read the follow up from that in my previous post. Embarrassing two kids because they were “running late” after receiving treatment. Coach didn’t know so punishes players. Sounds like poor communication between staff taken out on kids.

I can’t stand this power bullshit from coaches.

lol wait. They were getting treatment, showed up on time, and then got punished for not showing up....early?

gotta love dipshit sports coaches

Reactions: joshjull

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Very convenient that they were two high profile players as well; one a returnee and one an NHL’er.

Seems like a classic gimmicky power move from a coach that wants to set the tone early.
Probably learned this type of thing from Patrick Roy.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Very convenient that they were two high profile players as well; one a returnee and one an NHL’er.

Seems like a classic gimmicky power move from a coach that wants to set the tone early.
Probably learned this type of thing from Patrick Roy.
Yeah, I doubt they were even embarrassed. Just something to do early on to send a message to the rest of the team

Reactions: Dirty Dog

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
Btw this would have been a non-issue, that whole Dach/Cozens 'incident', if there were no social media.
I just took part in it, blowing it up even bigger, by posting a little anecdote which was even less than that, just a short ' you're 10 minutes early, sir'

already regretting posting about non-issues..

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I let him in. But it is rude and disrespectful if you are early, the same way as if being late. It doesn't matter to me if it's 10 min early or late, i mean whats the difference, both have to be looked at objectively as not on time.

if he was 5 or 10 minutes late, that would have been better because i was expecting him. He had a two hour window, and he arrives 10 minutes before that. It took him about an hour, which he already knew bcs it was a standard procedure.

Look, it's egotistical, bcs he wanted to finish as early as possible and have some extra time.
Don't tell me what i'm obviously not if you don't know all the facts.

I’d characterize him as prompt and disciplined.

Re: Dach and Cozens. Two 19-20 year olds were late to practice. News at 11. Total non-story.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I suddenly feel so lonely..

I better move to France :laugh:
You're good. I think most people just have a job to do, usually do their best and prefer not to catch shit when they have good intentions. We assume others are the same way. Like, "hey, that could have been me."

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I’d characterize him as prompt and disciplined.

Re: Dach and Cozens. Two 19-20 year olds were late to practice. News at 11. Total non-story.
Right. I just really don't see an issue with any of this.

Early is on time, and it doesn't have to be excessive. If practice starts at 11:30 they start practicing at 11:30, its not roll in at 11:30 and everyone gets organized by 11:40. The principal here is pretty reasonable. Ive never seen a team that didn't operate this way.

As for the reason being treatment, they sat out a practice. It's not like this coach used this to cut them, bench them from games, or humiliate them. It was a simple procedural message.

I know of college teams with the same standard. You can be late if it's something like this, but the team shouldn't be waiting on you, they should know you're running late.

Maybe its gimmicky but the none of the coach, cozens, or dach really did anything wrong.

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
You're good. I think most people just have a job to do, usually do their best and prefer not to catch shit when they have good intentions. We assume others are the same way. Like, "hey, that could have been me."
You are right, i felt he was egotistical by cutting corners. I think i can sense that, you know, by reading people and all this stuff.. Sometimes it's hard to get a message across on anonymous message boards.

Maybe Tourigny is already sorry for what he did. It's mostly ignorance which leads to things escalating, i think this was such a case. Maybe he thought he couldn't apologize publicly, because that would undermine his authority, especially when such things happen at the beginning of a camp.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I let him in. But it is rude and disrespectful if you are early, the same way as if being late. It doesn't matter to me if it's 10 min early or late, i mean whats the difference, both have to be looked at objectively as not on time.

The ONLY WAY to make sure you are on time for EVERYTHING is make sure you are early for some things. It's pretty simply, if you are 10 minutes early, you can sit around and occupy your time with something else. If you are late, you can recover 10 minutes. Is it efficient to always arrive 10 minutes early. No. I wouldn't be using the French as an example of anything for work.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
RE: Dylan and Kirby being excused from Practice for being "late".

I don't feel we have the full story about what exactly happened in the locker room for these guys. These guys are veterans of the team, and it's a leadership/teaching moment for them. I'm curious how much time ahead did they go to receive treatment before going to the ice. Did they go into treatment 5 mins before hitting the ice? Or did they go into treatment 45 mins before hitting the ice?

I'm going to guess for a coach, it's an issue of preparedness and utilizing your time wisely before the game/practice, especially for the vets of the team to show the younger kids, something that I think in the real world people can appreciate. As long as he made it well known to the players about the potential punishment ahead of time, and he holds the players accountable across the board, while it may seem cruel or egotistical to others, I'm fine with it.

There was a time of Reinhart missing practice because of a missed informed text message. He should've been punished then, and glad he was.

I think people are making a bigger deal of it than it really was.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
If someone's coming at noon and I have fifteen minutes to tidy up quick or hop in the shower or pick up a kid, I can see it being annoying having someone show up knocking on the door before their scheduled time. If I show up early to a noon appointment and can't be seen until noon, I don't have any right to be put off. We agreed to noon and if I show up earlier than we agreed, it's like I'm telling the other person that my time is more valuable than theirs.

