Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Age Data Shows the Sabres Shouldn't Plan on a Large Impact from Cozens Next Season

Great article.

Keep expectations down, don't expect him to be a game-changer year 1, and DON'T start him at center.

Some of the conclusions don't seem to follow the data. It's like the author just had to cram his viewpoint in there, data be damned. E.g., the metrics show no difference in defensive impact at C vs W and little difference in offensive impact between the two positions for teenage forwards. Conclusion: the Sabres would be utterly incompetent to play Cozens at center. He also points to Dach as what we should expect from Cozens next season---even though Dach entered the NHL coming off a WHL season of 73 points in 62 games, while Cozens is coming off a campaign where he scored 85 in 51. There's no logical reason to believe Cozens' D+2 season (assuming it's played in the NHL) shouldn't be better than Dach's D+1.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Conclusion: the Sabres would be utterly incompetent to play Cozens at center. He also points to Dach as what we should expect from Cozens next season---even though Dach entered the NHL coming off a WHL season of 73 points in 62 games, while Cozens is coming off a campaign where he scored 85 in 51. There's no logical reason to believe Cozens' D+2 season (assuming it's played in the NHL) shouldn't be better than Dach's D+1.
Didn't Dach play the center in Chicago? Why then can't we put Cozens as the center of the third line, for example?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He also points to Dach as what we should expect from Cozens next season---even though Dach entered the NHL coming off a WHL season of 73 points in 62 games, while Cozens is coming off a campaign where he scored 85 in 51. There's no logical reason to believe Cozens' D+2 season (assuming it's played in the NHL) shouldn't be better than Dach's D+1.

Its also kind of weird that Dach is brought up at all. Just because they were drafted from the same league and both play center means they are comparable?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Its also kind of weird that Dach is brought up at all. Just because they were drafted from the same league and both play center means they are comparable?

Yeah, it's bizarre. The comparison is a lazy one, at best. OK, they're both tall Cs drafted out of the WHL in the 2019 draft. Their seasons prior entering the NHL aren't at all similar. The author doesn't point to any features of their games that are similar. And he sure doesn't point to anything that would suggest we should expect Cozens to struggle significantly more to adapt to the NHL as a rookie (which is what would have to happen for him, next season, to produce at the level Dach did this season).

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Age Data Shows the Sabres Shouldn't Plan on a Large Impact from Cozens Next Season

Great article.

Keep expectations down, don't expect him to be a game-changer year 1, and DON'T start him at center.
I’m not sure who is expecting Cozens to have a large impact outside of casual fans. I think most logical fans don’t expect he’ll come in and be a 50 pt 2 line C.

I think most would agree that if he comes to camp and earns a spot he can be put in a position to be a positive contributor.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’m not sure who is expecting Cozens to have a large impact outside of casual fans. I think most logical fans don’t expect he’ll come in and be a 50 pt 2 line C.

I think most would agree that if he comes to camp and earns a spot he can be put in a position to be a positive contributor.

There's been a sizable amount of roster mocks here, and elsewhere, where he's 3C, 2C, 2W. So, respectfully, there's definitely people who bank on him having a good impact immediately.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Skinner - Eichel - Cozens
VO - x - Sam

That looks like a fun top 6
Girgensons, pominville and vesey have all been fine with skinner and eichel. Even though I might not be as high on cozens as some others, it seems like a really manageable role and I'd rather have him there than trying to stay afloat with lesser linemates

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
There's been a sizable amount of roster mocks here, and elsewhere, where he's 3C, 2C, 2W. So, respectfully, there's definitely people who bank on him having a good impact immediately.
Respectfully 3C and 2W are the 2 spots where if given the right mates and deployment, he could provide a positive contribution.

If he gels with Skinner and gets boatloads of O zone draws and PP2 deployment he can definitely end up a positive contributor. Have Okposo handle big situation D zone draws where you don’t trust Cozens to handle the assignment.

I think it’s reasonable to mock him in one of those 2 spots, with reasonable expectations(not 2C tho, not ready) given the depth chart right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Slotting him in seems to be more about a lack of options than reasonable projections that he will make a huge impact.

Anyone who has been paying attention recently should have seen the development of players like Mitts and Reinhart and know that he is unlikely to step into a major role and have a big impact in his draft + 2 season.

That said, having him play either as a 3C or a complementary 2W isn't really expecting a ton for him, IMO.

Now if anyone thinks that he will be the answer at 2C this coming season....

Reactions: sabresEH

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Slotting him in seems to be more about a lack of options than reasonable projections that he will make a huge impact.

Anyone who has been paying attention recently should have seen the development of players like Mitts and Reinhart and know that he is unlikely to step into a major role and have a big impact in his draft + 2 season.

That said, having him play either as a 3C or a complementary 2W isn't really expecting a ton for him, IMO.

I am not as sure about Cozen's inability to play as some. He is a better skater, has more of a 200 foot presence and seems to me to have more fire in his belly than what I have seen from Mitts and Reinhart. Those latter 2 are skilled stickhandlers and have thicker frames and Reinhart does good work in front of the net. If Cozens has put on some muscle he has everything else he needs to play a regular shift in Buffalo-if he has some decent talent on his line. I guess it depends on alternatives but I can sure hope!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If you have him play center, you bracket him with quality wingers and give him O-zone heavy starts. If not, you put him on Eichel's wing and let the opposing dmen have fun trying to contain them
I don’t see Krueger separating Jack and Sam. He loves them together. You could throw Sam on the left side I suppose. But I’d be very surprised if he put Cozens on the top line as a teenage rookie. He was very protective of the youngsters (Mitts, Dahlin and Joker) last season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The bolded is an odd take

1) Sam had 23g 42pts as a rookie in his D+2 season. If Cozens did that it would be a pretty impactful rookie season.

2) If you were “paying attention” to Mitts development. You would see him stagnating in his D+1 season whereas Cozens took off in his. I don’t see Mitts helping much with figuring out expectations for Cozens.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The bolded is an odd take

1) Sam had 23g 42pts as a rookie in his D+2 season. If Cozens did that it would be a pretty impactful rookie season.

2) If you were “paying attention” to Mitts development. You would see him stagnating in his D+1 season whereas Cozens took off in his. I don’t see Mitts helping much with figuring out expectations for Cozens.

If Cozens is the 2C this season and had less than 45 pts, I doubt too many people would feel that was an impactful rookie season.

MoJo was on pace for 41pts as the 2C this season and he was a disappointment.

It is all about expectations and what people define as "huge impact".

If someone expect Cozens to have a "huge imapct" as the 2C this season, then I think they are likely to be disappointed.

I do believe he can make a positive impact (40-ish pts) either as a 3C in the right role or as a top 6 winger. But, we shall see.

Reactions: sabresEH

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I'll just beat @Aladyyn to the punch on this one, Sam might not be the best example to use in this case.

In his D+2 season he played in a top 6 role and on the 1st PP unit, led the team in ES points, and was probably our best possession forward. If we bring Cozens into that type of role and get that season out of him I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17 and Aladyyn

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Cozens is the 2C this season and had less than 45 pts, I doubt too many people would feel that was an impactful rookie season.

MoJo was on pace for 41pts as the 2C this season and he was a disappointment.

It is all about expectations and what people define as "huge impact".

If someone expect Cozens to have a "huge imapct" as the 2C this season, then I think they are likely to be disappointed.

I do believe he can make a positive impact (40-ish pts) either as a 3C in the right role or as a top 6 winger. But, we shall see.

I said nothing about 2C, Sam didn’t play 2C in his rookie season and you didn’t mention 2C in the post I quoted. So why bring it up?

I operate under the assumption Cozens will get no where near 2C with Krueger as head coach. If he puts up 40-ish points (As you mentioned) anywhere else. Thats a big impact. Thats especially true at 3C. We haven’t been able to put together an effective secondary scoring line during Jacks career. That would be a lot of found money.

My only expectation for Cozens is he makes the team. Need to see how the forward group shakes out, how they plan to use him, how quickly he adjusts to the NHL, etc to get a better handle on what to expect from him.

You seem at war with yourself. Simultaneously arguing against a potential big impact from Cozens while also saying he might put up 40-ish points. A rookie putting up that many points is a pretty huge plus for a team desperate for offense.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I said nothing about 2C, Sam didn’t play 2C in his rookie season and you didn’t mention 2C in the post I quoted. So why would you even bring it up?

You seem at war with yourself. Simultaneously arguing against a potential big impact from Cozens while also saying he might put up 40-ish points. A rookie putting up that many points is a pretty huge plus for a team desperate for offense.

I operate under the assumption Cozens will get no where near 2C with Krueger as head coach. If he puts up 40-ish points (As you mentioned) anywhere else. Thats a big impact. Thats especially true at 3C. We haven’t been able to put together an effective secondary scoring line during Jacks career. That would be a lot of found money.

My only expectation for Cozens is he makes the team. Need to see how the forward group shakes out, how they plan to use him, how quickly he adjusts to the NHL, etc to get a better handle on what to expect from him.

The post you quoted literally ended with “Now if anyone thinks that he will be the answer at 2C this coming season....”.

I was talking about what a “huge impact” is. I have a feeling that a lot of people won’t categorize a 40pt season as a “huge impact”.

If he puts up 40 pts in a third line role, that is a good impact. But, I wouldn’t call it huge.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The post you quoted literally ended with “Now if anyone thinks that he will be the answer at 2C this coming season....”.

I was talking about what a “huge impact” is. I have a feeling that a lot of people won’t categorize a 40pt season as a “huge impact”.

If he puts up 40 pts in a third line role, that is a good impact. But, I wouldn’t calm it huge.

Of course YOU wouldn’t call it huge. You’ve made that pretty clear. :laugh:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'd say 40 points on the 3rd line would be pretty huge, unless it was like 25+ on the PP. When was the last time we had that?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

If he puts up 40 pts in a third line role, that is a good impact. But, I wouldn’t calm it huge.

Adding 40 points from a forward not stapled to Eichel would be huge for this team, especially if Cozens can do that as a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->