Within an organization the above is null and void, though. People's times are not equally valuable and there are clear power differences.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Right. I just really don't see an issue with any of this.

Early is on time, and it doesn't have to be excessive. If practice starts at 11:30 they start practicing at 11:30, its not roll in at 11:30 and everyone gets organized by 11:40. The principal here is pretty reasonable. Ive never seen a team that didn't operate this way.

As for the reason being treatment, they sat out a practice. It's not like this coach used this to cut them, bench them from games, or humiliate them. It was a simple procedural message.

I know of college teams with the same standard. You can be late if it's something like this, but the team shouldn't be waiting on you, they should know you're running late.

Maybe its gimmicky but the none of the coach, cozens, or dach really did anything wrong.

In the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal. I agree with you and @Der Jaeger on that. I’m just not a fan of coaches flexing their power just because they can. It was pointless dick move.

This is a camp run by Team Canada. These kids have no say on when anything happens. If they got treatment it would have been at the suggestion of Team Canada staff. If the coach didn’t know they got treatment, thats a failure by the Team Canada staff to let him know. Which means the kids were called out for things beyond their control.

I’m shaking my head at the idea some put forth that at least the coach gave them a choice to practice or not. This one is a doozy. How naive does one have to be to believe they really had a choice. “Hey you can practice but if you do it will destroy the rules structure I’m (coach) implementing. So go ahead f you want....”

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
In the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal. I agree with you and @Der Jaeger on that. I’m just not a fan of coaches flexing their power just because they can. It was pointless dick move.

This is a camp run by Team Canada. These kids have no say on when anything happens. If they got treatment it would have been at the suggestion of Team Canada staff. If the coach didn’t know they got treatment, thats a failure by the Team Canada staff to let him know. Which means the kids were called out for things beyond their control.

I’m shaking my head at the idea some put forth that at least the coach gave them a choice to practice or not. This one is a doozy. How naive does one have to be to believe they really had a choice. “Hey you can practice but if you do it will destroy the rules structure I’m (coach) implementing. So go ahead f you want....”

I think its hard to say if its a pointless power flex or not without being there. I could definitely see it being either. Its not unheard of for coaches to "make an example of" or be hardest on prominent players, where there's an understanding with the players that its not personal, and they understand the role they're playing. Of course he could just be a jerk and made a big stink out of nothing as well.

Regarding the treatment communication, I think that depends on what was outlined before. They may have been told it was their responsibility to communicate training timetables, and not on the trainers.

In the end, I guess its just difficult to see the relationship and dynamic they have to know if it was just something to be used as a "learning experience" or a coach on a power trip.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think its hard to say if its a pointless power flex or not without being there. I could definitely see it being either. Its not unheard of for coaches to "make an example of" or be hardest on prominent players, where there's an understanding with the players that its not personal, and they understand the role they're playing. Of course he could just be a jerk and made a big stink out of nothing as well.

Regarding the treatment communication, I think that depends on what was outlined before. They may have been told it was their responsibility to communicate training timetables, and not on the trainers.

In the end, I guess its just difficult to see the relationship and dynamic they have to know if it was just something to be used as a "learning experience" or a coach on a power trip.

Fair enough.

I just don’t like when coaches make theses flexes (and it was one) when the power dynamic is so skewed in their favor. That coach is known for being big on accountability/adherence to his rules

He pulled the “well you can practice but it sends the wrong message” card. Which is effectively telling them they can’t practice and makes it about them willing to own up to their “mistake”. From all accounts Dach/Cozens are good guys. So the coach knew they wouldn’t practice and the outcome of the situation was never in doubt from his pov. From all I know about Dach/Cozens, I doubt they were expecting what happened. They’re not trouble makers or head cases. Which leads me to believe that they weren’t aware they did anything wrong.

As I said in a previous post, its not really a big deal in this specific situation. But I’ve seen a lot of it in youth hockey during my coaching days. Its a huge pet peeve of mine when coaches go out of their way to flex like this. Plus I’m bored so I keep commenting on this. :laugh:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Fair enough.

I just don’t like when coaches make theses flexes (and it was one) when the power dynamic is so skewed in their favor. That coach is known for being big on accountability/adherence to his rules

He pulled the “well you can practice but it sends the wrong message” card. Which is effectively telling them they can’t practice and makes it about them willing to own up to their “mistake”. From all accounts Dach/Cozens are good guys. So the coach knew they wouldn’t practice and the outcome of the situation was never in doubt from his pov. From all I know about Dach/Cozens, I doubt they were expecting what happened. They’re not trouble makers or head cases. Which leads me to believe that they weren’t aware they did anything wrong.

As I said in a previous post, its not really a big deal in this specific situation. But I’ve seen a lot of it in youth hockey during my coaching days. Its a huge pet peeve of mine when coaches go out of their way to flex like this. Plus I’m bored so I keep commenting on this. :laugh:
Yeah but cozens scored so clearly it was effective :sarcasm:

I dont mind the conversation continuing. There's nothing else happening, so I'm definitely down to just keep talking coaching principles

Reactions: joshjull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad